Jason Perez
United States
Meriden
Connecticut
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Hey everyone. If you want to know all about the backstory of the game, including all of its adventures on Kickstarter, we have the podcast for you! I sat down with Michael Coe and Scott Almes and pulled no punches in an interview talking about everything the game went through.

I hope you enjoy!

Website Link: http://boardgamersanonymous.com/engn-episode-52-heroes-land-...

Direct Download: http://tableforone.libsyn.com/engn-episode-52-heroes-of-land...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
HERMANN LUTTMANN
United States
New York
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Great interview, Jason!
I really appreciated Michael going in depth into the business end of the project. Very interesting stuff, especially as many gamers tend to forget that the "game industry" is still real-world business and that owners need to remain viable in order to continue to produce new and exciting games. As a designer myself I've dealt with many game publishers and they all sound very similar to Michael - simultaneously very positive about their new products and at the same time extremely concerned and wary of the risks inherent in the game business. Great insights by Michael and Scott, of whom I've become a huge fan. There's no doubt that Gamelyn is, in my eyes anyway, one of the great game companies out there right now.

Thanks for posting this up - well done!
Hermann
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Molina
United States
Tucson
Arizona
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
HORST324 wrote:
Great interview, Jason!
I really appreciated Michael going in depth into the business end of the project. Very interesting stuff, especially as many gamers tend to forget that the "game industry" is still real-world business and that owners need to remain viable in order to continue to produce new and exciting games. As a designer myself I've dealt with many game publishers and they all sound very similar to Michael - simultaneously very positive about their new products and at the same time extremely concerned and wary of the risks inherent in the game business. Great insights by Michael and Scott, of whom I've become a huge fan. There's no doubt that Gamelyn is, in my eyes anyway, one of the great game companies out there right now.

Thanks for posting this up - well done!
Hermann

+1 to everything here. I've not been fortunate enough to meet Mr. Almes but I've meet Mr. Coe (and Mr. Hatfield) on 2 occasions now and they are great people. Very nice, approachable, and just excited to talk to fans. His enthusiasm in these interviews is 100% genuine, not for hype.

You are 100% right about this being a business. I have zero doubt they want to put out the best game they can. But I also think they want to make money doing it as well, which is expected from anyone with any common sense I think. The amount of grief he took early with HoLAS was nothing short of insane. At no point did they try to hide or mislead. From the start he took responsibility and said mistakes were made.

I'll be a supporter of Gamelyn Games for the long haul. Mr. Almes puts out fun games and they have great value to them. I've always been into board games but I'm older now. My friends and I don't get together nearly as much as we wished we did. That's just life. But thanks to these games I'm able to start playing again due to the solo aspects and it's fun with such great themes. Fantasy? Check. Western? Check. Sci-fi? Check. And they all play differently, to just the same game with a new extiereor slapped on it. I can't wait until more of these gems come out. Plus they play great as well if I can get someone to the table with me.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.