Enrico Magnani
Italy
Cesenatico
Forlì-Cesena
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hello!

I've played 4 times the first mission and I always fail
Not counting luck with dice, can you list me some tips to keep in mind?

Thank you very much.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Skaak
United States
Seattle
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
You're certainly not alone:

* Strategy tips for a beginner
* Still trying to figure out Mission 1
* Mission 1 Strategy - Spoilers

The above threads have some good advice, and these more general resources might help, as well:

* Agent order
* Agent Strategy File: Agent Titanium
* Agent Strategy File: Agent Mercury

And feel free to ask if you're still having trouble!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Enrico Magnani
Italy
Cesenatico
Forlì-Cesena
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I've only read Agent Titanium and Mercury strategy files, seems there's a lot more to understand!

I'll write questions only after reading the other material, thank you very much!

Right now this game has just felt a luckfest, will I roll high or lose?
I know there is something beneath I can do to improve, I just need help to find what it is

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Skaak
United States
Seattle
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Irish86 wrote:

An important thing to keep in mind (that all beginners, including myself, miss) is that you may be likely to roll 2-5 HITs, but the average actual damage for any basic weapon attack is going to be more like 0-1. (You have an 80% chance to roll a hit per dice, but the enemies have a 40% chance to negate per HIT. So on average, you'll roll 2.4 HITs with 3 red dice, but almost half of them will be blocked.)

This means that you absolutely need to focus fire in order to kill anything. If you attack different aliens with different agents, that just converts the "activate all wounded aliens" encounter card into another "activate all aliens" card, and that's an easy way to get yourself killed. Similar, area damage weapons like the Biotech's can be very dangerous, particularly if you use them on aliens with full health.

You also need to position yourself defensively to exploit the AI whenever possible. Using your maximum movement to get in range and shoot something immediately is often a great way to die; if you can make the aliens come to you on your own terms, you should have greater success.

Edit: fixed the Mysterious Case of the Event Card That Transformed Into Itself.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joke Meister
Hong Kong
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Skaak wrote:
Irish86 wrote:

This means that you absolutely need to focus fire in order to kill anything. If you attack different aliens with different agents, that just converts the "activate all wounded aliens" encounter card into another "activate all aliens" card, and that's an easy way to get yourself killed. Similar, area damage weapons like the Biotech's can be very dangerous, particularly if you use them on aliens with full health.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sebastian Beck
Germany
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
As Skaak wrote: Positioning and targeting are two very important aspects of the game.

Exploit the AI scripts where you can: Take the Xeno-Beta for example:

Moving adjacent to him is key to make him move instead of attacking.

There is so much to this game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Enrico Magnani
Italy
Cesenatico
Forlì-Cesena
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'll have to wait before I can play again, but when I do I'll try to follow the various informations you gave me

I'll try with 3 characters: minigun, healer and sniper.
I just hope that if I manage to play correctly, dice won't betray me too much

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Skaak
United States
Seattle
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Jokemeister wrote:
... "activate all wounded aliens" ...

ninja
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.