Subject: First Impressions of Mini Park rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Lauren Park
United States
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb

I am new to tabletop gaming, as well as the BGG community, so take all of this with a large grain of salt. I have also, admittedly, never played Carcassonne (my new copy is on its way as we speak), though I have been told that Mini Park has a similar feel to it. What initially drew me to Mini Park was the simple, colorful art and the cute little hexagon tiles, which I found aesthetically pleasing. While preorder shipping to the US was a little expensive, I have poor impulse control and paid the price almost immediately. Nevertheless, I was quite happy to get my copy of Mini Park this week!

The game component quality is very nice. The wooden meeples are sturdy and the tiles have a good hand-feel to them. That said, I do wish that there were more map tiles included in the game, to allow for longer gameplay. However, Mini Park IS meant to be a shorter game – I would definitely agree with the 20 minute playtime indicated on the box – so maybe more map tiles would get in the way. Still, seeing the park all set up at the end of the game is nice…. but imagine it twice as big! Maybe there will be some expansions in the future, to accommodate longer games?

The requirements for the character scoring cards took some trial and error before we fully understood the mechanics, but a more experienced player may have had better luck right off the bat. Once we played one full game, we quickly abandoned the Basic character cards in favor of the Advanced cards. We also added the Expansion tiles for our second playthrough and enjoyed the additional rules.

We enjoyed the game quite a bit! After players had selected their characters, there was definitely a little bit of “take that!” action between players, regarding tile placement, which got a few laughs. Even with that, Mini Park is a relaxing little game. I’m not sure if any of the kids I know would be too invested in the game because of the relaxed atmosphere, but the adults all had fun. It was quick and easy to learn (for the most part) and once you know what the symbols on the cards mean the rules become intuitive, which we like – the less we have to stop and consult the rulebook, the better. Both times we played, we got completely different park layouts too, which was great.

Mini Park now has a nice little spot saved on our quickly-growing board game shelf, right between Biblios and Hanamikoji (literally, that’s where the box sits). Hopefully this quick, amateur review of Mini Park will help someone else decide if the game deserves a spot on their game shelf, too. 😊
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chien-Tsun Chen
Taiwan
Taipei
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for the review. meeple
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.