13 Posts

The 7th Continent» Forums » General

Subject: How often do you die on desperate hunts + rate curses. rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Crazed Survivor
France
flag msg tools
The Orzhov welcome you. Please leave your belongings with the Obzedat. They are not yours anymore.
badge
Hi, I'm a european crested tit, and a very small punk rocker!
mbmbmbmbmb
Disclosure: I absolutely hate hunting in this game and have house-ruled that green hunt and fishing cards aren't banished but discarded and thus reloaded in future sessions.
Also, there's rant in there somewhere somehow.

Hey folks,
I'm currently g-g-g-g-grinding my way through to the terribly grindy curse that is Offering to the Guardians and after yet another session of hunt: snake; hunt: empty-handed; hunt: fail skill-check; hunt: die, I'm wondering how many of you die on gold hunts. They're a big deal breaker for me, and they're ever so obnoxious even with advanced skills, idols and my personal variant (which does not make the game that much easier, but makes backtracking more manageable). Interestingly since my second adventure I haven't died to anything but a hunt. Despite the very lucky "exploration card: get double-poisoned, get paranoid, hungry and freezing and mill action deck to death lololol"
Next game will probably be: gift food x5; hunt; reload and hunt; reload and hunt; eat; reload and hunt; reload and hunt; reload and hunt; gift food x5.

Additionally, what do you think of the curses?
Myself, I'd say (mild spoilers):

Voracious Goddess - A good opening curse that lets you discover the Continent but is not replayable at all once you've solved it. A interesting one-shot that you can play until you solve it but not afterwards.
Offering to the Guardians - A pretty uninteresting grindfest that forces you to choose between "character development" and lifting the curse. Replayable but really not to be undertaken on its own. A rather weak curse that would not motivate a new adventure by itself.
Black Chest of whatever - An annoying troll. I'm still looking for the 5th (and good) idol and have no clue where it is. I guess that it doubles Offering alright if you manage to succeed the action several times, but still, not very interesting. A very weak curse with no replay-value that will not motivate a new adventure by itself.
The Bloody Hunt - A interesting and exciting curse that gets added replay-value with each expansion, and makes for a pleasant trip around the Continent. You'll definitely benefit from playing the Voracious Goddess. A rather strong curse that is in itself enough to motivate a new adventure. Plus there's violence. I like violence.

So all-in-all, the base box has one decent tutorial, one good curse, and two poor/very poor curses.
Well I sure hope the three expansions' curse are more interesting. I've not tried them yet as I wanted to solve the core game curses first but I don't think I'll bother if I yet again die to a hunt.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Elia - "Rainbow Hippie" Acca
Italy
Bergamo
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
We haven't died yet. We play the easy variant and burned the 777 card drawing a curse the only time we ever drew from the discard.
And it was on a green hunt, but it also was our first hunt ever, we got really unlucky with the stars and with the 150 draw, on top of the fact that we definitely weren't prepared. After that, it's gone swimmingly. We've done a decent number of gold hunts,
Spoiler (click to reveal)
at the pond in the jungle,
and we've focused on hunting, fighting, and stealth gear,
the last one is for the boars
which helped a whole lot. Repeating gold hunts is risky, and once we got unlucky thrice in a row, but that's because we were being greedy and not using equipment we should have been using.

Then a big influx of cards came from another source.
from the 050 cards...

We've done an amazing amount of backtracking and that's been a bit of a grind, but food hasn't really been a huge problem.
Now we have
both eyes,
so I think we should be closeish to the end of the adventure. We are planning a last golden hunt before leaving the area we are in, though - let's hope it goes well.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Crazed Survivor
France
flag msg tools
The Orzhov welcome you. Please leave your belongings with the Obzedat. They are not yours anymore.
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Accatitippi wrote:
We haven't died yet. We play the easy variant and burned the 777 card drawing a curse the only time we ever drew from the discard.

Geez, tough luck. Glad you've made up for it afterwards with successful gold hunts! Best of luck for the remainder of your adventure
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Murray
United Kingdom
Driffield
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
On the Voracious Goddess we died three times before being successful. This is a large and long curse to start the game with - enjoyed it but a shorter intro curse would have been good.

