BoardGameGeek» Forums » Gaming Related » Recommendations

Subject: Small games that travel well and/or theme park friendly rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Heather

Richmond
Virginia
msg tools
My SO and I are making a big trip to Disney and Universal later this year and while I know there's tons of fun to be had and we'll have lots to do, there is also some FOMO gaming happening on our end. We are used to playing a variety of games a few times a week. Any suggestions for two player games that could be played while standing in long lines or during meals? Preferably ones small enough to fit in a fannypack or small backpack.

We will definitely have one of our Love Letters and similar card games but are trying to think outside the box about what the possibilities may be! Looking forward to what others come up with!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dice bags!
United States
Wurtsboro
NY
flag msg tools
admin
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Hive Pocket
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Greg Darcy
Australia
Blue Mountains
New South Wales
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
indigopotter wrote:
Hive Pocket

+1 But not for standing in a queue. For that you need..
The Fox in the Forest

Or perhaps
Cribbage
Or
Euchre
(I used the play the last while riding a bus standing up)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ryan Keane
United States
Medford
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmb
Here are a few 2-player card games that can be played without any playing surface:
oddball Äeronauts
Mine, All Mine!
Dragon Punch

Ace of Aces: Handy Rotary Series also work if you can find a copy

If you have a dice-rolling app on your phone and perhaps have a way to mount it to your backpack hands-free for example, then there are many roll-and-writes that are great to play almost anywhere with laminated sheets.

Racetrack just requires a laminated sheet of graph paper and some dry erase markers.

These don't pack that small, but I could imagine using a phone to take notes and playing Sherlock Holmes Consulting Detective: The Thames Murders & Other Cases or Mythos Tales. Playing those 2-player co-op, playing each scenario is spurts when you have time, would really feel like time well spent, rather than just little 2-player game fillers.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
No One
United States
Burien
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb

+1 to oddball Äeronauts and the sequel oddball Aeronauts 2: Double the Trouble.

~V

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Laura Creighton
Sweden
Göteborg
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Ace of Aces had a reprint kickstarter of the first book in the series (more are planned). I bought 2 copies from Flying Buffalo directly in March 2017. see http://www.flyingbuffalo.com/ace.htm -- maybe they still have more copies.

Mr. Jack Pocket also works. But I liked the original Mr. Jack so much more than the pocket version that I made a magnetic version of Mr Jack to play in Queues. EDIT: you can replace the great big clunky tiles with a tokens you can draw from a sack.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Williams
United States
Midlothian
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
(I'm the SO) So far, we've decided on oddball Aeronauts at the very least, it looks super fun. I'm going to look into The Fox in the Forest.

Thanks for the suggestions, if anyone else has any more please feel free to comment!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Peter BOSCO'S
United States
Anchorage
Unspecified
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
How about a standard deck of playing cards? Very portable, and it can be used to play a lot of games. If you have a plastic deck it's even rainproof.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
xffan 2000

Florida
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
As an Annual Passholder at WDW, I'm there *a lot* and I'd strongly suggest just a tablet with pass-and-play board games.

It's just too much of a hassle to try to deal with cards or pieces while in line, and restaurants pose their own special issues.

A tablet can carry lots of games that can be stopped/started at a moment's notice and you can use it for video/picture-taking. WDW also has free guest wi-fi.

My favorite iPad games are:

Splendor
Elder Sign
Jaipur
Ticket to Ride
Lanterns: The Harvest Festival
Lords of Waterdeep
Race for the Galaxy
Patchwork
Agricola: All Creatures Big and Small

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.