Fluxx» Forums » Variants

Subject: Made my own Doctor Who Fluxx years ago rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Dan Leonard
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mb
A few years back I made my own Doctor Who Fluxx deck to play with my students. Keepers were companions, Creepers were villains and Goals were specific stories that feature a particular set of companions/villains. I also introduced a mechanic whereby each goal is associated with a time period (Past, Present or Future) and keepers had abilities that could only be used in a particular time period.

Anyway, when I heard about the new DW Fluxx I remembered that I never did share my version online. As I am new to this, I wanted to ask something. I used a lot of images from the game Doctor Who Legacy and others just pulled from the internet. Is that something I'm allowed to post here or would I have to replace those images if I wanted to upload it?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Russ Williams
Poland
Wrocław
Dolny Śląsk
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmb
Leonard_Daniels wrote:
As I am new to this, I wanted to ask something. I used a lot of images from the game Doctor Who Legacy and others just pulled from the internet. Is that something I'm allowed to post here or would I have to replace those images if I wanted to upload it?

Unless you received permission to use all those presumably copyrighted images, then of course you should replace them with images which you have the rights to use.

FWIW Google image search lets you search for images marked as public domain and various levels of CC rights. (But even then use common sense: just because someone puts an image online and claims it is public domain does not mean that it really is.)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian S.
United States
Miniapples
Minisoda
flag msg tools
01010011 01001000 01000001 01001100 01001100 00100000 01010111 01000101 00100000 01010000 01001100 01000001 01011001 00100000 01000001 00100000 01000111 01000001 01001101 01000101 00111111
mbmbmbmbmb
russ wrote:
Unless you received permission to use all those presumably copyrighted images, then of course you should replace them with images which you have the rights to use.
Are you sure? There are many, many fan-made games on this site without rights.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan Leonard
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mb
Thank you for your prompt and helpful response.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Russ Williams
Poland
Wrocław
Dolny Śląsk
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmb
Vrooman wrote:
russ wrote:
Are you sure?

I am not a lawyer; I'm just someone who's read many of these threads. But this is indeed my understanding.

You could argue that using only a tiny fragment of copyrighted art is fair use.
https://www.copyright.gov/fair-use/more-info.html

(And indeed that's how many of us justify our avatars.)

So in that case, you would have to decide whether you are using "too much" of the copyrighted art or not. As is often noted in these threads, if you really want legal advice, then consult a lawyer.

Quote:
There are many, many fan-made games on this site without rights.

I understood the OP to be asking what he may do according to site rules and laws, not what he literally can do.

I.e. yes, I agree that the site is full of copyright violations (as are many places on the internet, e.g. youtube has many uploaded films and music videos and TV show episodes etc by people who don't own the copyright to them), but that doesn't mean that they are not copyright violations.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mujtaba Walji
United Kingdom
London
Brent
flag msg tools
russ wrote:
Leonard_Daniels wrote:
As I am new to this, I wanted to ask something. I used a lot of images from the game Doctor Who Legacy and others just pulled from the internet. Is that something I'm allowed to post here or would I have to replace those images if I wanted to upload it?

FWIW Google image search lets you search for images marked as public domain and various levels of CC rights. (But even then use common sense: just because someone puts an image online and claims it is public domain does not mean that it really is.)
I mean, if he's not using it for profit, I'm pretty sure it would be fine...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Russ Williams
Poland
Wrocław
Dolny Śląsk
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmb
mujie wrote:
I mean, if he's not using it for profit, I'm pretty sure it would be fine...

Not sure whether you're serious or kidding, but in case you're serious:

Whether you're making a profit or not has nothing to do with copyright law; you can easily verify this with a few minutes of research.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.