Offering of the Guardians twice before being successful - yep, gold hunts got us twice! However we still quite enjoyed this curse - still discovering new aspects of the island which is keeping it fun.

We enjoy restarting a curse and trying to optimise our actions - just like the choose your own adventure books that inspired the game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Crazed Survivor
France
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
So basically it's more the Continent you enjoy, than the curse itself?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ren
Italy
Pavia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Haven't died yet. Though I haven't done many gold hunts at all, just a couple; I prefer to detour and find a place that still has green hunts.

As for the curse, I'll only give my opinion on those I completed...

Voracious Goddess: One of my favourites, loved the sense of exploration. Good starting curse, a bit tricky sometimes but works well to introduce the continent to the player.
Offering to the Guardians: Probably the most pedestrian, I'm glad I didn't play it on its own. Even when played with other curses it feels grindy and not a real challenge. Wouldn't replay.
Dark Chest: I also found the correct idol on my 5th try. I feel there's an issue with the curse if you play it in conjunction with some of the other base curses.
You start Dark Chest very close to where you have to go, but if you're playing Voracious Goddess or Bloody Hunt your location is all the way over in tutorial island. So you have no clue where the 5th idol is, and it's not precisely easy to find just wandering around.

Aside from the luck-dependant opening of the chest, it's a very short curse (makes sense since it was a stretch goal) and not particularly replayable.
Bloody Hunt: A pleasant surprise, I thought it would be just a matter of finding the totems but it was much more challenging than that! At first I couldn't find some of the trophies so I was like "okay there's nothing here". After a while I figured it out and went back to find all those I missed. Very replayable, I think I'll always play new curses together with Bloody Hunt. Likely I wouldn't have enjoyed myself so much while doing Offering+Dark Chest if it wasn't for this curse providing me with very interesting side quests.
Bonus/overarching curse:
Read only if you assembled the history of the continent!
The Ophiucus Stone. This was fun. I hadn't expected something like this in the game, ran into it as I was finishing the game and it was very exciting to find out I still had things to do. I loved the puzzles and figuring out where to go and what to do, there are no real puzzles in the base curses after VG so this was a nice change of pace. One thing I didn't like was that it forced a game over after being solved. I think, if it hadn't been the last thing I was trying to solve, I would have simply ignored that and kept playing. Otherwise, it's a favourite, even though it's not very replayable.

Bonus/expansion curse:
Read only if "butterfly" means something to you!
The "curse" at the end of Path of Repentance. Though it's more of a hidden curse where you had to make the right choices before it's revealed? I liked it, but I think that was also because I got the "good end". Then again it seemed pretty clear during the game that bad stuff would happen unless I helped the caterpillars. I think I'll always play with the Pocketwatch.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Crazed Survivor
France
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Ren3 wrote:
Haven't died yet.

Really? How do you do? I spend my time dying :-S

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Elia - "Rainbow Hippie" Acca
Italy
Bergamo
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Accatitippi wrote:
We haven't died yet.

Update: we won! The last golden hunt went perfectly, also thanks to a good set of Advanced Skills and items (a boomerang, "watch out!", the trap, the bow, the blowpipe, and I think warpaint helps hunting as well?) and a lucky 7 at the right time.

We managed to run through the Voracious Goddess without ever
fishing. At one point we found a spot, but... let's just say that we suddenly didn't need to fish any more. Revenge never tasted better.

Anyway, while I'll rate the game system an eight (I guess), I think I'd rate our VG experience a 6,5. Unfortunately we missed one hint and had to do a lot of dragging ourselves around back and forth which was not really fun.
I guess most people need to move less to lift the curse?
Our game went as follows:
Spoiling all the Voracious Goddess!
Go a bit around, then go to the submarine, back to the island, back to the submarine. To the woods. Get 777-killed by a crazed bear. climb. Find the idol. Glacier. Idol. Get punished. Go ten spaces to the east, which is impossible in a straight line (hence we supposed we'd get new directions for eye 2). Walk a bit around in the very expensive surroundings. Walk back to the forest to hunt. Back to the expensive surroundings. Into the temple. Through it and up the ceiling by mistake (one player really wanted to try the elevator ). Back into the temple. Pull the chain ("we didn't find anything the first time around...") Ugh. Eventually find the gem in the only room we hadn't visited. Up the ceiling, and to the idol.

