Popular Tags: [View All]
Jakub Kircun
United States
Woods Hole
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I have a quick question about chemical weapon capabilities. The series rules specify that once a chemical weapon marker has been placed on the map it will remain there until the end of the turn, affecting any units that occupy that hex. My questions are these:

A) The DPRK uses a chemical attack on a hex, all Allied units in the hex are either eliminated or retreat, the assaulting DPRK units advance into the hex. Will those advancing DPRK units now be themselves subjected to the same negative effects of the chemical marker if Allied units attack them later that same turn?

B) I find the working of the GSR rules confusing, especially 6.2.2. The rules say that the DPRK can provide chemical weapons support up to 3 combats in per combat segment. However, as per the series rules, once a chemical warfare marker is placed it stays in that hex for the rest of the turn. Therefore, I'm assuming that once all three markers are used, the DPRK can no longer place any more, or remove any previously place markers to place somewhere else, until the turn that is. Is this correct?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mitchell Land
United States
Ballwin
Missouri
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
kubaman wrote:
I have a quick question about chemical weapon capabilities. The series rules specify that once a chemical weapon marker has been placed on the map it will remain there until the end of the turn, affecting any units that occupy that hex. My questions are these:

A) The DPRK uses a chemical attack on a hex, all Allied units in the hex are either eliminated or retreat, the assaulting DPRK units advance into the hex. Will those advancing DPRK units now be themselves subjected to the same negative effects of the chemical marker if Allied units attack them later that same turn?

Yes.

Quote:
B) I find the working of the GSR rules confusing, especially 6.2.2. The rules say that the DPRK can provide chemical weapons support up to 3 combats in per combat segment. However, as per the series rules, once a chemical warfare marker is placed it stays in that hex for the rest of the turn. Therefore, I'm assuming that once all three markers are used, the DPRK can no longer place any more, or remove any previously place markers to place somewhere else, until the turn that is. Is this correct?

Yes.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jakub Kircun
United States
Woods Hole
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks Mitchell!

Some more questions and comments:

A) From the ground combat table it would seem that the reduction in ER from a chemical weapon marker only applies when a unit is a defender in that hex. In other words, can a unit in hex with a chemical marker attack without penalty?

B) If a unit with CW marker finds itself isolated during the surrender phase, would it suffer the ER reduction for the surrender roll, therefore increasing the chance for a surrender?

C) Chemical weapon markers can definitely be a double edged sword, since they open the original aggressor into a tempting target for a counterattack. Several tactical considerations come to mind: First, a CW attack is probably most effective if you have the expectation of a 2-hex advance after combat, enabling the attacking stack to bypass the affected hex, and therefore avoiding the negative effects of the CW marker themselves. Second, the reaction player could use such an attack during the reaction combat phase, and therefore avoid any chance of counterattack while suffering the effects of the CW marker.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mitchell Land
United States
Ballwin
Missouri
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
kubaman wrote:
Thanks Mitchell!

Some more questions and comments:

A) From the ground combat table it would seem that the reduction in ER from a chemical weapon marker only applies when a unit is a defender in that hex. In other words, can a unit in hex with a chemical marker attack without penalty?

Sloppy language in the rules and unclear on my part, but, yes, CW only affects defenders.

Quote:
B) If a unit with CW marker finds itself isolated during the surrender phase, would it suffer the ER reduction for the surrender roll, therefore increasing the chance for a surrender?

Yes.

Quote:
C) Chemical weapon markers can definitely be a double edged sword, since they open the original aggressor into a tempting target for a counterattack. Several tactical considerations come to mind: First, a CW attack is probably most effective if you have the expectation of a 2-hex advance after combat, enabling the attacking stack to bypass the affected hex, and therefore avoiding the negative effects of the CW marker themselves. Second, the reaction player could use such an attack during the reaction combat phase, and therefore avoid any chance of counterattack while suffering the effects of the CW marker.

In a nutshell.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.