Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Ralf Brechtel
Germany
flag msg tools
mb
Hi you all,

do you use house rules ? What are these and what
is the reason you come up with ? I am really curiuos.

Our house rule ( mostly two player ) is to play the
strike before the action phase. Man, this rise up the
tension of the game.

So, what are you, if, doing ?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
M.C.Crispy
United Kingdom
Basingstoke
Hampshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
BRAUNFELS wrote:
Our house rule ( mostly two player ) is to play the
strike before the action phase. Man, this rise up the
tension of the game.
What? Why? You fail to kill the Aliens that you turn up in the complex and leave them to move into the Combat Zone and your partner has to deal with the consequences? I'm much more invested in protecting my Avatar than somebody else's - even in a co-op.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ralf Brechtel
Germany
flag msg tools
mb
That can happen. But what turn up the heat is, that
players desperately try to avoid that aliens can come
down to the combat zone. When you have, let say 3 attack
and a alien strenght 3 come down.....it don't matter cause
you kill it before it strikes. No reason to hinder it come down.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
M.C.Crispy
United Kingdom
Basingstoke
Hampshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
How do you prevent them coming into the Combat Zone if you don't have any actions before they Strike? This variant completely removes my agency - I take a bunch of damage and then I have to tidy up to prevent the next player taking damage. That just seems... not fun.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ralf Brechtel
Germany
flag msg tools
mb
mccrispy wrote:
How do you prevent them coming into the Combat Zone if you don't have any actions before they Strike? This variant completely removes my agency - I take a bunch of damage and then I have to tidy up to prevent the next player taking damage. That just seems... not fun.

how do you prevent ? Of course...scan..scan...scan...

If you don't like it ....no reason for offense...hey..it's a game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeremy Hager
United States
Leesburg
Georgia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I don't think he's offended
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Colin
United Kingdom
HITCHIN
HERTS
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I have added the extra characters from the expansion and use a scrolling barracks (each turn you add a barracks card, if the barracks is full discard the card on the end). With 6 characters in the barracks you need to increase the draw to see even half of them and adds some extra decisions. I also add a soldier to each hive and 1,2,and 3 clones in there respective decks. That way I get to experience the soldier cards, the clones reduce the difficulty.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jorge P
Spain
flag msg tools
My house rule is the possibilty to "kill" a card of your discard pile paying 4 stars. Only when I play solo. Also I put 6 cards in the barracks and discard one if none was taken ( I use the expansion)
For me, the worst part of this game is how easy the starter cards ruin everything. Anyone else has this problem?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Radomir B.
Slovakia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Coordination in solo games :
Once per turn put one Coordinate card aside and draw another one instead of it. During the cleanup phase draw one card less from the deck and bring the coordinated card back into your hand.

I started using this before the expansion allowed to "discard a Coordinate card to draw another one" because... well because it helps me often. Even with this house rule some scenarios are quite difficult for me, particularly Resurrection and Alien Evolved.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stuart Holttum
United Kingdom
Southend on Sea
Essex
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
BRAUNFELS wrote:
Hi you all,
Our house rule ( mostly two player ) is to play the strike before the action phase. Man, this rise up the tension of the game.

In effect, all this is doing is reducing the size of the complex by one space: the final "scan 2" space becomes an extension of the combat zone because a creature in it will attack one action phase earlier. Instead of cards going 4-3-3-2-2-combat zone-attack, they are going 4-3-3-2-2-attack.

I can indeed see how this would ramp up the tension, but only because it makes the game more difficult - a card leaving the hive will start to inflict strikes after 5 action phases instead of 6. It feels like it would dramatically affect game balance, not least because of the number of cards that mean that alien in the last Scan 2 space could be immune to attack before it strikes.

To be honest, I find the game hard enough with a 5 space complex - an (effective) 4-space complex just seems too brutal to me. What is your win ratio with this adjustment?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.