Anyway, I wish that the
VG dream had been a satchel item
:
I suspect we wouldn't have gotten this lost if we could re-reference it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Crazed Survivor
France
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
You'll probably be glad in subsequent playthroughs though. You've learned a lot

I didn't find the 2nd gem despite going through the tunnel twice, myself. But I found the correct number anyways
by simply multiplying the clue number by two
I guess I outsmarted the system.

Fair rating for this curse. I'd probably rate it 6,5 too, with the black chest 3/10, offering 3,5/10 and bloody hunt 7,5/10.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ren
Italy
Pavia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Razoupaf wrote:
Ren3 wrote:
Haven't died yet.

Really? How do you do? I spend my time dying :-S

I'm honestly not sure how to reply because I just play normally. A lot of preparation, a little luck. Never do actions unless I'm sure I can use items/skills/bonuses to succeed. When hunting I aim to get at least 3-4 cards and I avoid predators unless I'm sure I can kill them, 1 hare in the hand is better than a bear in the bush.

Craft items and use items. Pretty much always have the same stacks in my inventory: leaf bag with food, weapons (aggressiveness) and 2 stacks based on what I need to do next (skill & will keywords usually are the most useful). A few items are clutch and after discovering them I'll go out of my way to collect them in subsequent playthroughs, like
the gun, the various gold statuettes, the stool...

Aside from that the game feels relatively easy. My favourite solitaire coop used to be Legends of Andor and I used to lose that a lot because bad decisions or bad luck could lead to the board being overrun with no chance of recovery. Here though, I've had a few close calls but it's also possible to get a depleted deck back to full, I find the system very forgiving.

Of course now that I said that, and considering I'm almost out of cards in my current game, I'm sure I'm going to fail my next hunt and die...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Zachary Homrighaus
United States
Clarendon Hills
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I think you can run afoul of bad luck and bad planning on VG because you don't know your way around the island or what to expect. Once you've seen a lot of the terrain, it just comes down to risk mitigation and maintaining your Action Deck. I've definitely been on the wrong end of some bad hunts (or several back-to-back), but now that I know what to expect, I just treat hunting/fishing as a refuel I need to do every hour or so.

For me the worst situation was when I explored
(VG plot spoilers ahead)
the cave looking for a VG eye gem. I was poisoned at the time, so couldn't eat any mushrooms and I didn't know how deep it was... so had to go in a bit, and then backtrack... then go down the cliff to the hunt spot. Did OK there, but then didn't have the rope or grappling hook to get back up... so spent a bunch of time just churning my deck to find the rope again... then I had to hunt again before climbing back up and going back into the cave to finish exploring. I managed to live through it, but it was a solid 2+ hrs between leaving the cave and getting back to it which felt pretty grindy.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Crazed Survivor
France
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Ren3 wrote:
Dark Chest: I also found the correct idol on my 5th try. I feel there's an issue with the curse if you play it in conjunction with some of the other base curses.
You start Dark Chest very close to where you have to go, but if you're playing Voracious Goddess or Bloody Hunt your location is all the way over in tutorial island. So you have no clue where the 5th idol is, and it's not precisely easy to find just wandering around.

Aside from the luck-dependant opening of the chest, it's a very short curse (makes sense since it was a stretch goal) and not particularly replayable.

I really must thank you. "Sitting" around to think I solved it fairly easily. I wouldn't have been able to without your clue I think. Now I've won, solving both curses in about 10 minutes ^^

Also, there was no luck in opening it.
I had fished a key earlier.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ren
Italy
Pavia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Razoupaf wrote:
I really must thank you. "Sitting" around to think I solved it fairly easily. I wouldn't have been able to without your clue I think. Now I've won, solving both curses in about 10 minutes ^^

Also, there was no luck in opening it.
I had fished a key earlier.

Heh, you're welcome and congrats!

Pfft, figures there would be...
a key... I seem to have the worst luck with closed doors and locked chests, I always have to brute force the chest inside the fish temple as well.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.