Larry Schneider
United States
Connecticut
flag msg tools
While I appreciate Mindclash's pedigree of games so far (though I've played neither Trickerion nor Anachrony) and find the game components to be quite stunning, I also have the feeling that this Kickstarter is somewhat half-baked and heavily tied to their reputation rather than being a project that gives me the information I need to make a truly informed decision.

A couple of review quotes and an underwhelming rules draft that made my eyes glaze over are not nearly enough for me to take the plunge. The introductory description of the game itself was vague and sounded awfully "Netrunnerish." Case in point:

"Cerebria is a team-based area control game for 1-4 players, set in a person's mind, re-imagined as a vibrant fantasy world. Players assume the role of Spirits, followers of the Inside World's two opposing forces, Bliss and Gloom, with the goal of shaping Cerebria's Identity to their image. For that purpose, they have been granted power over the Emotions, Cerebria's denizens: they can invoke, move, empower and evolve Emotions to influence and control Cerebria's Realms and Frontiers. Cerebria's state is in constant flux until a Spirit triggers a Revelation - these are key moments in the game when the current game state is evaluated and is preserved as a permanent Bliss or Gloom fragment on the Identity."

Wow! Talk about several paragraphs of mumbo jumbo that convey virtually nothing about the game and how it plays. And with no videos to watch that might help decipher all of that vocabulary, I feel investing in this KS is especially risky and overly reliant on Mindclash's couple of past successes. And, of course, the rules offered little to go on as well. I see that a MVM review is pending, but even that I suspect will provide little to work with--I find that their paid previews tend to include too much fawning and little in the way of critical review.

So without any real example of game play, I for one am probably going to have to pass on this one especially since I fear a video is not forthcoming before the KS ends in a couple weeks.

What about that Mindclash? Were you not interested in getting prototypes in the hands of good video reviewers in advance of this Kickstarter's launch?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dr. Lieberoth
Denmark
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
+1 Looking forward to those reviews.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
♫ Eric Herman ♫
United States
West Richland
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
badge
I like elephants. I like how they swing through trees.
mbmbmbmbmb
Quote:
I've played neither Trickerion nor Anachrony

That alone has sold this for many of us who have played those games.

Apparently a Man vs. Meeple video review is imminent.

Quote:
Talk about several paragraphs of mumbo jumbo that convey virtually nothing about the game and how it plays.

Until you play it and realize yeah, that does describe it. That's not meant to be a mechanical description of gameplay, but a broader overview of what the main setting/theme and feel of the game is like.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
ParisianDreams
Canada
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Grudunza wrote:
Quote:
I've played neither Trickerion nor Anachrony

That alone has sold this for many of us who have played those games.

Apparently a Man vs. Meeple video review is imminent.

They do not really do playthroughs though, although their reviews are in depth, I'd love to see even a small amount of a playthrough.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jared Lock
Singapore
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Completely disagree. There are already 2 text reviews and a rules draft up. I won't say the rules draft is perfectly clear in its current state (e.g. The rules about special powers for emotions seem to be missing) but it's enough to get a good idea of the game. Geekdad was more of a rules rehash but the other one was pretty informative. So there is lots of information out there already.

It's ridiculous to call a game "half-baked" and insinuate that it's underdeveloped and inferior just because you don't like reading.

(Edited to add that rules for emotion special powers seem to be missing)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nicola Bocchetta
Italy
Milano
MI
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I read the rules twice, to try to decipher the game. It's basically an area control game, where you place Emotions to control realms and frontiers. The quirky part is that an Emotions usually gives "control power" (aka Intensity) to both a realm and a frontier.
This control power is also viariable, as you can add to it or remove to your opponent's emotions. So there is definitely a take that element. As when an emotion has no more intensisity, it is discarded from the board.

Furthermore, you can move your pawn to get more or less resources depending on where it stands.

Every now and then there is a scoring phase where you score a common objective and a personal/secret one.

What i don't understand from reading the rules is this: looking at the emotion cards it would seem as each had a special ability (this is hinted at in the KS page as these abilities should also be "thematic"). But there is no mention of anything about this in the rules.

As you can see I share your concerns, and I have not been excited neither by anachrony nor trickerion.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sander van der Drift
Netherlands
The Hague
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
I agree with you that this game really needs a playthrough. Although I've read all the reviews and the campaign page it is indeed still hard to understand how this game works. However, this is true for a lot of Kickstarter games. I have been disappointed by quite a lot Kickstarter games, so nowadays I always watch a playthrough before backing. Still, given the extremely high quality of their previous two titles I'm patiently waiting for the playthroughs. Also, I admire them for creating a game with a theme we've never seen before and 2 vs. 2 gameplay.

By the way, I also agree with your criticism on MvM reviews. I love their format but I've stopped relying on their conclusions since they tend to be much too positive.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
BG.EXE
United States
flag msg tools
I favor Euros, but I like pretty much all games.
badge
Don't forget to have fun!
mbmbmbmbmb
I need a full playthrough vid before I can back this too. I've read the rules but rulebooks explain how a game is played, not why it matters. Interaction is emergent and can't be found in a rulebook. I'd like to see how it actually plays out, in reality, at the table.

