Eric Bridge
United States
Roanoke
Virginia
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
So my wife and son and I are still in the beginner section/area of the Voracious Goddess curse. We're doing OK, making mistakes here and there, burning through cards, but then hunting to get them back. But all the while we're trying to find the
Spoiler (click to reveal)
gears to work the submarine
. We go to one location we hadn't been to yet and acquired one of the objects we were looking for! So we excitedly go back to the
submarine
, which burns more cards, only to find out
that we need a second gear to make it work
Now we're a little miffed, mainly because
you have to keep drawing 2-3 cards just to get across those silly rocks
. At this point, there are 3 spots we haven't checked yet, so we burn some more cards to check those out. And we only find
other points to swim away from the island, and also an annoying swarm of bugs, but no second gear!
At this point my son quits in frustration, and my wife steps away. We are thinking that we have been duped/tricked into going on a fool's errand, and that in truth
there is NO SECOND GEAR on the island!
And I confess that I myself am despairing and believing that this is a really cheap move on the game's part.

At this point the rest of the family is watching TV, and I'm still sitting there wondering if I should pack it all up and sell the game. And then ...

BIG SPOILER COMING. DO NOT READ IF YOU HAVEN'T COMPLETED THE FIRST AREA!

I'm saying to myself "They wouldn't do this to us. We MUST have missed something!" So I get out the magnifying glass and start closely examining every terrain card on the board, and THEN I see it. Some numbers scribbled into the grass. I call out to my wife in the next room "Whoa! We DID miss something!" I read a couple more cards, and,
sure enough, we find the elusive second gear!

We had burned a bunch of cards to find it, but we hunted again to shuffle some more cards into the draw deck, made our way back to the
submarine, started it up, and now we are on the 7th continent proper. Got some nice XP for doing so as well.
We saved our game there, and now I am loving this game again. My wife seems to like it still. My son, however, is hard to win back after he has been angered. I hope that he will give it at least one more go.

Anyway, this is just an example of how rich, and yes even frustrating, it can be to figure things out in this game. It's like one giant escape room

Thanks for reading. Wish us luck!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Julien K
Japan
Kyoto
flag msg tools
Funny, I was kind of able to read the whole story without looking at the spoilers laugh

Hope the best for the next part of your adventure !
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mario
United States
Mesa
United States
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Don't worry, it's all sunshine and roses after you get off the starting island
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jens Kreutzer
Germany
Unspecified
Unspecified
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I only
spotted that hidden number
in my eighth game. I had always
left the island the hard way before, with a raft or swimming - which nearly exhausts your entire deck.
So you needn't feel too bad.
I thought that the second gear was perhaps on the mainland...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
marc lecours
Canada
ottawa
ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Looking for the gear is a choice. You can swim. There are cards that help you swim. That is one thing I love about the game, if you get blocked there are usually options !

We got lost. We went the wrong way. But we used geographical thinking and found the Voracious Goddess the hard way. This is such a well thought out game. It is not simply a linear path to follow. There are choices. This is a world to explore.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve Gitis (just my village's name)
Greece
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Eric Bridge, if you actually read the text on the back of card
, it gives you a hint! Nothing in this game is there by chance. Every text, every symbol, everything that happens, is there for a reason!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marc Bennett
United States
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
great story! I love the stories that pop up in this game.

I'm curious though how you are hunting so much on the beginning island.... I'm pretty sure you can only hunt once and then the card gets banished and your don't hunting until you leave.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Watkins
msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Klaxas wrote:
great story! I love the stories that pop up in this game.

I'm curious though how you are hunting so much on the beginning island.... I'm pretty sure you can only hunt once and then the card gets banished and your don't hunting until you leave.

The rule that you have to banish a green card when you replace it with a gold is easy to miss (and not in the easily missed rules.)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric Bridge
United States
Roanoke
Virginia
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
That is true. Thanks for pointing that out. We'll try to remember this in the future

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.