Ray Freeman
United States
Berkeley
California
flag msg tools
designer
15 September 2017

Tigers in the Mist PBEM News

Hi all! It’s time to sign up for round 34 of the Tigers in the Mist Ladder.

If you want to be removed from this mailing list, please e-mail me to that effect.

Round 34 of the Tigers in the Mist PBEM Ladder will be started up real soon!! I’m aiming for a kick off day for the round of September 27. In order to get yourself paired for the start of this round, you need to e-mail me a confirmation that you want to participate in round 34 of the ladder. I need to hear from everyone by 6 pm PST on September 26. That’s not too far off!

The ladder has been running since January of 2000, a few months after the game was first published by GMT. We generally have 5-8 games going each round. All games are AREA rated, although an exception will be made for scenario playtesting. (See below)

For a copy of the ladder "rules", just e-mail me and ask.

Mike Kaye held serve at the top of the ladder. Mircea Pauca gets the next shot to take him out.

Remember that under the rules of the ladder, the top 4 ladder spots must play in each round in order to not drop in the standings. These players are:

1. Mike Kaye
2. Mircea Pauca
3. Jim Tracy
4. Ray Freeman

Current Standings

1 mk21122@verizon.net Mike Kaye
2 mircea.pauca@gmail.com Mircea Pauca
3 jimtracyII@gmail.com Jim Tracy
4 Rayfreeman3@comcast.net Ray Freeman
5 jrvinal@bellsouth.net John Vinal
6 runnjdave@yahoo.com David Wong
7 bhamel@cox.net Bob Hamel
8 Bjorn2WOK@aol.com Tom Thornsen
9 edenucci@gmail.com Eduardo De Nucci
10 charles_drozd@hotmail.com Charles Drozd

There’s quite a few players out there who have not participated on the ladder either at all or for some time. Here’s a chance to polish your skills in advance of the 2018 WBC.

Playtesting Scenario

I’ll be sending everyone my GM writeup on the 2017 WBC event very soon. We played a number of games at the WBC using a variant 5th Panzer Scenario, although it was difficult to get a sense of its balance. So, as part of the ladder play…or if you wish, off ladder, I’d like to see some additional playtesting.

We use the standard 5th Panzer Scenario as modified for the WBC. This means the bridges at Marnach and Holzhum will automatically repair at the end of the 16-3 impulse provided the Germans have units on both ends of the bridge and one is a non-moving engineer.

The Variant adds Aywaille and Oneux to the playing area. Aywaille is worth 2 VP per turn. Currently, a German victory is 14 VP. There is a suspicion that this may be slightly low.

A special rule has to be introduced to allow the 7th armored division to pass through Aywaille-Stoumont-Trois Ponts in order to stay within the general scenario rules and not mess up standard US play on 17-1. Movement through Stoumont is one way only! (We discovered this as an issue at the WBC)

Players are encouraged to try this variant out, as it may become standard fare soon. The idea, worked out by Dave Wong and Bryan Eshleman is to take away the quick knockout by taking Bastogne on the 17th, and the certain German loss if it doesn’t fall until the 20th or later.

There were a couple of pretty close games played at the WBC using the variant, and my sense was that it looks promising.

Conditions for Variant Scenario Games:
1. Both players must agree to use the variant, otherwise, play a normal game.
2. Variant games will be AREA rated only if both players agree.
3. You can also play off-ladder. I will take names of interested parties and match you up. Non-AREA play.

General Info

Anyone needing the Ladder Rules or the latest Errata and Clarifications, please e-mail me. The latest Errata is dated 1 Oct 2016.

Finally, if you decide to play, please see the game through. It’s not great to be paired with someone and have them disappear for long periods or just not respond. Basic courtesy is highly desirable. Also, if you are going on a cruise or something and may be out of e-mail touch for a couple of weeks or so, let your opponent know.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.