4 Posts

Spirit Island» Forums » General

Subject: Advice for Solo Player: better two-handed or "true" solo? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
George MaHarris
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
So I'm finding this game immensely addictive, but also a bit frustrating. I haven't quite cracked into it with a feeling of confidence that I'm using the best (or even a mediocre but successful) method to confront the speed at which the intensity of invader activity ramps up. I've been reviewing the (extremely helpful) beginner strategy articles, and I may be starting to get it. Maybe

I initially played true solo (first with Shadows Flickers like Flame, where I won, but accidentally got a first turn rule wrong which I think would have changed the tempo of the entire game, and Vital Strength, which I got destroyed with) and then have played a few rounds two-handed (pairing Vital Strength with the other two beginner spirits), where no matter how good of a combo I set up, I'm always two or three steps behind invaders.

This is all a long preamble for a simple question: for those of you playing solo, do you prefer to play with a single spirit or two? Is there anyone so foolhardy as to try more??

It seems that part of the global strategy of the game is the interaction between spirits, with some compensating for the downsides of others, but I feel so overwhelmed trying to coordinate any meaningful two-handed strategy. On the other hand, some of the spirits just don't seem viable solo, especially if you're pulling from shuffled power decks (which I have tried to do so far, unsuccessfully). I've been focusing on Vital Earth a lot, because I feel like that is the "beginner" spirit with the most insight into how to understand the mechanics involving the use of the Dahan to repel Invaders by combining defense and some gathering/pushing. But still.

Oh no, I just realized this post is getting too looooooooooong
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonathan Zev
msg tools
badge
All knowledge is worth having
mbmbmbmbmb
Have you taken a look at this thread?

https://boardgamegeek.com/thread/1845549/solo-should-i-play-...

Also, every spirit can beat the game solo. Some are more challenging than others, but all are more than capable.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
George MaHarris
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
laughlaughlaugh

Well don't I feel like a right nitwit! It even has basically the same subject line.

I would be curious if people were confident that every spirit can win solo *in every scenario*. I, for obvious reasons, haven't tried them out yet, but I know that scale up the complexity and difficulty quite a bit.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dylan Thurston
United States
Ann Arbor
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
petronius15 wrote:
I would be curious if people were confident that every spirit can win solo *in every scenario*. I, for obvious reasons, haven't tried them out yet, but I know that scale up the complexity and difficulty quite a bit.
Go ahead and post your question in the other thread, and I'll add some thoughts there.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.