Nick Knack
United States
San Rafael
CA
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I dislike big boxes for small games... and as much as I've loved playing Sidereal so far, it irks me to no end how ostentatious the box is for what is essentially a card game with a cube bag and some chits.
So, as a few of us have done in the past (a few examples of which can be found here: https://boardgamegeek.com/geeklist/215706/art-reboxing-your-...), I'm setting about seeing how efficiently I can re-box SC.

Thus far I've found that all of SC's components fit very comfortably in a standard 800 card cardbox, seen here:

There's still room to spare, and that is with each faction's cards and chits being separately bagged.

The only items missing are those pointlessly massive player aids that are arguably vital to understanding how to play.
So I've been thinking of firing up Photoshop and trying to create smaller aids that might fit in an 800 cardbox or similar without requiring a magnifying glass.

I guess the question is this: is this a project anyone else would be interested in the results of?
Are there better/more elegant boxing solutions that I should consider the form factor of when putting together these smaller sheets?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jacob Davenport
United States
Bethesda
Maryland
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
I've gone the opposite direction. I have a bunch of unused cubes from other games where the colors are the same as the ones in Sidereal Confluence, so I've added to my set. As such, my box is really heavy and I need all the space.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
-=::) Dante (::=-
United States
KEW GARDENS
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Continental Drift wrote:
I have a bunch of unused cubes from other games where the colors are the same as the ones in Sidereal Confluence, so I've added to my set.

Why? Are you finding there aren't enough in your games?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jacob Davenport
United States
Bethesda
Maryland
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Often when playing with six or more, we'll find that some cube types migrate from one size of the table to the other. "I need more white cubes down here!" There are enough, and only in really large games do I need to use the "5X" tiles. But hey, I had the cubes already, and the box is big enough, so why not pimp out my set a little.

Someone suggested pimping out my set a lot by drawing different symbols on each cube type. While it's one of my favorite games of all times, I'm not that obsessed.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
-=::) Dante (::=-
United States
KEW GARDENS
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Continental Drift wrote:
Often when playing with six or more, we'll find that some cube types migrate from one size of the table to the other. "I need more white cubes down here!" There are enough, and only in really large games do I need to use the "5X" tiles. But hey, I had the cubes already, and the box is big enough, so why not pimp out my set a little.

Someone suggested pimping out my set a lot by drawing different symbols on each cube type. While it's one of my favorite games of all times, I'm not that obsessed.

Are there particular cubes that seem to come up short more often than others?

Just out of curiosity games did you cannibalize cubes from?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jacob Davenport
United States
Bethesda
Maryland
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Oh, I cannibalized my older versions of Trade Empires. I've been lucky enough to be playing this game for over two years now.

I've never run low on octagons, but I have on everything else.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ben Friedberg
United States
claypool
IN
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
For those of us less fortunate who only have one copy yuk, you could also pick up extra pieces from https://www.printplaygames.com/prototypes/parts. He's also got some cool plastic spaceships if you want to go the extra mile and not use the tokens...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lane Taylor
United States
Tucson
Arizona
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Haven't even got this game yet (birthday is coming up soon...), but I'm already thinking about pimping it out. I think I'll pull the fighters from my Eclipse game to use for the ships. I'm going to start looking around at Michael's and BGG Store to see about getting some shiny bits to replace the cubes.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joe McSteve
msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
My wife loves SidCon, but hates the box insert. Admittedly, it does pack everything in pretty tight without much margin for error, and doesn't quite close completely. Has anyone else gotten rid of the insert? I don't want everything to slide around in there, but I am having to play Tetris after each game just to fit everything back inside.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jacob Davenport
United States
Bethesda
Maryland
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
I tossed the insert on day one. I forgot about it until you pointed it out. I throw all the resources into the box and then the species in their own separate bags, with bags for colonies, tracks, and research teams.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nick Knack
United States
San Rafael
CA
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
gmhakim wrote:
Has anyone else gotten rid of the insert? I don't want everything to slide around in there, but I am having to play Tetris after each game just to fit everything back inside.

Back when I was still using the box, I stuffed all the cubes and the research/planet decks under the insert wings, and just used the central space for factions.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Roe
Ireland
Dublin
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Ditto. Chucked the insert straight away, and I don't even remember what it looked like. Bagged all the races stuff into seaprate baggies.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.