Subject: What should I buy next? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
L B
United States
Kansas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I mostly play with my husband (when we have time), so I am interested in picking up something that appeals to both of us. We have a pretty busy life with lots of teens coming and going, but some schedule changes have us hoping to get more gaming in. Beyond that, I periodically like buying games to build the collection for when the kids leave and we have more time. Sales or restocks on some wishlist things have me tempted too.

Yesterday, he listed his top games as:

-Carcassonne
-Catan
-Race for the Galaxy
-Lost Cities
-Shadow Hunters (he plays this at work with a lunch gaming group)
-Magic the Gathering (in deference to when he used to play it)

Games he's really interested in delving into a lot more when we get more time:

-Dead of Winter
-Dungeon Petz
-Lord of the Rings The Card Game
-Android Netrunner
-Gloomhaven
-Scythe

He requests Qwirkle, Paperback, Battle Line, Race for the Galaxy, and Lost Cities the most due to time constraints.

My favorite games at the moment:

-Dungeon Petz
-Shadowrun Crossfire
-Race for the Galaxy
-Pandemic Legacy
-BattleCON

Help me decide between one or two of these choices:

1) Race for the Galaxy: The Gathering Storm and Shadowrun Crossfire High Caliber Ops

2) Sherlock Holmes Consulting Detective Thames Murders

3) Concordia

4) Viticulture EE

5) Glass Road

6) Inis

7) Keyflower

8) Robinson Crusoe

9) Jaipur and something else like an expansion for another game or Scythe metal coins.

10) Just stop. You have enough. Play some of the games you haven't gotten to.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew S.
Canada
Toronto
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Elankat wrote:

Help me decide between one or two of these choices:

1) Race for the Galaxy: The Gathering Storm and Shadowrun Crossfire High Caliber Ops

2) Sherlock Holmes Consulting Detective Thames Murders

3) Concordia

4) Viticulture EE

5) Glass Road

6) Inis

7) Keyflower

8) Robinson Crusoe

9) Jaipur and something else like an expansion for another game or Scythe metal coins.

10) Just stop. You have enough. Play some of the games you haven't gotten to.

Since you mention mostly playing with your husband, despite the awesomeness of Inis in general, I've had a terrible time playing it with just two people.
Playing Robinson Crusoe feels like pulling teeth. There are some people that love it, but I'm not one of them.
You can never have enough games.

My vote is either the Race for the Galaxy expansion or Sherlock Holmes. Race because it's something you already love and Sherlock because you can play it in bursts and don't need to schedule an extended block of time to play.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Charles Dionne
United States
New Orleans
Louisiana
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Lots of great options on that list!

Option 1 seems like a sure bet since you both list Race for the Galaxy as one of your favorite games. I have not played The Gathering Storm but you probably can't go wrong with an expansion to a game you already enjoy.

Concordia is also a fantastic choice. It plays great at all player counts due to the different maps available. Definitely worthy of its BGG rank.

My personal favorite is Viticulture EE as it's wonderful blend of theme and worker placement. Plays great and fairly quickly with 2 but can accommodate up to 6 players without any changes to the rules. And it also has a great expansion available if you ever decide to step the game up a little.

Those 3 would be my top recommendations for you!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
April W
United States
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I haven't played all the games you listed, but I think you guys would like Viticulture EE. It has the rare benefit of giving you a satisfying gaming experience in a relatively short time.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joe Salamone
United States
Billerica
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
badge
Aggravating people worldwide since 1964
mbmbmbmbmb
Lots of goodness on your list. I own numbers 3 through 9 and you really can't go wrong with any of them. But I think Viticulture Essential Edition (with Tuscany Essential Edition if you want a few extras) provides the best combination of:

* Easy to learn
* Interesting mechanisms without being complex
* Reasonably short playing time
* Thematic

Jaipur is the quickest/easiest to play and is very enjoyable. Not much variation from one game to the next . . . but still one of our favorite fillers because it plays so quickly and our scores are usually pretty tight.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
L B
United States
Kansas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for the replies. It helps me find clarity and eliminate things.

It's hard for me to get past my desire for lots of variety and deeper games with strong theme vs. what tends to get played. And it's not that my husband is against heavy or longer games. Chess and other abstract strategic games have long been hits with him. We just find ourselves facing frequent time crunches that he tends to go with what is under an hour and familiar, even though he likes most of our games.

So, getting input like this helps me put the brakes on some things that I'm drawn to but are probably not the best idea right now.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Mcpherson
Canada
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Concordia
Keyflower
Jaipur - great game to add to your list of short games. Biblios is another great option for that timeframe.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Greg Darcy
Australia
Blue Mountains
New South Wales
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
My number 1 pick on your list would be Viticulture (+Tuscany)

#2 would be Sherlock Holmes. It can take quite a long time to play through each scenario, but it is super easy to pack away and pull out another day.

Also I see you rate Ticket To Ride a 9.
Perhaps Ticket to Ride Map Collection: Volume 5 – United Kingdom & Pennsylvania which gives two quite different meaty expansions to the base game. Or Ticket to Ride: Nordic Countries which is the two player variant that Switzerland SHOULD have been.