I love Anachrony and Trickerion but even Uwe, my favorite designer, has games I don't like.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew B C
msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
It needs a tabletopia!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Duo Maxwell
United States
flag msg tools
mbmb
I would love if Rahdo did a run through for the 2 vs. game mode.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
ParisianDreams
Canada
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
fjaoaoaoao wrote:
It needs a tabletopia!

They have submitted the files already for Tabletopia. They are just waiting on it to be added.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Zach
United States
Sugar Land
Texas
flag msg tools
What about tabletop simulator?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Turczi
United Kingdom
London
England
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
cbrook29 wrote:

Well seeing how i finished the first draft of those rules today, I'd be surprised if he could

But tabletopia and the MvM video is coming soon, and hopefully you'll all get what you're looking for. I demoed it to 3 people in London on Board this week, 2 of the 3 backed (at least that's what they told me) straight up
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gustavo Goncalves
Portugal
Lisboa
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I agree with the OP. I have Trickerion and Anachrony because I like Worker placement games. Im interested in Cerebria but I agree there is very little information on what the game *actually* is like. If I dont know what it is, I cant assess if it fits my and my wifes preferences
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Manuel Drews
Germany
Frankfurt am Main
Hessen
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Absolutely agree.

It is a game certainly nice to look at... it looks really promising.
But how does it play in the end beside the beautiful board and miniatures.

A runthrough would be great and i am hesitating to back if the "feeling" for the actual game does not come through the beautiful presentation.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Larry Schneider
United States
Connecticut
flag msg tools
TDaver wrote:
cbrook29 wrote:

Well seeing how i finished the first draft of those rules today, I'd be surprised if he could :)

But tabletopia and the MvM video is coming soon, and hopefully you'll all get what you're looking for. I demoed it to 3 people in London on Board this week, 2 of the 3 backed (at least that's what they told me) straight up :)

Thanks! Looking forward to it. I hope MvM provides some solid insight and not just fluff.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Viktor Péter
msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
The point is valid, of course. The game's mechanics are quite unique and therefore they are hard to get through with written rules and short GIFs. We had hoped that the Man vs Meeple video would be ready by launch, but due to reasons beyond their control, it unfortunately didn't happen. We hope to be able to publish it soon, but we also realize that it might not be enough. Therefore, we will also be doing a rules/component explanation + gameplay video before the end of the campaign.

schnel wrote:
I find that their paid previews tend to include too much fawning and little in the way of critical review.

I'd like to make something clear here: We do not pay for reviews. You can check Cardboard Republic's preview policy here, or the huge banner at the bottom of the GeekDad review.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adam Selzler
United States
Florida
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I have a vague idea about how the game plays, however Mindclash's pedigree has indeed earned my backing for this KS. I love Trickerion and Anachrony is one of my favorite games ever now and is rapidly climbing the BGG charts despite not really being in mass circulation yet. So yea, I'm all in. Im leaving it in their hands to not disappoint and im sure they won't
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Frank M.
United States
upstate New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I reduced my initial $100 pledge, based on the visuals and company pedigree, to $1, pending play through and rules videos. The GenCon BGG video is nearly incomprehensible -- based on that I wouldn't even sit down to demo the game. (It was amusing to watch the interviewer's eyes glaze over, though.)

I'm very pleased with the addition of a Bot and playing options, especially since I would play this solo most of the time.

Even if the mechanisms were clearly explained and understood, there are the specific cards and player abilities -- how well do they work in making this a great game? (Purging my 1,000+ game collection -- I will only buy "great" games from now on.) A play through video goes a long way to answering that critical question. Even better, a *critical* review by someone reliable who has played it at least several times in the various player counts is preferred. Paid previews are worthless and I don't waste my time on them. I applaud Mindclash for their policy against paid previews.

The absence of rules and play through videos that have become a standard expectation in a well-run KS campaign makes me wonder...

Anachrony is my #2 All-Time game and I KSd Trickerion. I hope Cerebria joins the list.

EDIT: why launch a KS campaign before you have *everything* required for it? Specifically, reviews, videos, pictures, etc. The production time table isn't likely to change if the KS launch date is delayed by a month, is it? Unless, of course, the campaign generates a LOT more sales or bombs? I'd much rather wait for a campaign to start with *all* the rules, videos, player options, etc. in place -- AND BONUS -- a quicker anticipated delivery date.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Larry Schneider
United States
Connecticut
flag msg tools
skifreak737 wrote:
I reduced my initial $100 pledge, based on the visuals and company pedigree, to $1, pending play through and rules videos. The GenCon BGG video is nearly incomprehensible -- based on that I wouldn't even sit down to demo the game. (It was amusing to watch the interviewer's eyes glaze over, though.)

