Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Matthew De Lorge
United States
Spencer
MA
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
So, I asked this in reverse order on the BH2045 page and got a favored choice of BH2045.

I have watched game play vids on both and feel, where as BH2045 may have better game mechanics, BOT9th feels more like baseball as the theme oozes out of it.

I am looking for a highly thematic experience with a baseball game and was merely asking to see which accomplished this more between the two games. BH2045 seems like the theme is pasted on and the game play looks nothing like baseball, but more like War as Tom Vasel described in his video.

Thoughts?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
s dog
msg tools
I own both BH2045 and BoT9. They are both great games, and both highly thematic. I feel like I'm playing baseball. They each give a different aspect of Baseball, and hence I highly recommend both. BTW, the solo mode for both games are a lot of fun.

Both of these games have apps. My recommendation would be to try both apps.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
pax domina
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Deadball and/or Deadball: 1909 instead. whistle
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Harley Winfrey
United States
Cottage in the Woods
Missouri
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I have played both, but I only own Bottom of the 9th. Both are light and fun, but Bottom of the 9th is a lot shorter. I didn't feel like there was any real baseball strategy to BH2045. If you play it as a campaign, it's an okay deckbuilder. Playing a single game of BH2045 is a step above RPS.

I wouldn't say that there's much strategic depth to Bottom of the 9th, but the tone and theme of the game perfectly captures old time baseball. And you can play it in 15 minutes.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stuart Hemmings
United States
Tumwater
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Weighing in. I own both games (and both apps)...

While BH2045 is still baseball and feels like baseball it plays like a deck builder while Bot9 feels like a baseball game through and through.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard A. Edwards
United States
Lacey
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I have and play both, and they are great baseball games.

But, they are different. One is a pitchers duel with batters for one half an inning. The other is about a team and playing entire games.

So it kind if depends on the sort of experience you want.

I also have the apps and find I prefer Bottom of the 9th vs human opponent more and 2045 vs AI.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ed Ray
msg tools
mbmbmbmb
I like them both and ordered expansions for both (indicating that I really think they are both keepers). As I look at this answer, maybe I should have made it a review or comparison, so sorry if it's too long.

I'm going to diverge a bit from what others have said. There are different kinds of themes, so I wouldn't say that one ort he other is more thematic. I think that if you like the FEEL and LOOK of baseball nostalgia, like feeling oldtime baseball cards in your hands, or the beautifully crafted wood baseball tokens, Bot9 is your game. Also if the pitch by pitch guessing ("He's looking for a fastball --- no, it's way out of the zone and he goes down swinging!" )represents the essence of baseball to you, then it hits the spot. And for that alone it's worth it and plays really well.

Also, the mechanic works on the micro level, i.e. pitch by pitch.
On the other hand, if your idea of theme is wanting to simulate a bit more about what actually happens in a game and in a season (some runners take two bases on singles, and MOST do if they were on 2nd base; you focus on your opportunity to score runs, not just move the lead runner, a grand slam really is worth more than a single, unless you're the last batter, players get sent to the minors), you can't get much of that in BOT9th.

What's funny about it is that what REALLY simulates baseball is a tedious game which involves hundreds of pitches, the kind of thing that only absolute baseball fanatics want to play. (Actually, Video games can do this pretty well --- am I allowed to say that on BGG? ) SO both games are trying to avoid the tedium of pitch by pitch and actual full game (yes I know that Bot9 has a way to be played for longer --- but it seems so tedious that, let's face it, they called the game for half an inning for a reason). One game does that by having micro mechanics but making the game just a one run affair with a narrow focus (get the lead runner home). The other (BH2045) does that by bending your mind and forcing it to ignore things like 3 outs in an inning, individual pitch counts, etc. So the criticisms of both of these games are valid, but are inevitable ---- you can't have perfect mechanics for a simulation of a three hour game, unless you want to spend 3 hours at the table. Those who say that BH2045 doesn't feel like baseball because it doesn't have pitch counts or three outs are missing the point -- it doesn't have those features because the challenge of making a baseball game is the impossibility of squeezing a three hour sports game into a much shorter board game.

Summary
There are multiple types of thematic elements to baseball, the esthetic (and I don't just mean the look but also the feel) and the strategic.
To me, BOT9 is better at the esthetic aspects of the theme, and BH2045 is better at the strategic aspect of baseball. When I feel like building a forest (macro), it's 2045. When I'm in the mood to look at a tree (micro), BOT9th.

They are BOTH great games, and if you prefer one over the other strongly it may be because your appreciation of baseball is more about trees, forests, or whatever.

Please note that NONE of this is to criticize either game ---- in both cases, they were made by people who love the game and they did a great job.

Hopefully this makes sense.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Martin
United States
GENEVA
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
My two cents' worth: Bottom of the 9th feels like its namesake. It's tense. Every pitch counts. It's baseball at its best.

Bot9 also allows you to create a memorable narrative experience each time you play. For example, I'll never forget my friend Mike's first game. I fanned his first two batters with relative ease. But then he managed to draw a walk and and eke out a pair of singles. With two outs and the bases loaded, the home team's hopes rested on Anvil McIver. This fella—who Mike had nicknamed "Big Irish"—proceeded to tee off for a walk-off grand slam. McIver has been known by us as "Big Irish" ever since. And I, at least, always remember his clutch crush whenever I see him come up to bat.

Bot9 feels like baseball. I can't imagine any baseball grognard being disappointed with it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Roger Bartels
United States
Spring
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Bottom of the 9th feels more like real baseball. Baseball Highlights 2045 is a better game though.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.