Popular Tags: [View All]
Justin Rizzo
United States
Hershey
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Occasionally I buy a game based off it's reputation, without looking into it from head to toe. Especially if it's a dice WP game!

But, I must say. I was disappointed with how little is in this box for $48, and even more disappointed when Ladies arrived with next to nothing in the box for $32. Ladies really blew me away, haha. I couldn't believe it.

$80 total for a board, a few wood bits, a few decks of cards and some dice. Crazy. I wish this Troyes reprint by Pearl games would have included Ladies and has a price tag of $60 for one box.

Oh well. Rant over. I own it now and I'm sure I'll love it. I just can't believe I spent that much. Stonemair games must have me spoiled or something.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
William Crispin
United States
Wilmington
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
It is a standout game that has weathered time well.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Justin Rizzo
United States
Hershey
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
wwscrispin wrote:
It is a standout game that has weathered time well.

Yeah. I'm certain I will enjoy it. My wallet is just eyeing me with extreme scrutiny. I typically buy used games, or trade for games. It's not like me to pay full price. But it finally came back into stock after ALL this time, so I pulled the trigger, twice.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Diz Hooper
Japan
Osaka
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Hopefully you're paying for the game design and not the parts. If you judge the value of games by the parts that they contain, then you've overpaid for every single game you've bought.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Justin Rizzo
United States
Hershey
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
thdizzy wrote:
Hopefully you're paying for the game design and not the parts. If you judge the value of games by the parts that they contain, then you've overpaid for every single game you've bought.

True.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alison Mandible
United States
Cambridge
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
JustinRRizzo wrote:
Stonemair games must have me spoiled or something.

Some of that is Asmodee price-setting. When it was first in print (from ZMan) it would indeed have been about $60 for the base game + expansion, if you bought from Miniature Market or whatever.

On the other hand, the game is worth it. I wouldn't trade my copy for anything Stonemaier have published.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alexandre Santos
Belgium
Brussels
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Your wallet won't like Splotter games
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jack Francisco
United States
Cumberland
Rhode Island
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
It's worth EVERY penny.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Justin Rizzo
United States
Hershey
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
senorcoo wrote:
It's worth EVERY penny.

Yeah. I got Tournay off a guy a few months back for $20 in local trade.

I'm a small box game fanatic, especially card games. So I'm excited to try both.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jack Francisco
United States
Cumberland
Rhode Island
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Tournay is ok for me, certainly not bad at all. Troyes is my #2 overall, though.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Justin Rizzo
United States
Hershey
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
senorcoo wrote:
Tournay is ok for me, certainly not bad at all. Troyes is my #2 overall, though.

I personally enjoy the art from these games. So it's nice to have all three sitting next to each other on my shelf.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alex Kendrick
United States
Madison
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
E pluribus unum
badge
mb
JustinRRizzo wrote:
senorcoo wrote:
It's worth EVERY penny.

Yeah. I got Tournay off a guy a few months back for $20 in local trade.

I'm a small box game fanatic, especially card games. So I'm excited to try both.

Tournay is one of my favorites.

Finally got a copy of Troyes. Played a learning game against myself today. Seems like it could be a winner. Excited for a real game this week.

Love the style of art and the setting for both games.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adam P
United States
Seattle
Washington
flag msg tools
mb
JustinRRizzo wrote:
Occasionally I buy a game based off it's reputation, without looking into it from head to toe. Especially if it's a dice WP game!

But, I must say. I was disappointed with how little is in this box for $48, and even more disappointed when Ladies arrived with next to nothing in the box for $32.

I agree with you about the cost, but the reputation is solid. I will also point out that game value is all over the place these days, but I don't see this game's price going down too soon.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nate Dorward
Canada
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Yeah the cost of Ladies in particular is unreal... when you open the box it feels like a prank. That said, it is a great game and the expansion really improves it.

I super wanted to like Tournay and really disliked it. But do recommend playing the "advanced" vsriant straight up as it slows down development at the start and produces more interesting decisions.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Justin Rizzo
United States
Hershey
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Nate Dorward wrote:
Yeah the cost of Ladies in particular is unreal... when you open the box it feels like a prank. That said, it is a great game and the expansion really improves it.

