Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Tim Earl
United States
Portage
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Given the play time listed on the box (2-3 hours), is this actually a new edition of A Brief History of the World as opposed to History of the World?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Rivera
Canada
Ajax
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmb
Does this edition come with tokens,cubes or plastic minis ?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Per Glöde
Sweden
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I wish it is the smaller swifter map and empires from ABHotW, combined with the original rules for empire selection, which I think was more entertaining. It is a shame that ABHotW has gotten so little attention. The original game is waaaaay to long. ABHotW actually delivers its promise to halve the game time.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Sosa
United States
Newark
Delaware
flag msg tools
badge
I will break him.
mbmbmbmbmb
I don't know. I played A Brief ... on the iPhone a bunch of times and participated in an online tournament. While it is a good game I still strongly prefer the original AH edition which I own. Also the AH edition is the only one I've seen played at tournaments. So that would seem to indicate the original is the "better" game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bernie Roessler
United States
Visalia
California
flag msg tools
badge
Why were we not in the movie?
mbmbmbmbmb
I think most people on BGG would prefer Brief. I would say Brief is a better game but the the original is a better experience.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Marentette
Canada
Montreal
Quebec
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
I have both and have played both. I appreciate the shorter game length of the more recent version. I will buy the Z-Man version.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
W. Eric Martin
United States
Apex
North Carolina
flag msg tools
admin
designer
badge
cheng wrote:
Given the play time listed on the box (2-3 hours), is this actually a new edition of A Brief History of the World as opposed to History of the World?

The press release for this game announcement gave few details about the gameplay, so I think we'll need to wait and see.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Doug Adams
Australia
Oakleigh
Victoria
flag msg tools
badge
Nearing Weathertop
mbmbmbmbmb
Belisarius88 wrote:
So that would seem to indicate the original is the "better" game.

Brief is the latest and best version. The Ragnars did a great job cleaning it up. I'm very interested in how this edition has come about, and what input the designers have had here. I'm sure they'll be along with information.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dale Braun
United States
Beaverton
Oregon
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I'll just wait for the Cliff Notes History of the World...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stephen Coney
Croatia
Zaprešić
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
W Eric Martin wrote:
cheng wrote:

The press release for this game announcement gave few details about the gameplay, so I think we'll need to wait and see.

But that would keep us from endlessly speculating based on no information. I was looking forward to getting angry with some of you for your obtuseness after a few days of exchange.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brad Pasmeny
Canada
St. Albert
Alberta
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I have both of the previous versions.

Not sure about the necessity of the Z-Man version for myself. But glad this game system is getting a re-release. It deserves the attention it will generate.

Excellent game, and I highly recommend it!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Sosa
United States
Newark
Delaware
flag msg tools
badge
I will break him.
mbmbmbmbmb
I have so many games that sometimes it takes a rerelease to remind me of how good some of my older games are! Recently I have been playing a lot of Wallace's Empires of the Ancient World. That title doesn't deserve the BGG rating it has. Wallace should revisit it.

Anyways I'm always willing to play any version of History of the World but I'm only interested in owning one copy. Speaking of which I have an unpunched copy of the AH version for trade or sale. :-)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jon W
United States
Aurora
CO
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
dougadamsau wrote:
Belisarius88 wrote:

Brief is the latest and best version. The Ragnars did a great job cleaning it up. I'm very interested in how this edition has come about, and what input the designers have had here. I'm sure they'll be along with information.

Brief did some nice things (I esp. like the unique card effects for some civs), but I don't think it's the "best", whatever that really means. The differential system can create even higher-variance results than the old method, some civs have such small armies that there are few if any interesting choices, and empire selection is both clunkier and way less interesting.

I really only have room for one version as well, and when it came down to it, I sold Brief, and it had nothing to do with the asking price.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Doug Adams
Australia
Oakleigh
Victoria
flag msg tools
badge
Nearing Weathertop
mbmbmbmbmb
waddball wrote:
dougadamsau wrote:
Belisarius88 wrote:

Brief did some nice things (I esp. like the unique card effects for some civs), but I don't think it's the "best", whatever that really means.

