4 Posts

BoardGameGeek» Forums » Board Game Design » Works in Progress

Subject: [WIP] Superhero Deck-builder Board Game rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
David Peralty
Canada
flag msg tools
Hi there, I have been a long time lurker and have been slowly noodling on an idea I had for a while now.

I am working on a deck builder board game. It is slightly based on a book that my wife and I co-wrote called Second Class Supers about a society where you can purchase super powers.

The goal of the game is to defeat your opponents and become the last Super standing.

The Rules
Card Types

I am hoping for it to be:
2-4 Players
30-45 Minutes in average length
Ages 8+

It would be played with tokens on a health board with the locations for the different decks and discards. It would include 4 alignment tracker tools in a similar vain as the health trackers in King of Tokyo/New York and of course have a ton of cards with each player starting with the same starting decks and building off of two shared decks using money/credits.

Example card art

I would love feedback, insight and more... I have no idea how to get a board designed yet, and even more importantly, I have no idea how to find a place that can do an alignment tracker tool. Help?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Benj Davis
Australia
Summer Hill
NSW
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I like the flow you've got here, but it seems at-odds with the theme to make card acquisition about money. It also seems and that it calls both superpowered beings and superpowers "supers".
My suggestion is to reframe the game as more emotional and that both Health and Credits become emotional measures, as Willpower to keep on going and Courage to better yourself.
I really like the idea of bringing in more secret identity stuff, and of that being the main source of getting both. I can see the Villain focusing on trashing those cards (more efficient, more controlled) and the Hero side on card draw (riskier, but with the chance to have your cake and eat it too).

I like the idea of aiming for a particular moral extreme and foes meddling with that ("we're not so different, you and I..." ), but the cards that feed off those states being identical is a deathblow for that feeling right. Even giving them different names should help with that, so instead of "Tanks are Weightless to the Mind" you could have "Mind Over Menace" (with a nice picture of restraining an evildoer in a cage of telekinetic force) and "Crush You Like A Bug" (with a picture of the Vader-style Force choke), for instance.
But ideally, they should also do different things.

Apologies if I'm running away with your design here.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Peralty
Canada
flag msg tools
Thanks, Benj. I don't think I'll change the money mechanic as it is at the core of the universe that we built in the book. Supers (people with superpowers and the powers themselves are used interchangeably) are the new elite/super-class in this universe, partly replacing the current uber-wealthy we have today.

Second Class Supers Novel

I'm thinking about writing a short story to go with the game to frame the universe for those that haven't read the novel.

I love dividing the game more along the hero/villain lines though and will definitely work on improving the difference in the play mechanics for those two sides. The art of having heroes and villains doubles by trying to move them further apart and giving them more unique cards...

I really enjoy your unique take on it all and the passion with which you presented your ideas. I will take some time to consider what you said and see what can fit with both the vision I have and some of what you think might make it a more enticing game. Thank you!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Benj Davis
Australia
Summer Hill
NSW
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
That's cool, I missed the bit about the book.

I look forward to seeing more about the project.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.