EDIT:
I saw this comment on Zombicide:
Quote:
Why exactly do female zombies need to be in high heels

Because they can't run away fast enough and so get caught and turned into Zombies. The smart women either kick off their heels or are wearing flats and don't get caught.devil
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marcius Fabiani
Brazil
Brasilia
Distrito Federal
flag msg tools
badge
A pig that doesn't fly is just a pig.
mbmbmbmbmb
Viticulture EE
Concordia
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Dillenbeck
United States
Deerfield
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Mainly due to the time constraint, I'll suggest Jaipur and "something else" and the something else I would suggest looking into:

The Institute of Magical Arts

Short playing VP game. Interesting mechanism of using dice rolls plus hidden card assignment (either put down cubes or gain more cubes). Dr. Finn games have a lot of light fillers, and this is a fun head-to-head game that would fit in the time budget.

Pillars of the Earth: Builders Duel

I enjoy Pillars of the Earth, but it isn't very good at 2. This game does a wonderful job at capturing the spirit of that game, and the novel mechanism of forced conflict that is resolved with a influence disk push-your-luck coin flipping mechanic is not something I see often.

Seasons

A longer game that might not fit in the regular time budget, but a fun mix of mechanisms. First you go through a process of drafting 9 cards, then you divide them into 3 decks (start with 1, get the other 2 later), then game play is a series of turns of dice drafting with the undrafted die determining how fast the game moves. Its sort of like Magic, but you don't attack each other but do the passive aggressive euro VP thing (with some attacks). Oh, and you have to gain the ability to summon cards rather than just being able to play whatever you can afford.

Brass Digital Edition

Its a long (2 hour) game, but the digital edition is affordable and thus can be played over time. Still, this is an excellent economic/VP race game that is dripping withe a theme of short-term versus long-term gains. I particularly like the non-zero sum economics in it - other players can use the stuff you put out on the board, but they can (and will) trigger an effect that will also benefit you.

Through the Ages Digital Edition

Just came out and I don't own it yet, but I hear great things. Again, a looooong game (can go over 2 hours).

Castle Panic Expansions

If you don't have any yet, it can add a lot for adults to play (but push it out of the realm of kids). The Wizard's Tower adds a wizard's tower and powerful spells that can be gained when trading in a card at the start of your turn (instead of a regular card), plus adds mini-bosses (6, of which 3 are included in the game). The Dark Titan adds a final boss to fight with 5 difficulty levels (6 with a promo card) and some allies/helpers that come out on the battlefield. Engines of War removes the resource cards from the general deck and puts them in a special deck, adds a central keep where you can build powerful siege weapons to defend yourself with, and traps/barriers to construct to slow enemies.

All 3 expansions added to Castle Panic makes this one of the best in the series, but for value Star Trek Panic is a winner with its wonderful cardboard Enterprise model placed in the center that rotates, a victory condition of completing 5 missions, and a "bottomless" bag of enemies that attack every turn. Frustrating at high player counts, maybe a little bit easier at low player counts, and definitely an adult's game rather than a kids game with the new complexity. I'd recommend this one to people who don't own the base game.

Good luck choosing - my wife just dropped a lot of cash for her birthday purchases, mainly rounding out expansions for games we own (she finally got Dungeon Petz: Dark Alleyways plus the Legends of Andor expansions, the new Five Tribes expansion, let me get Eldritch Horror: Dreamlands and the new Mansions of Madness 2e expansion, and bought herself Medieval Academy and Biblios... oh, those are two great games to consider also). I also have a bunch of wonderful Sierra Madre Games coming - John Company, Bios Genesis 2e, and Bios Megafuana 2e... maybe check those out and see if they would be something that would interest you (or Pax Renaissance); oh, and Leaving Earth Stations is going to ship soon (I hope) - that might be a winner if you want a fun logistic game, but you have to buy it directly from Luminaris (just like most of Phil Eklund's games being from his Sierra Madre Games website).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marius Simon
Germany
flag msg tools
Inis: I find this to be an excellent two player game, but a lot of people (on BGG and in my gaming group) disagree with that. I may be a bit biased here because i just love the theme, the artwork and the production quality so much that i just want to play it over and over again. It plays pretty quick with two players. From my roughly 15 two player games, none took longer than an hour.

Concordia: Great, great game. Probably the most elegant euro i have ever played. So much depth while only having four pages of rules - And that's with pictures and examples. Two players is not where concordia shines though. It gets much better at higher player counts. If you plan on playing this with two mostly, you should get one of the additional maps. Concordia: Gallia / Corsica and Concordia: Britannia / Germania both offer small maps suited well for 2-3 players.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tom Lopresti
United States
Kentucky
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Kingdom Builder - short, abstract, puzzle, more going on than the classic abstract but still simple rule set, plays great with 2
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
M C
Canada
Lethbridge
Alberta
flag msg tools
badge
Game group needed...
mbmbmbmbmb
Glass Road is excellent and plays quickly.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
L B
United States
Kansas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks everyone!

I ended up picking up Viticulture, as well as RftG Gathering Storm, Castle Panic Wizard's Tower, and Shadowrun Crossfire High Caliber Ops since they were all further discounted today on Miniature Market.

I was sorely tempted to jump on Concordia and Keyflower, which also dropped to really great prices, but I managed to contain myself. Hopefully, they will be on sale when I have more time to play them.

You all were a big help!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dirk Meijlof
Netherlands
Amersfoort
Utrecht
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
That are a lot of good games you're looking at.
When you mostly play 2-p games I would recommend out your lost:
Viticulture Essential Edition - Fun, thematicly very strong and the number of workers that can be placed at a spot, depends on the number of players. Si it plays well with 2 but also with 3, 4 and 5 players.
Concordia + Concordia: Gallia / Corsica - Quick turns, lots of depth. One of my favorites. However. the base game plays best with 4 in my opinion. So please buy the Corsica map right away when you play a lot of 2-p games. This map is especially designed for a 2-p game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.