Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Dan Durkin
United States
Corte Madera
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Neat little game with beautiful art, but why are the suits bell, key, and moon? I read the online fairy tale, and none of these objects are even mentioned. I am currious.

Some other missed opportunities from the fairy tale: butterflies, the snake and the mirror (a possible treasure).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Caleb Bunch
United States
Massapequa
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
durkinphd wrote:
Some other missed opportunities from the fairy tale: butterflies, the snake and the mirror (a possible treasure).

Expansion idea maybe???

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Randy Hoyt
United States
Dallas
Texas
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for the question! One of the fascinating things to me about real-world fairy tales is the many different versions they have in different traditions. I imagine the fairy tale online as the "key" version, the one told in a place where snow is part of the culture. I have some ideas for the "moon" version and the "bell" version, but I haven't fleshed those out.

Also, we do have a Mirror card that Josh designed; the illustration for it has a snake on it. During playtesting, that card proved just a little too complex for the game. If we have the chance, I'd love to bring that back into the game in an expansion.

We looked through a lot of common fairy tale and folklore imagery to come up with the suits. (I drew on my own personal background as a board member of the Mythopoeic Society, and I exchanged emails with a folklore scholar I had as a professor in college.) Bells exist as a suit in traditional German playing cards, and they all three have a prominent place in various fairy tales.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan Durkin
United States
Corte Madera
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
randyhoyt wrote:
Thanks for the question! One of the fascinating things to me about real-world fairy tales is the many different versions they have in different traditions. I imagine the fairy tale online as the "key" version, the one told in a place where snow is part of the culture. I have some ideas for the "moon" version and the "bell" version, but I haven't fleshed those out.

Thank you for your answer, but my question is "Why a key, a bell, and a moon?" It sounds like those objects are unrelated to the fairy tale.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Randy Hoyt
United States
Dallas
Texas
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm really sorry I didn't answer your question:

Quote:
"Why a key, a bell, and a moon?"

Our goal for the artwork and graphic design was to evoke the atmosphere of traditional fairy tales. Keys, bells, and moons are important objects in many fairy tales.

Quote:
It sounds like those objects are unrelated to the fairy tale.

That is correct: there are no keys, bells, or moons in the specific fairy tale we had written for the background of the game. The tale includes all of the character types but not the objects from the suits.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
N Jones
United States
Richardson
Texas
flag msg tools
You are who you choose to be.
mbmbmbmbmb
randyhoyt wrote:

Am I reading three mini-expansions here? Is bidding in our future?

randyhoyt wrote:
Also, we do have a Mirror card that Josh designed; the illustration for it has a snake on it. During playtesting, that card proved just a little too complex for the game. If we have the chance, I'd love to bring that back into the game in an expansion.

Ah I loved the mirror. With the popularity of the game I really hope an expansion will be possible.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joshua Buergel
United States
Seattle
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmb
I can say that I'm actively working on an expansion, with some new things for the deck and for scoring. The mirror is included, along with some hopefully fun ideas. It's a bit early for specifics, but I hope to share more soon
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan Durkin
United States
Corte Madera
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
randyhoyt wrote:
I'm really sorry I didn't answer your question:

Quote:
"Why a key, a bell, and a moon?"

Our goal for the artwork and graphic design was to evoke the atmosphere of traditional fairy tales. Keys, bells, and moons are important objects in many fairy tales.

Quote:
It sounds like those objects are unrelated to the fairy tale.

That is correct: there are no keys, bells, or moons in the specific fairy tale we had written for the background of the game. The tale includes all of the character types but not the objects from the suits.

Thank you, Randy! Best wishes.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.