Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Evan Chauvette
United States
Virginia Beach
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
While some other reviews focus on the gameplay of Star Wars: Destiny, I thought I would instead provide an overview as to what is contained within the Two-Player Boxed set, to assist you in making a decision as to whether or not you want to purchase it.

One nice thing to note: The two hero and villain cards both add up to 23 points (one die included for each character), and exactly 30 points with two dice. Also, there is exactly one of each card in the deck. If you enjoy the game, it was designed so that you could purchase a second Two-Player set and have two of each character dice plus two of each card. You'll be ready for regular play with just a little deck building!

The insert is alright for this set, but it will not hold any additional cards, but it will hold a whopping 2 extra dice.

Both hero and villain decks have 6 dice for various upgrades and supports.

I decided against taking pictures of the other 28 different cards in the box; instead I'll outline the cards for you so you'll know what each card does:

Villain Deck
Name – Cost – Type – Color - Affiliation
R=Ranged Damage Symbol M=Melee Damage Symbol

Armored Support – 1 – Support – Red - V
Action – Exhaust this support to reroll one of your Red dice. If that die rolls damage (R or M), deal 1 damage to a character.

As I Have Forseen – 0 – Event – Blue - N
Ambush. Look at each opponent's hand.

Clash – 1 – Event – Blue – N
Turn one of your dice to a side showing melee damage (M). Turn an opponent's die showing mele damage (M) to a blank (-).

Doubt – 0 – Event – Neutral - V
Reroll an opponent's die. Then that opponent either resolves that die or removes it.

First Strike – 2 – Event – Red - V
Deal Damage to a character equal to the value of an opponent's die showing damage (R or M).

Imperial Envoy – 2 – Event – Red - V
Reveal 2 random cards in an opponent's hand. Then deal 1 damage to a character for each event and support just revealed.

Intimidate – 0 – Event – Blue - V
Remove all shields from a chracter.

Jedi Rival – 1 – Upgrade/Title – Blue - V
After you activate attached character, you may remove 1 shield from a chracter.

I Have You Now – 1 – Event – Red - N
Turn a die to a side showing damage (R or M)

Mobilize – 3 – Event – Red - N
Gain 4 resources.

Parry – 1 – Event – Neutral - N
Remove a die showing melee damage (M).

Subjugate – 2 – Event – Neutral - V
Remove a die.

Tactical Mastery – 1 – Event – Red - V
Spot a red character to take up to 2 additional actions.

Your Skills Are Complete – 0 – Event – Blue - V
Turn an upgrade die to a side showing a (-)

Hero Deck
Name – Cost – Type – Color - Affiliation
R=Ranged Damage Symbol M=Melee Damage Symbol

Concentrate – 1 – Event – Blue – H
Turn one of your dice to to any side. You may spend one resource to turn another one of your dice to any side.

Defensive Stance – 1 – Event – Blue – H
Give a character 2 shields.

Direct Hit – 2 – Event – Red – N
Resolve one of your dice showing damage (R or M), increasing it's value by 2.

Distraction – 1 – Event – Blue – H
Choose 2 dice. Then an opponent chooses and removes one of those dice.

Do Or Do Not – 0 – Event – Blue – H
Reroll one of your dice. Then you may resolve it, increasing its value by 1. Otherwise, remove it.

Evade – 1 – Event – Neutral – N
Remove a die showing ranged damage (R).

Fierce Resolve – 2 – Event – Blue – H
Reroll one of your dice. Then deal damage to a character equal to the value showing on the that die.

Flank – 1 – Event – Neutral – N
Play only if you have more ready characters than an opponent. Remove one of that opponent's dice.

Honor Guard – 1 – Support – Red – H
Action – Discard this support from play to remove a die showing damage (R or M).

Logistics – 0 – Event – Red – N
Spot a Red character to resolve one of your dice showing a resource ([]), increasing its value by 1.

Luke's Protection – 0 – Support – Blue – H
Action – Place this support on top of your deck from play to give a Blue chraracter 1 shield.

Recon – 1 – Event – Red – N
Choose a symbol showing on a die. Then turn another die to a side showing the same symbol.

Sound the Alarm – 0 – Event – Neutral – N
Reroll any number of an opponent's dice showing damage (R or M).

Strategic Planning – 1 – Event – Red – H
Ready or Exhaust a support.

As you can see, there is some exciting stuff in the box! I'll add some thoughts once I get this to the table with my 12 year old son, who is very excited to play this set.

Edit: A couple spelling errors.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Martin
United States
Fort Leavenworth
Kansas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Are the characters the same as from the previous sets?

In other words, if I already have the earlier sets, will I have 2 dice for those characters?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kai B
Germany
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
No, the Characters are Starter Set only and new Versions of the Existing Characters.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Evan Chauvette
United States
Virginia Beach
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for asking! They definitely do not have the same abilities or cost. Both characters in the 2P box cost more, but are deadlier.

Rey's ability, which previously granted a free action when you played an upgrade on her, changed to granting a free damage upon activation if she has a shield. Her old die was simply unreliable with 2 "+" sides on it. Without Finn or some upgrades her dice have a 50/50 chance of doing nothing. Her new character card costs more (12/15 vice 9/12), gets an extra hp, and is generally more useful. It's pretty easy to use characters and cards that shield her (especially the cards/character that come in the 2P box set). She is actually pretty tough to take down, since she always has shields and your opponent keeps wanting to focus her so she can't use her ability.

Kylo Ren's ability remained somewhat similar, as they both involve looking at an opponent's card. The ability changed from a special symbol on a die that does damage based on a card's cost (which would be 0-4, average 1 or 2) to an activation ability that involves guessing a color for 2 damage. Kylo has three sides that do damage (instead of 2 plus his special), plus his activation ability to do 2 more damage. With a couple upgrades he can be a monster, which justifies his 13/17 cost. The original Kylo is 10/13 with one fewer hp.

The supporting characters are totally different. The "meh" stormtrooper was replaced by a new Captain Phasma, who is a straight damage dealer. Three of her sides deal damage; add a blaster and as an elite she can easily deal 4 or 5 damage a turn. She isn't very expensive, either, at 9/13.

Finally, Finn was replaced by Poe Dameron. He is alright, but this version is definitely a support character. In the three games I've played against him I never bothered attacking him until Rey was down. Only two damage sides, but the two focus sides (a 2 focus and a special that grants a shield to any character plus a focus) makes him very useful.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel Martinez
Mexico
flag msg tools
Really like the rundown
I want to get into the game (casual), what would you recommend?
1)buying 2 of the new two player starter
2)buying 1 new player starter and 1 each of the old starter

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pat E. Cakes
United States
Portland
Oregon
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
2 of all starters gets you a lot to get work with and includes some of the best cards in the game

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Josh Roberts
msg tools
mb
Definitely buy two. This set has some very good cards and characters.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel Martinez
Mexico
flag msg tools
thanks for the imput, I will be getting the game soon

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.