19 Posts

Kingdom Death: Monster» Forums » Strategy

Subject: Best Fighting Art for the Sculpture? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
The Awaited King
msg tools
mbmbmb
What would you consider best fighting art for the sculpture so all the Settlement can have it?

I'm currently wondering between Othworldly Luck (cool and can be life saving) and Abyssal Sadist (lots of use all the time!). Any thoughts on this choice and any general ones?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nick Wirtz
United States
Portland
Oregon
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Otherworldly Luck is pretty huge, especially in a SOTF campaign where it's harder to have kids, and I'd agree that AS is hugely flexible in the showdown.

My group values Timeless Eye very highly, since they often trigger wounds that don't draw locations, which gets around a ton of monster defenses (it's responsible for our only sound stomping of a level 3 Butcher, for instance).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Talisman Rulz
msg tools
kurczaczekx wrote:
What would you consider best fighting art for the sculpture so all the Settlement can have it?

What are you referring to here? My sculpture innovation card doesn't have this.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alessio Massuoli
Italy
Terni
Umbria
flag msg tools
Baby don't hurt me
badge
Sleepy Sloth
mbmbmbmbmb
1.5 sculpture.

Anyway, I think I will just put there whatever comes up, or whatever I need for the next three hunts.

That said, probably my best fa of choice would be abyssal sadist, yes.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve Trewartha
Australia
flag msg tools
mbmb
Otherworldly luck and abyssal sadist are definitely the all round best two at the moment.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
voltemands voltemands
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mb
Thrill Seeker?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nick Wirtz
United States
Portland
Oregon
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Thrill Seeker has its place, but I feel Sadist is way more often going to be valuable, especially since it can get you survival from having none.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
T D
United States
flag msg tools
Sadist is also even better because you can get it guaranteed. You're getting it year 5, every single campaign with the manhunter (provided the survivor who gets it doesn't die, which they probably won't).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Italic Font
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Funnily enough this post inspired the following article:

https://www.patreon.com/posts/14433106

Looks like most people are in agreement with what the best fighting arts are!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Purple Octopus
msg tools
The text on sculpture is confusing me a bit - on the second Endeavor Action, it says to "...gain the recorded fighting art." Does that mean that the Fighting Art is removed from the inspirational statue and given to the receiving survivor (essentially turning the Sculpture "blank" again), or can you repeatedly dole out the same fighting art to multiple members of the settlement?

And if it's the latter, can you only ever pick one fighting art then and never make another statue? That's how I'd interpret it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Italic Font
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Ultros64 wrote:
The text on sculpture is confusing me a bit - on the second Endeavor Action, it says to "...gain the recorded fighting art." Does that mean that the Fighting Art is removed from the inspirational statue and given to the receiving survivor (essentially turning the Sculpture "blank" again), or can you repeatedly dole out the same fighting art to multiple members of the settlement?

And if it's the latter, can you only ever pick one fighting art then and never make another statue? That's how I'd interpret it.

Latter, one statue (the recorded fighting art is not removed from the settlement sheet when a new survivor gains it). Can't make another fighting art statue.

Though there is a question about what happens if Sculpture is destroyed and remade.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Purple Octopus
msg tools
Italics wrote:
Ultros64 wrote:

Latter, one statue (the recorded fighting art is not removed from the settlement sheet when a new survivor gains it). Can't make another fighting art statue.

Though there is a question about what happens if Sculpture is destroyed and remade.

That's incredibly useful then. I see where Adam is trying to steer away from it being about the survivors and more about the settlement - combining this with the Savior nerf is going to be dope. Making a Blue Savior with a billion luck and absurd range was fun for the first few campaigns, but having to develop some new strategies is going to be excellent. A+ to Poots for adapting the content when he absolutely could have just let it be.

To the question about Sculpture being destroyed, that's a weird one. If the Innovation gets discarded, since the fighting art doesn't technically link to the Innovation itself, but is listed on the Settlement Sheet, I'd say it would be unaffected. You'd have to remake Sculpture to get the endeavor action to distribute that fighting art again, but you'd still be stuck to the same fighting art that you'd originally put onto the sheet.

Or at least I think. There's a ton of grey area there. Might be a good one to throw at Poots.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Krzysztof RabidBlackDog
Poland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Red Fist

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nick Wirtz
United States
Portland
Oregon
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
No SFAs, otherwise, yeah, there are some pretty gross strong ones available.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
The Awaited King
msg tools
mbmbmb
Italics wrote:
Funnily enough this post inspired the following article:

https://www.patreon.com/posts/14433106

Looks like most people are in agreement with what the best fighting arts are!

I've just noticed on a photo of the new Sculpture card in this article a very interesting wording: Secret Fighting Arts are not Fighting Arts.

This is huge. For example take a look at Possesed: An ability. The survivor cannot use weapon specialization, weapon mastery, or fighting arts.

It means for example that you can learn to KIngs Step while being Possesed

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nick Wirtz
United States
Portland
Oregon
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
I assume that's a poorly worded rule, if comparing to say the index that states otherwise clearly. If that's an update, it makes SFAs pretty darn good, since frenzy doesn't affect them.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alessio Massuoli
Italy
Terni
Umbria
flag msg tools
Baby don't hurt me
badge
Sleepy Sloth
mbmbmbmbmb
Yup, it's probably that all the nuances of the correct wording would not have fit the card.

This game is all about wording, but by how Poots presented it, you can make multiple statues, but can only have one at a time.

And, in the spirit of the rule, SFAs are too powerful, so you can't take shortcuts in learning them, thus no statues for SFAs.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
The Awaited King
msg tools
mbmbmb
Heh - you are probably right guys - a poor wording Frenzy woule be too awesome!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Italic Font
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Poots confirmed on Twitter that you can't Frenzy and use SFAs. Anything that disables an FA disables SFAs.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.