Popular Tags: [View All]
David Dockter
United States
Minnesota
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb

First Minnesota Historical Wargame Society SEP 15, 2017

Club is digging it and on the hunt for some Games Crafter copies (drop me a line if you have one for sale): G.A.A.R. -- 9.15.17 -- Who Is Number One? Edition
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christina Kahrl
United States
Unionville
Connecticut
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for putting it on my radar! I recently picked up its cousin, Rise of Totalitarianism, but haven't dug into the rules yet.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Dockter
United States
Minnesota
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Welcome. Our discoverer of diamonds in the rough and main club spark plug is Gordo (pictured - the Twins hat - above).

And thanks for tipping me off to Rise. I just ordered it arrrh
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christina Kahrl
United States
Unionville
Connecticut
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Well, rock on Gordo!

(Both in game selections and choice of chapeaux. Let's hope they get Sano back in time to power a push beyond the wild card.)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Dockter
United States
Minnesota
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb

A gaggle of us 1st MNers were at the walk off 10th inning win Thursday nite. Fabulous b-ball park. Go Twins!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Luca Cammisa
Italy
Monza
MB
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Herr Dr wrote:
Welcome. Our discoverer of diamonds in the rough and main club spark plug is Gordo (pictured - the Twins hat - above).

Hello David, I'm happy you discovered Rise of Totalitarianism and I hope you will find soon a copy of Democracy under Siege.

Rise of Totalitarianism is more challenging and complex than Democracy under Siege. It has some common elements, but the gameplay is quite different.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gordon J
United States
Eagan
Minnesota
flag msg tools
Print and Play Gamer
mbmbmbmbmb
Here is the rest of my report. Alan took Democracy, Steve the Communists, and I took our pals the Nazis. I was a little concerned how this one was going to play. It's a very different WW2 type of game. It looks more like a Euro, but it feels like Phil Eklund punching you in the face.

DUS tackles the 1933-1940 time period, so you run across some really interesting historical events you don't get in other games.

One of the main parts of the game is to keep your Prestige high, so you can influence other countries in Europe to your brand of happiness. Prestige also gets you bonuses or minuses to your die rolls.

I think we all liked Democracy Under Siege quite a bit. Enough, that Alan was going to go out and buy it. We all had a good time. Though it looks a little like a Euro at times with all the cubes it more than makes up for it in the player interaction, you trying to sway your opponents countries to your side, slapping events on each other, the brinksmanship that oozes out in many facets of the game. DUS deserves a place on anyone's shelf. It's different, it's tense, and provided enough dramatic moments, good and bad, that led to a hell of a good time.

Who was Number One? Well, you could say the dice were number one, at least in our game of DUS they were. Collectively we rolled so many damn 1s it became a joke it was so bad. "Don't roll a 1." or "Anything but a 1" AHHHHHHHH, I rolled a 1! Alan took the cake in this regard, by rolling THREE 1s in a row, losing his pile of rerolls, his prestige, and his sanity. Herr Dr came over to tell Alan the mathematical chances of that happening, to say the least it didn't make Alan feel any better. But the 1-bug hit all of us in the end.

(The image below is a good representation of how Alan felt after tossing three 1s in a row)

As the Nazi player, toward the end of the game, the last three turns, I hit a low patch. I was low in prestige, and I kept drawing War cards, which I couldn't enact anyway because of the (-) to my die rolls, and the fact I had to use all available PPs to move countries in control so I could bump my Prestige up. I will have to ponder a little more next time on how to preserve my Prestige for the later parts of the game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Dockter
United States
Minnesota
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
calvinus wrote:
Herr Dr wrote:

Hello David, I'm happy you discovered Rise of Totalitarianism and I hope you will find soon a copy of Democracy under Siege.

Rise of Totalitarianism is more challenging and complex than Democracy under Siege. It has some common elements, but the gameplay is quite different.

Can't wait to try it Luca! As you can tell, my club mates were impressed. Keep up the good work. I've updated a power politics chart I keep for games we dig...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gordon J
United States
Eagan
Minnesota
flag msg tools
Print and Play Gamer
mbmbmbmbmb
calvinus wrote:
Herr Dr wrote:

RoT more complex? Oh boy....

Is it more complex than Secret Weapons of the Third Reich?

I'd love to see a play through video of RoT.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Morten K
Denmark
flag msg tools
mb
Herr Dr wrote:
calvinus wrote:
Herr Dr wrote:

Can't wait to try it Luca! As you can tell, my club mates were impressed. Keep up the good work. I've updated a power politics chart I keep for games we dig...

You might want to remove the C in Phil Eklund's name. It means Oak Wood

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Luca Cammisa
Italy
Monza
MB
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
patton55 wrote:
calvinus wrote:
Herr Dr wrote:

RoT more complex? Oh boy....

Hello Gordon, it is not more complex in rules. It is more challenging because it's a sort of insurgency game. You plan and react to propaganda and unrest activities in Italy, Germany and minor nations; try to promulgate laws to improve economy; fight to destabilize or protect the governments in charge... you really do a lot of things, being in the opposition (and acting brutally and being violent) or in power (and still acting brutally and being violent because your opponent is the same ). And the whole affects the political orientation of the various social classes; this moves the electoral votes towards or far from your ideology. You finally go for elections or overthrow the governement more or less brutally, try to win elections and settle your regime or preserve your democratic way to rule powers, etc. etc.

That is definitively the melting pot of power politics. You take a while before understanding how the game reproduces the turbulent years that led to the intalling of Fascist and Nazi Regimes. This is why I feel that Rise of Totalitarianism is a more complex game as compared to Democracy under Siege.

patton55 wrote:
Is it more complex than Secret Weapons of the Third Reich?

Two totally different games. In my opinion, Secret Weapons of the Third Reich is more challenging, but many play-testers do not agree with me.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gordon J
United States
Eagan
Minnesota
flag msg tools
Print and Play Gamer
mbmbmbmbmb
Secret Weapons was a brain burner for sure. But fun.

RoT sounds really interesting.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alan Carlson
United States
Minneapolis
Minnesota
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Well, ordering for 4dados.es was not the easiest thing in the world, but I accomplished it.

Some hints

- have Google translate at the ready if your Spanish is not fluent;
- keep the prices in Euros - their payment system doesn't like $$
- use RedSys on their webpage for paying by Visa/Mastercard
- notify your card issuer you are going to be making a purchase in Spain
(I had to re-submit the order)
- don't be afraid to contact 4dados by e-mail - they are friendly and helpful
- remember that DuS is still on pre-order with 4dados

lastly, buy Rise of Totalitarianism NOW from gamecrafter.com - they're just in Madison, WI
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gordon J
United States
Eagan
Minnesota
flag msg tools
Print and Play Gamer
mbmbmbmbmb
PScipio wrote:
Well, ordering for 4dados.es was not the easiest thing in the world, but I accomplished it.

Some hints

- have Google translate at the ready if your Spanish is not fluent;
- keep the prices in Euros - their payment system doesn't like $$
- use RedSys on their webpage for paying by Visa/Mastercard
- notify your card issuer you are going to be making a purchase in Spain
(I had to re-submit the order)
- don't be afraid to contact 4dados by e-mail - they are friendly and helpful
- remember that DuS is still on pre-order with 4dados

lastly, buy Rise of Totalitarianism NOW from gamecrafter.com - they're just in Madison, WI

That's the sign of a devoted gamer. To go through all that and still buy the game. Way to go!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.