Recommend

Thumb up
 Hide
7 Posts

Pathfinder Adventure Card Game: Rise of the Runelords – Base Set» Forums » Rules

Subject: Passing and dying rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Ralph Tricoche
United States
Bronx
NY
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
So Did I read this right. If we think we are going to lose we can just let the blessing deck run out. No penalties or anything? Has this been retconed?

Also is it possible to lose your character forever? Like permadeath or you just lose scenario but can play again with same character at a later date even if you died earlier?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dreux Barbier
United States
Austin
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
You can just leave the scenario, i.e. let the blessing deck run out. Run away and regroup.
If you die, that character is dead. Create a new one.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Arlington
United States
Summerdale
AL
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
BIgLatinDude wrote:
So Did I read this right. If we think we are going to lose we can just let the blessing deck run out. No penalties or anything? Has this been retconed?

The penalty is you don't get any scenario rewards and you can't play the next scenario.

And yes, permadeath is the reason you'd potentially want to bail early from a scenario.

Dave
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Throknor
United States
Pittsburgh
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Note you still have to take your turns. If you are at an open location that potentially deals damage at the start you need to resolve it if you stay there. There are also potential 'everyone at an open location must fight x' cards. So if you are about to die but the rest of the party thinks it can finish the scenario it's best to move to a closed location to wait it out.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Karl
Austria
Salzburg
Salzburg
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
A slight penalty might also start to appear once you reach scenario pack 3. Banes you removed from the game will stay removed, so the next run will have slightly worse enemies.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Bagley
United States
Logan
Utah
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
There are also, according to the rulebook, ways to revive people who have died. They are apparently not common and mostly come later. So if you die, let everyone else continue on and perhaps they can save your life. The permadeath only applies if you end the scenario dead. I haven't seen any such cards yet, probably because I'm not far enough along.

I have definitely encountered times where it was wiser for me to just wait it out and hope not to die. But I guess I've always had a healer in my group who could, at some point, cast a few cures and help out.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Ahearne
United States
Ayer
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
It's a bit-off topic, but in Organized Play (see: http://paizo.com/pathfinderSociety/acg) each character gains a "die bump" at the end of every completed Adventure. The party as a whole can expend any number of die bumps on any check to add or subtract 1 for each die bump expended. Also (here is the point) at the end of scenario in which a character has died, the party can expend 3 die bumps to resurrect that character (the dead character can contribute die bumps to this).

That's an Organized Play rule, but I think it makes a lot of sense to house-rule it to play that way with the base set. It's a middle way between permadeath and no serious consequence for dying.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.