Sorry, best meant best for me

Reducing epochs, armies, board spaces, wristage, adding standard unit pieces standing/laying down, adding overruns, etc, shaved hours off the play time. That suited me.

I fully understand that others will likely want a different beast.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jon W
United States
Aurora
CO
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
dougadamsau wrote:
Sorry, best meant best for me

Sure, I get that, no need for any "sorry".

And I'm sure the Ragnars will present convincing evidence that this new version is the best one yet, just as they did when they came out with Brief.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Doug Adams
Australia
Oakleigh
Victoria
flag msg tools
badge
Nearing Weathertop
mbmbmbmbmb
waddball wrote:

And I'm sure the Ragnar's will present convincing evidence that this new version is the best one yet, just as they did when they came out with Brief.

I look forwards to reading it!

Just hoping their Darien Apocalypse Kickstarter gets over the line first!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Ryan
Australia
Footscray
Victoria
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
dougadamsau wrote:

Phew! I just bought Olly Brief for his upcoming birthday.
When I saw this newer version about to be released I thought aaaaaaagh!!! I should have waited.
Nice to know Brief will be fine.
I still like the original we've played over the years. Pity it' s just a tad too long to be finished in one sitting.

Curious to see what this newer one brings to the table.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Ryan
Australia
Footscray
Victoria
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
I should add, having done a bit of research recently on a bunch of civ/empire building games as a suitable present for my son, HoTW and its successor Brief really stack up. Along with being really well put together games that are accessible to a broad range of ages, they're also great tools for teaching a bit of history and geography. And they're fun and engaging.
I think their bgg rankings belie just how good they are.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tim Earl
United States
Portage
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
barmyfongyphipps wrote:
I should add, having done a bit of research recently on a bunch of civ/empire building games as a suitable present for my son, HoTW and its successor Brief really stack up. Along with being really well put together games that are accessible to a broad range of ages, they're also great tools for teaching a bit of history and geography. And they're fun and engaging.
I think their bgg rankings belie just how good they are.

The iOS app is also very well done.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Albert
Canada
Ottawa
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I have the AH version in my collection but have not played it in years as it takes so long.

It would be great if the new streamlined rules can be used with the old components.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Doug Adams
Australia
Oakleigh
Victoria
flag msg tools
badge
Nearing Weathertop
mbmbmbmbmb
cheng wrote:

The iOS app is also very well done.

Agreed - one of my favourite commute games on the train!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Ryan
Australia
Footscray
Victoria
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
spriggster wrote:
I have the AH version in my collection but have not played it in years as it takes so long.

It would be great if the new streamlined rules can be used with the old components.

Yup, I agree. I like the old AH version, where sometimes you can see empires of different ages lasting well beyond their "use-by-date", against the tide of history. My Sumerians in one game lasted into the 4th or 5th epoch, something silly like that. Legendary stuff!

We used to play over two sessions, getting through epochs 1-4 in one night and follow up with the larger epochs 5-7 the following session. Because we met roughly on a monthly basis, Doug mocked up a really neat spreadsheet detailing all the regions and we'd record each player's position on the board (armies, monuments, forts etc), current score and the special cards they had. We also kept record of the empires each player had taken for discussion/post-mortem after the game.

I guess it is a bit fiddly recording everything, but not as tedious as it sounds (Andrew and Doug are pretty sharp/quick with this kind of stuff). In all it took about 10 mins, and something similar to set up with everyone helping at the next session. It worked for us and made a long but terrific game palatable to play. We've had a lot of fun with it over the years.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeremy Pyne
United States
Grand Rapids
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Hrm, now to decide if I want this new edition or Conquest of Nerath witch I also really enjoyed........
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nate
United States
Philadelphia
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Here's Z-Man's announcement statement, not a lot of details on changes:

Z-Man Games: Announcing the Remastered History of the World
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tim Earl
United States
Portage
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Well, the map sure looks like Brief History, and there are only 5 epochs. So that's a good sign (for someone like me who wants a game more like Brief History).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.