Popular Tags: [View All]
Jay Bugden
Canada
Fall River
Nova Scotia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Ok, I need opinions. If I knew how to do a poll I would, but I don't. So...

My problem is that I'm primarily a solo gamer, but I'm beginning to interest my wife in playing. I'm also mainly a wargamer, but in order to attract more friends I want to expand my experience. This game is interesting because of its theme (I love Game of Thrones), its negotiating (for lack of a better word), and...other stuff

So, I read that this game is only fun with at least 6 people, and that if you play it you might lose friends (players getting upset because you "back stab them). Ok, the latter isn't as big a deal, UNLESS people find this really an issue. This is where the poll would help: is it worth getting if your gaming circle might be fewer than 6 (maybe only 3 or 4), and you don't want to make "enemies"surprise

Any opinions are welcome in helping me decide whether to pick this up. (My birthday is coming up )

Thanks.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Frode Hanøy
Norway
flag msg tools
As you have already read, this game really shines with 6 people. If this is impossible, I recommend getting the Feast for Crows expansion as well, as it makes 4p more balanced and interesting. It is definitely fun to play.

I can't say I recommend playing this game with only 3 players, though.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pasi Ojala
Finland
Tampere
flag msg tools
Get the Imperial Assault Campaign module for Vassal from http://www.vassalengine.org/wiki/Module:Star_Wars:_Imperial_Assault
badge
The next Total Solar Eclipse holiday in 2024 in USA? See you there!
mbmbmbmbmb
It is easier to find games for the group than build a group for a game.

Know your players first, then buy the games.

The base AGoT is way too long for an average player not invested or interested in the theme or type of game already. A Feast for Crows helps, but I would suggest starting with shorter and more varied games to find out what kind of games your players like and dislike.

So, what are the other players interested in?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jay Bugden
Canada
Fall River
Nova Scotia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for the replies!

I've always purchased games that I want to play, and then have tried to find friends who want to play them. Maybe that's why I'm primarily a solo player?

My group of friends aren't really "gamers", but I want to try to get them interested - I guess this isn't the game to start with then - I thought the theme might be the draw, but other considerations probably outweigh that.

Maybe I'll keep this one on the radar but not make it a birthday present to myself.

Once again, thanks for the input!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
steven smolders
Belgium
Heist-op-den-Berg
Antwerpen
flag msg tools
badge
Love to play boardgames with my family and spending time toghter
mbmbmbmbmb
i own it and we only play with 3 ppl and i still love it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jay Bugden
Canada
Fall River
Nova Scotia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Steven,

What do you think any negatives are with it only playing with 3, or do you think there are any? Have you played it with more than 3?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
steven smolders
Belgium
Heist-op-den-Berg
Antwerpen
flag msg tools
badge
Love to play boardgames with my family and spending time toghter
mbmbmbmbmb
Wel unfortunatly i haven't got a chance to play it with more then 3.

Well with 3 you Always play the same houses no matter what.
Maybe alliances are not formed and the backstabbing might not be as prominent ( for keeping friends it might be a plus aswel hehe). But you do Always start right next to an other house so tension is still there.

3 players the game is faster, bidding is still interesting. Defending vs the wildlings you still need to work togheter.

I don't really see any downside to playing with 3 ppl but thats maybe because we play almost all games with 3 persons.

Game is still engaging because you are treathened by 2 sides constantly.

It might be better with more players (i dunno) but it's still fun with 3.

Edit : I will never turn down a game of this

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jay Bugden
Canada
Fall River
Nova Scotia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks! It's great to get differing opinions. Something to think about!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alexander Steinbach
Netherlands
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I never really understood the "you will lose friends over this game" rumor. If you play with people that cannot stand the idea that they might be "betrayed" in a game (while they know up front that it is going to happen), you should find other players.
Really the amount of betrayal happening is comparable to that of an average game of risk in my opinion. In fact, it is so common and expected that it hardly feels like a betrayal when it happens.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Washington
flag msg tools
I'm personally not a fan of the base game only with only 3 or 4. I feel it takes too long for the game to "heat up" and once the game is fully underway it isn't balanced very well with fewer than 5 players (I think you'll know exactly what I mean after playing a 6 player game).

A Feast For Crows expansion, on the other hand, is lovely for 4 players: well balanced, jumps directly into the action on turn one, gives an alternative to castle/stronghold hunting (you instead complete semi-randomized objectives ). It's brilliant fun for four players and I literally NEVER play the base game with fewer than 5 now.

Still prefer the full 6 player experience when we can get the players, of course. Hope that helps!

Edit: I think the "lose a friend" thing is nonsense. People need to go into this game understanding that only one House will win the game of thrones. Therefore, there WILL be alliances that will come and go due to ANY NUMBER of competing pressures not limited to: political, territorial, military, or just a nearly insatiable need to consolidate power. So if your best friend invades your hard fought King's Landing immediately after swearing he wouldn't because he needs the political power it represents and you're mad about it, well you probably should've thought about invading Candyland rather than Westeros
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jay Bugden
Canada
Fall River
Nova Scotia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
So, with birthday cash from my sister, I bought the game and "Feast for Crows" expansion. Looking forward to giving it a go!

Thanks for all the feedback!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Washington
flag msg tools
jackcoostow wrote:
So, with birthday cash from my sister, I bought the game and "Feast for Crows" expansion. Looking forward to giving it a go!

Thanks for all the feedback!

Would love to know how it goes!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
tibbles von tibbleton
United States
Oregon
flag msg tools
Personally, I like it more at 3p than 4p or 5p with the base rules. It’s undeniably slower, but there’s no OP Baratheon balance issue. I’d rate it 6p > Feast 4p > 3p > other counts.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
patrice witzig
Switzerland
flag msg tools
i can definetly say, (at least for our gaming Group) it's fun with 3-4 Players. but you NEED to use the different variants posted in this Forum (4p variant, 3p variant with all houses etc.).

we only played it like 3 times with 5 People (never with 6). it was fun, but if you have only 1 unexperienced Player, he will probably lose and not have a great time..

that said, i think it's important, that all Players are equally experienced in the game. then it can be fun from 3-6 Players i would say.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.