Yeah. I bought on SU&SD recommendation. I obviously opened the two games sequentially. I was initially surprised by how little there was in Troyes, and how lame the dice were (for a dice game...). But, when I opened Ladies, I was nearly offended. I wonder if it's a production decision; make a box that can sit next to the the base game box and pay more, or make a small card sized box that everyone will throw away and pay less. While I like the look on my shelf, shelf space is a premium, and the expansion box will eventually make it's way to the bin, so I would have preferred to spend $15 on a card size box that just had the components. Well....I would have preferred Pearl to put everything in the base game for their reprint, but wishy thinking.

Can't wait to play it this week, though. Just got Voyages of Marco Polo played. I liked a lot about that game, but I think it follows the "super short, tight euro" trend. I enjoy a longer euro, but I can't fault the game for being what it is. I just enjoyed it so much that I wanted it to go on longer! haha.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jack Francisco
United States
Cumberland
Rhode Island
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
JustinRRizzo wrote:
senorcoo wrote:

I personally enjoy the art from these games. So it's nice to have all three sitting next to each other on my shelf.

Also a huge fan of the art and graphic design. Some people don't care for it, but I love it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kris Ardianto
Indonesia
DKI Jakarta - Jakarta Utara
flag msg tools
badge
https://www.facebook.com/gopopnow
mbmbmbmbmb
totally a great game and the expansion does give more variant and worth to have.
It even beats game with overproduced components in my book.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Björn Hansson
Sweden
Bromma
Stockholm
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmb
You are paying for THE GAME not THE MATERIAL.

Do you think the materials in your brand new Iphone cost anywhere near what Apple charge you?

A really good boardgame that cost less than $200 is ridiculously cheap in my book.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Purdon

Twinsburg
Ohio
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
taragalinas wrote:

A really good boardgame that cost less than $200 is ridiculously cheap in my book.

While this seems like a bit extreme, the point is certainly taken. I'm still waiting for some sort of sale before biting on this game. Unfortunately I may be waiting a while, but oh well - many other great games to play in the meantime.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Miguel Guijo
Spain
Madrid
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Is a great game but you are terribly RIGHT!. Is expensive for the components. First edition was in stores for 30 or 35 euro, the new edition i s the same but you have to pay more.
Still one of the bes euros out there though.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Justin Rizzo
United States
Hershey
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
kalisto59 wrote:
Is a great game but you are terribly RIGHT!. Is expensive for the components. First edition was in stores for 30 or 35 euro, the new edition i s the same but you have to pay more.
Still one of the bes euros out there though.

Yeah, I think we pay for the development of the game, the quality of the play, and for the components. While I'm not opposed to paying a lot for the first two items, I still expect the pricing to reflect all three parts.

When you open a $48 box and see that little, it can feel like a rip off, even if the gameplay it excellent. This is probably because I own other games that I also enjoy, that either have more components at the same price or comparable components at a much lower price. Take Castles of Burgundy for example. I paid $22 for that game new, and I'd say it's components are no par with Troyes, which cost much more.

That being said, I will probably enjoy Troyes more!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sergio Macias
Spain
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Troyes. Is. Worth. Every. Penny.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Spath
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Victor Mancha wrote:
Troyes. Is. Worth. Every. Penny.

Yeah, I completely agree.

Plus I don't think it was that expensive. Maybe it was more fairly priced in the UK (but I doubt it!).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Who Am I?
Canada
New Brunswick
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Couch wrote:
taragalinas wrote:

While this seems like a bit extreme, the point is certainly taken. I'm still waiting for some sort of sale before biting on this game. Unfortunately I may be waiting a while, but oh well - many other great games to play in the meantime.

Just be sure you don't miss it while in print.
It's a very good game - the components aren't fancy or expensive, but the design is top notch.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Justin Rizzo
United States
Hershey
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Just got played in a 2P game. I enjoyed it, as did my wife. A good sign. Still overpriced in my opinion ($70 with Ladies). I just pre-ordered Kingsburg Second Edition, which COMES with the expansion. Grand total was $48.

Quick rules question; do the threats only resolve during the actions phase, or do they resolve immediately when they fill up with cubes? Thanks.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.