4 Posts

Arkham Horror: The Card Game» Forums » General

Subject: Impressions of Sefina rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
soak man
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Just played the first scenario of Carcosa as Sefina, and I had sooooo much fun. I thought I was really going to struggle with her as I don't have a 2nd core set and the options available to her limit her successful investigations and attack options.

I don't know if I had a lucky game, but boy was I wrong.

Of my starting 13 cards, 5 were events so that worked perfectly. I also drew a Painted World in my opening hand giving me a lot of flexibility. One of the cards under Sefina was Backstab which allowed me an available 3 damage attack if I had 3 resources (and another if I spent an action to take the card back into my hand). Additionally I had an uncage the soul under Sefina, and a copy of shriveling in my hand, which I opted to pay for, but I could have played for free.

We earned 6 xp from the first scenario, so I am going to put a couple of lockpicks in the deck to help with the investigation phases, but all in all, I was impressed.

We were playing on easy, but I found her very fun.

Thoughts from anyone else using her? I'm excited to see where she ends up 8+ scenarios from now.

(BTW, our party consists of Sefina, Rex, and Wendy. Not an incredibly well-balanced team, but so far it's worked very well)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ian Lim
Philippines
Iloilo
Oton
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
my taughts about sefina:

i find her more of a mystic than a rogue, at the start of the game i put only 4 rogue cards in her deck and most cards are mystic, you need to build her deck 40%-50% events, she really love events, in scenario 1 I played 2 painted world just to copy delve too deep (I need a confirmation on this, but i think it works), assets that she needs are just shriveling, rite of seeking, arcane initiate and holy rosary and everything else are events (and some skills) and she is awesome!

which i also did write my session here
my taughts on sefina was written at last part.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
soak man
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
dchamp wrote:
my taughts about sefina:

i find her more of a mystic than a rogue, at the start of the game i put only 4 rogue cards in her deck and most cards are mystic, you need to build her deck 40%-50% events, she really love events, in scenario 1 I played 2 painted world just to copy delve too deep (I need a confirmation on this, but i think it works), assets that she needs are just shriveling, rite of seeking, arcane initiate and holy rosary and everything else are events (and some skills) and she is awesome!

which i also did write my session here
my taughts on sefina was written at last part.

Delve too Deep does not copy correctly with Painted World. The copy reverts back to "Painted World" as soon as it leaves play and enters the victory display. It will remain in the victory display, but it will no longer have any victory points, so you would not earn any extra xp. You would however, still resolve the extra encounters.

I thought she would be more mystic than rogue myself, but my first game seemed to really demonstrate that she can be excellent at either as a rogue often does not need to attack to deal damage, and sometimes exhausting an enemy is just as strong as wasting actions killing it. I saved both of the other players in the first scenario by evading a nasty enemy with retaliate.

She seems very versatile and useful so long as you don't pull any straight combat or intelligence checks.

I am very much considering song of the dead over shriveling since she can't upgrade it. Maybe a couple of ritual candles too.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Aaron Freeman
United States
Arcata
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Right now she is a mystic in a rogue disguise. Pending some future cards, that will be her for the forseeable future.

However, if Rogue or Mystic ever get some great items that have ammo/supply and work with will/evasion she will get a lot of mileage out of sleight of hand.

Also, I cannot help but feel like eventually Daring Maneuver will be almost as ubiquitous as Lucky, simply because there are many powerful leveled effects that play with the succeeds by two mechanic (unfortunately, the best ones are not Rogue or Mystic).

Anyway, just my two cents. She will be a great gator one day and she is by far my favorite rogue right now, but she is a quintessential third or fourth group member in that she lacks a great deal of focus. She cannot reliably fight or investigate and evasion is still waiting for further development in the card pool.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.