BoardGameGeek» Forums » Everything Else » Religion, Sex, and Politics

Subject: Canada's Defense Budget rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Bill Cook
United States
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
Just saw a not that Canada plans to buy $billion of US fighter jets as part of a large ramping up of their defense budget.

Any Canadians out there want to explain what's going on... who exactly is Canada going to war with.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andy Beaton
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
I have a cunning plan
mbmbmbmbmb
EMBison wrote:
Just saw a not that Canada plans to buy $billion of US fighter jets as part of a large ramping up of their defense budget.

Any Canadians out there want to explain what's going on... who exactly is Canada going to war with.

Trump has made it clear that the NATO countries - us and our European allies - cannot rely on the US to uphold their treaty obligations if a member state is attacked. A cynic would suggest that the risk of the US defaulting on their promises is twice as great if Russia is involved.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Wendell
United States
Yellow Springs
Ohio
flag msg tools
Si non potes reperire Berolini in tabula, ludens essetis non WIF.
badge
Hey, get your stinking cursor off my face! I got nukes, you know.
mbmbmbmbmb
aiabx wrote:
EMBison wrote:

Trump has made it clear that the NATO countries - us and our European allies - cannot rely on the US to uphold their treaty obligations if a member state is attacked. A cynic would suggest that the risk of the US defaulting on their promises is twice as great if Russia is involved.

This.

Also, Canada's defense spending had been waning for quite a while. Trump and his ridiculous waffling about Article V and comparing NATO to a protection racket is a bucket of cold water in the face of US allied defense establishments around the world. I wouldn't be surprised to see others increase defense spending, too.

Or cozying up to China (not really an option for Canada or European allies).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bill Cook
United States
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
wifwendell wrote:
Also, Canada's defense spending had been waning for quite a while. Trump and his ridiculous waffling about Article V and comparing NATO to a protection racket is a bucket of cold water in the face of US allied defense establishments around the world. I wouldn't be surprised to see others increase defense spending, too.

If I didn't no better, I'd think Trump was some sort of conniving genius. But I do know better.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andy Beaton
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
I have a cunning plan
mbmbmbmbmb
EMBison wrote:
wifwendell wrote:

If I didn't no better, I'd think Trump was some sort of conniving genius. But I do know better.

Well, so far the only time Article V has been invoked was after 9/11, when a number of NATO countries joined the fight against the Taliban. Trump has materially reduced the possibility that NATO will rally around the next time the US is attacked, and increased the possibility of a European war breaking out so you can decide if that's a win or not.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Pustilnik
United States
Bronx
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I would tend to think that this is not about Trump. He just isn't as important as he thinks he is, and there is a good chance he will not serve his full term.

In my opinion, this is about Putin. Putin is clearly threatening more aggression. The best way to deter Putin is to have strong conventional forces. If all members of NATO build up their forces, then there will be no war.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J J
Australia
flag msg tools
MikePustilnik wrote:
I would tend to think that this is not about Trump. He just isn't as important as he thinks he is, and there is a good chance he will not serve his full term.

In my opinion, this is about Putin. Putin is clearly threatening more aggression. The best way to deter Putin is to have strong conventional forces. If all members of NATO build up their forces, then there will be no war.

gulp

Those who will not learn from history are damned to repeat it.

And unfortunately the insane fuckers will take the rest of us with them.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Pustilnik
United States
Bronx
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
JasonJ0 wrote:
MikePustilnik wrote:

gulp

Please explain, I don't understand your post at all.

Putin has invaded the Ukraine and Georgia, and has supported the murderous Assad regime. Conventional NATO forces will certainly deter Putin from starting a war against NATO. This will result in no war.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J J
Australia
flag msg tools
MikePustilnik wrote:
JasonJ0 wrote:
MikePustilnik wrote:

gulp

Please explain, I don't understand your post at all.

Putin has invaded the Ukraine and Georgia, and has supported the murderous Assad regime. Conventional NATO forces will certainly deter Putin from starting a war against NATO. This will result in no war.

Of course it will. Just like a century ago. Military build-up is always the answer.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Pustilnik
United States
Bronx
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
JasonJ0 wrote:

Of course it will. Just like a century ago. Military build-up is always the answer.

I understand. Thank you for clarifying you answer.

Military build-up is not always the answer. Indeed, military build-up was probably the major cause of World War I.

In 1938, Britain and France tried to appease Hitler. This was a huge blunder. Standing united in the face of aggression could have prevented World War II.

When making important decisions, the lessons of history need to be applied carefully. Is the situation in Europe today similar to the situation in 1914, or to the situation in 1938, or is it unique?

The original mission of NATO was successful. Despite the enormous military power of the Soviet Union, NATO stood united and strong. Neither Khrushchev nor Brezhnev attacked, and there was no war.

During the Yeltsin era, NATO had no clear mission. Most of the forces that were built up during the Soviet era were dismantled. Why waste huge sums of money maintaining armies to defend against no one?

During the Putin era, NATO has a new mission, and it is similar to its old mission. By staying united and strong, NATO will deter Putin from attacking.

Edit: typo corrected
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.