I'm very pleased with the addition of a Bot and playing options, especially since I would play this solo most of the time.

Even if the mechanisms were clearly explained and understood, there are the specific cards and player abilities -- how well do they work in making this a great game? (Purging my 1,000+ game collection -- I will only buy "great" games from now on.) A play through video goes a long way to answering that critical question. Even better, a *critical* review by someone reliable who has played it at least several times in the various player counts is preferred. Paid previews are worthless and I don't waste my time on them. I applaud Mindclash for their policy against paid previews.

The absence of rules and play through videos that have become a standard expectation in a well-run KS campaign makes me wonder...

Anachrony is my #2 All-Time game and I KSd Trickerion. I hope Cerebria joins the list.

EDIT: why launch a KS campaign before you have *everything* required for it? Specifically, reviews, videos, pictures, etc. The production time table isn't likely to change if the KS launch date is delayed by a month, is it? Unless, of course, the campaign generates a LOT more sales or bombs? I'd much rather wait for a campaign to start with *all* the rules, videos, player options, etc. in place -- AND BONUS -- a quicker anticipated delivery date.

Ditto on your kudos to Mindclash for not paying for previews. And, yes, that's what I meant by half-baked in my OP about not having everything ready to go. I wasn't disparaging Mindclash so much but it would have been an easy sell if everything was there to convince me to go all in. And, if I can be convinced, I'll be in for the colored minis.

So Anachrony is your #2? Curiously, what's your #1? I never came close to owning Trickerion and there was a time when I was interested in Anachrony but got turned off by the worker placement (that's one mechanism that I'm a little tired of). I'd have to say that my #1 and #2 are Too Many Bones and Lisboa (I, too, am a sucker for great solo play). And there's another TMB Kickstarter on the horizon coming in October so have to save up some money for that!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Frank M.
United States
upstate New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The solo Bot in Anachrony is what leapfrogs it to #2, otherwise it would probably be #7. I like playing 2P or 3P against the Bot, as well as the usual solo rules.

Top 10
#1: Pandemic Legacy: Season 1
#2: Anachrony (with expansions)
#3: The Castles of Burgundy
#4: Scythe
#5: Orléans
#6: Steam Time
#7: Viticulture/Tuscany
#8: Signorie
#9: Deus
#10: Clash of Cultures

Hot 10 which are my #11-20

#1: Ora et Labora
#2: Blood Rage
#3: Nations
#4: A Feast for Odin
#5: Fields of Arle
#6: Automania
#7: Historia
#8: The Capitals
#9: Raiders of the North Sea
#10: Ulm

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alexandre Limoges
Canada
Montreal
Quebec
flag msg tools
badge
To those in whom the will has turned and has denied itself, this our world, which is so real, with all its suns and milky-ways — is nothing. [A.Schopenhauer]
mbmbmbmbmb
zb1035 wrote:
What about tabletop simulator?

Anachrony and Trickerion are on Tabletopia, a platform which, in my humble opinion, is much fairer to designers than Tabletop Simulator, who tolerates user-made rip-offs and publishes very few games sold as DLC.

I am glad Minclash uses tabletopia...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robin Zigmond
United Kingdom
Durham
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I missed out on both Trickerion and Anachrony due to both KSes being at a time I was trying to cut down on buying games (including deliberately not reading about new games on KS). I don't know much about either (although from what little I know I think Trickerion is a game that I'd like to play but not to buy without having played first, while Anachrony sounds pretty cool).

Anyway, I'm returning a bit to wanting to buy games, and having heard about this one and knowing the company has a great pedigree, and being impressed by what I saw on the KS page (both the gameplay description and the pics), I've decided to back (including the painted minis at the moment, although I'm uneasy at spending $25 on something purely cosmetic - but I don't paint miniatures myself and they do look so much more awesome than the unpainted ones...)

BUT, I agree on the need for some kind of video or at least better description of how the game plays out. Normally I prefer to learn games by reading rulebooks, but as has been pointed out, the draft rulebook on the KS page at the moment is pretty much incomprehensible in terms of letting you know how the game plays out. (For one thing, until I read one of the linked reviews, and saw the pictures of the board, I hadn't realised that the 2 card slots in each Realm were actually parts of the Frontiers - I had thought from reading the rules that the Realm and Frontier slots were separate from each other, although still affecting one another.) I do think I need more detail, as well as more opinions from those who've played - depending on what I see, I may yet pull out of my pledge (it's not likely, but it's possible).

So basically: yes, please do tell us more
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tee Cee
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmb
TDaver wrote:
I demoed it to 3 people in London on Board this week, 2 of the 3 backed (at least that's what they told me) straight up

That's great David. Any chance of, ahem, demoing it to our large games group based around Stevenage? ;-)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eike Meyer
Germany
Hamburg
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
While I find the words chosen by the threads author sound a bit harsh, I completely agree with the request for a playthrough. There are just too many Kickstarters around this year to back the ones missing such information.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.