Recommend
5 
 Thumb up
 Hide
15 Posts

Through the Ages» Forums » Modding

Subject: Community translations rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Daniel Musil
msg tools
Hi guys.

I'm one of the developers, but now I'm asking unofficialy, just by myself.

I believe lots of players would welcome to play TTA in their native language. It's little complicated for CGE itself, because we want to make some guarrantees. It takes time, which we don't have. We learned a lot on Galaxy Trucker.

But! I think it would be plausible to give you some kind of modding tool to put your translations into the app. Some kind of web app (even the simple one) and in-app support to get the localization(s) into the game.

Now my questions.
1) Do you think the community itself is organized enough to make correct translation(s) and keep it unoffensive etc?
2) Is it fair by your opinion to charge for the app, where those translations are available (probably to download, clearly tagged as a mod, with all credits to the authors)?
3) Would you welcome the unofficial translation(s) for the languages, which wouldn't exist otherwise?
4) When we'll decide to include a language officially, is it ok for you to make a deal with the author(s) and reward him/them? (we usually do this already)

I need to keep this low on budget, because CGE has its own priorities (which are changing over time). But I like the idea so much I'm keen to make it happen in my spare time.

The amount of text is really huge and will be growing with adding stuff. There is rulebook, challenges, multiplayer, lots of game texts and warnings, tutorial, and few localized images (eg game titles).

Opinions?
3 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Canterbury Espi
Spain
flag msg tools
damucz wrote:
Hi guys.

I'm one of the developers, but now I'm asking unofficialy, just by myself.

I believe lots of players would welcome to play TTA in their native language. It's little complicated for CGE itself, because we want to make some guarrantees. It takes time, which we don't have. We learned a lot on Galaxy Trucker.

But! I think it would be plausible to give you some kind of modding tool to put your translations into the app. Some kind of web app (even the simple one) and in-app support to get the localization(s) into the game.


Great.

Quote:

2) Is it fair by your opinion to charge for the app, where those translations are available (probably to download, clearly tagged as a mod, with all credits to the authors)?


I don't totally understand this. Do you mean to charge an extra money to get the translation? I'll pay perfectly for that, but I don't think this is a good idea at all.

Quote:

3) Would you welcome the unofficial translation(s) for the languages, which wouldn't exist otherwise?


An unofficial translation should be enough IMHO.

Quote:

4) When we'll decide to include a language officially, is it ok for you to make a deal with the author(s) and reward him/them? (we usually do this already)


Yes

Quote:

I need to keep this low on budget, because CGE has its own priorities (which are changing over time). But I like the idea so much I'm keen to make it happen in my spare time.

The amount of text is really huge and will be growing with adding stuff. There is rulebook, challenges, multiplayer, lots of game texts and warnings, tutorial, and few localized images (eg game titles).

Opinions?


I offer as translator for Spanish
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel Musil
msg tools
C4nt3r wrote:
I don't totally understand this. Do you mean to charge an extra money to get the translation? I'll pay perfectly for that, but I don't think this is a good idea at all.


Not charging any extra money. The question was if it is fair to let community work for the already paid app. Someone could say we should hire and pay professional to translate the app when we are charging money. But I would say there are many games and apps translated by volunteers just to have it in their language, because it couldn't come otherwise, officially.

Can't promise, but I think CGE will gladly pay later, as soon as we see there are players for the localization and the translation is good. Also support of the local board game publisher could help a lot.

C4nt3r wrote:
I offer as translator for Spanish


Thank you.

I will start thinking how could this work.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Phil
Germany
Bremen
Bremen
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
That is what crowd sourced translation services like OneSkyApp are for (it is the one I use for my apps). You just upload the strings.xml file (for Android users) and then everyone can translate it in whatever language they want. Users can vote on translations, comment them and you can add screenshots to clearify what the text really means. So far I had fans who translated games so that they could play with their family (which doesn't speak english) and those who want to build up some references for their future career as translator. It is a great idea. Even to fix spelling errors in the native english translation (like in the Barbarian(IIRC) achievement ("war" instead of "was")´).
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel Musil
msg tools
Harlekin wrote:
like in the Barbarian(IIRC) achievement ("war" instead of "was")


Touche.

Thanks. Will check the OneSkyApp out.

How does it handle localized images? Do I need to write them as text, let translate and then make the images myself? TTA has about 15 language dependent images.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nicola Bocchetta
Italy
Milano
MI
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Most of the users here on Bgg understand English enough to make the trasnalation. The problem is if they want to do it and if the result will be professional enough.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel Musil
msg tools
Faso74it wrote:
Most of the users here on Bgg understand English enough to make the trasnalation. The problem is if they want to do it and if the result will be professional enough.


It's why I would prefer some crowd translation. Wiki, shared table, or web service. More than rely to one person. (No offense to anybody who has offered the translation already) Also the texts could be too big for one man. There are issues with community too. For example terminology and consistency. Well, I'm looking forward to try it.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Phil
Germany
Bremen
Bremen
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Images have to be added as simple text, but I never tried it.

You can also add a phrase book so that the same terminology gets used.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ronald Tin
Hong Kong
Hong Kong
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
I am interested.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jupklass Jupklass2
Spain
Pamplona
Navarra
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
damucz wrote:
Hi guys.
1) Do you think the community itself is organized enough to make correct translation(s) and keep it unoffensive etc?


Yes

Quote:

2) Is it fair by your opinion to charge for the app, where those translations are available (probably to download, clearly tagged as a mod, with all credits to the authors)?


Yes to quoute not to extra charge if languaje is already available on the boardgame version (for example spanish.. he have the game translated by Devir, it will be only cut & paste text) Yes if it´s not in some languaje published

Quote:

3) Would you welcome the unofficial translation(s) for the languages, which wouldn't exist otherwise?


Yes for spanish

Quote:

4) When we'll decide to include a language officially, is it ok for you to make a deal with the author(s) and reward him/them? (we usually do this already)


Paypal donation button?
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel Musil
msg tools
We had a meeting today. I've a green light for the community translations. So I will start to arrange it technically.

There is one small non-technical issue - we (you) can't use official card translations from the board game. The translations are copyrighted. But we will ask our local partners to allow us to use them.

TODO:
1) Enhance the app by dynamic fonts able to print any unicode character.
2) Write exporter from our localization format to OneSkyApp.
3) Publish documentation of our localization strings to the translators.
4) Create simple web page, where you can upload the translated strings exported from OneSkyApp.
5) In app support to download the translation(s) from network on demand.


I would like to let the community to manage the OneSkyApp by yourselves. I'd just upload the new language strings from time to time. What do you think?
3 
 Thumb up
5.00
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Phil
Germany
Bremen
Bremen
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Sounds great!
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alain Baum
Luxembourg
Grevenmacher
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Ooh, a Luxembourgish TTA! laugh

I'd totally help with that, actually.

thumbsup
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jupklass Jupklass2
Spain
Pamplona
Navarra
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
GReat
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michal Stach
Czech Republic
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
David Neumann has just posted details regarding TTA Community translations in his App news:

https://boardgamegeek.com/blogpost/73591/app-news-tabletopia...

 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.