Popular Tags: [View All]
Bruce Geryk
United States
Portland
Oregon
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Is there some kind wargamer in Eindhoven who might be persuaded to take a short video for me along the highway south to the Meuse-Escaut Canal, and north to Nijmegen? I am doing a video series on the Market Garden campaign and its attendant wargames, and was hoping to include footage of the modern-day "Hell's Highway." My videos are fairly well produced (or so I am told) so your contribution would go a long way toward helping me realize my concept of a comprehensive look at Market-Garden wargames. You would be prominently credited in the video and I could even see my way to buying you a copy of GMT's Holland '44 for your trouble :) It would not need to be more than 5 minutes long - just enough to give an idea of the terrain.

If you are thinking this is a crazy person posting this, my videos can be seen here:
http://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLprj3iBfMweajpPRUOUvcq...

Hopefully that will give you an idea of what the project entails.

Send me a BGG message if you can help :)

Thank you for reading!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sean
France
Paris 2ème et Normandie
Australian nationality
flag msg tools
Bleu, Blanc, Rouge: Liberté, Égalité et Fraternité.
badge
Ravens.
mbmbmbmbmb
I have a friend who lives near there who also carries the Polish resistance symbol on his prized backpack. Let me contact him to see if he can help you out.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Debije
Netherlands
Eindhoven
The Netherlands
flag msg tools
Crap, sounds nice, but I have no car. Good luck!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eddy Sterckx
Belgium
Vilvoorde
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
You could reach out in the Belgium forum as well as Hell's Highway started at Joe's Bridge, which is located in north-eastern Belgium and nearby Leopoldsburg has a wargame club.

We once drove the entire length of Hell's Highway all the way to Arnhem - took some nice pictures, but no video

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bart de Groot
United Kingdom
Oxfordshire
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
If you had asked a year ago I probably would've driven out and taken video, as I used to live not too far away in Belgium. But alas I moved away since then. You could try asking someone from my old wargaming group in Eindhoven: Oorlogsdag.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jim F
United Kingdom
Birmingham
West Midlands
flag msg tools
Who knew trench warfare could be such fun?
badge
Ashwin in front of Tiger 131
mbmbmbmbmb

Drove the route at the end of August, on our way to Arnhem. It wasn't very inspiring. Just to warn you.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eddy Sterckx
Belgium
Vilvoorde
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
A couple of pictures

Grave Bridge

Waal River Crossing Memorial

Driel Pontoon

Arnhem Bridge & Rhine

Groesbeek Heights - dropzones

Castle Hartenstein

Group picture

Bonus points to who can identify both wargame designers and a very well-known wargame graphics guy in there
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
André W.
Netherlands
Weert
Limburg
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I cross that canal each morning when I go to work near Lommel PM send.

I see a lot of guys traveled Hell's Highway by car, here's an alternative by foot. http://www.airbornepad.nl/ (Dutch) which is specially impressive in september. Did the tour from Lommel to Arnhem a couple of years ago.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jim F
United Kingdom
Birmingham
West Midlands
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb

Some pics from my recent trip to Arnhem.

Groesbeek, at the National Liberation Museum where I learnt it was the Nazis not Germany that invaded and occupied the Netherlands, as the 'meeter and greeter' quickly corrected himself. Ugh. There was an event there while we visited raising awareness about homeless dogs or similar. Yup, that's what WW2 was all about. Probably my least favourite museum of my whole trip.

One of the British Landing zones at Arnhem. A number of them were covered in crops several feet high and required a great deal of imagination to picture how they were on the 17th September 1944.

Replacement 'John Frost' Bridge for the one destroyed by the Germans - sorry, Nazis, in 1945. Still felt very evocative of the time.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bruce Geryk
United States
Portland
Oregon
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Those are some great pics, guys! I may want to use some as stills in the video - I will contact the people involved to discuss once I get further into the project.

Thanks to all. André, I PMed you back :)

I understand that the route itself has changed since that time - I am really trying to give an idea of then and now, how locations change, and give a visual flavor.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bob Zurunkel
United States
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Brooski wrote:
Those are some great pics, guys! I may want to use some as stills in the video - I will contact the people involved to discuss once I get further into the project.

Thanks to all. André, I PMed you back

I understand that the route itself has changed since that time - I am really trying to give an idea of then and now, how locations change, and give a visual flavor.

You might consider getting "Operation Market Garden: Then and Now" , Karel Margry, two volumes.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bruce Geryk
United States
Portland
Oregon
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Own it, thanks! :) You are right that it is excellent.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
G.W.
United States
Sebastopol
California
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
And of course there's always Google Street View, a gold mine of ground-level virtual tourism for wargamers and history buffs worldwide.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gamien Omen
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Broadsword56 wrote:
And of course there's always Google Street View, a gold mine of ground-level virtual tourism for wargamers and history buffs worldwide.

Depending on the location, this is an amazing resource. I recently tried Street View on the Gettysburg battlefield and was surprised to learn that I could "walk" from Cemetery Hill to Round Top in one unbroken trail.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andreas Krüger
Germany
Krefeld
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm sure that someone from Eindhoven can quickly do this, but if not, send me a GM and I may find an opportunity. Eindhoven is about an hour from where I live.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bruce Geryk
United States
Portland
Oregon
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks, Andreas. One person has already contacted me so I should be all set, but thank you very much for the kind offer.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Confusion Under Fire
United Kingdom
Warrington
Cheshire
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Probably not exactly what you are looking for but You Tube has some videos of journeys from Nijmegen to Arnhem using bicycle paths. This was after a couple of minutes searching, maybe something more fruitful might come up after a prolonged search.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jim F
United Kingdom
Birmingham
West Midlands
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb

I grew to hate those cycle paths. As we wandered about we were constantly in someone's way, getting dirty looks or nearly run over. A Dutch woman joked with us that the real reason they hated the Germans was because they stole all their bicycles.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris
Switzerland
Luzern
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Hey Bruce, really enjoyed your DBP video series!

I live in Switzerland, but my daughter goes to university in Arnhem and I am visiting frequently. Was just there a couple weeks ago, and stopoed into the local museums, have many pics I can send you. There are a couple good museums in Arnhem itself, and a fantastic (and huge) war museum in Overloon NL, less than an hour away. Probably will do the drive to Arnhem again (it's about 7 hours from whre I live) sometime in the fall...."hells highway" is part of the driving route, no prob to take a video and send to you. Let me know your email adress and I'll send you some local pics in the meantime.

Best Regards, Chris.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Smith
United Kingdom
Wigton
Cumbria
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I have used Google streetview to "check" current battle site LOS against wargame map LOS in a few games (Wellington's Victory, Ney vs Wellington, Terrible Swift Sword). Its an amusing and revealing pastime.....

I think it demonstrates that LOS is pretty restricted except from certain key dominating positions above concave slopes. I don't think most wargames are capable of showing this.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eddy Sterckx
Belgium
Vilvoorde
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
eddy_sterckx wrote:

Group picture

Bonus points to who can identify both wargame designers and a very well-known wargame graphics guy in there

If anyone is still interested :

The guy in the red sweater is Dave O'Connor (Panther Games), the guy to the left of him is Victor Reijkersz Designs designer of what's arguably the best digital operational level combat series Decisive Campaigns and the guy on the right with the camera is Marc von Martial who did the Lock 'n Load graphics among other things.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.