Recommend
 
 Thumb up
 Hide
15 Posts

Terraforming Mars» Forums » Rules

Subject: CEO's favorite project rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Jacob Casper
United States
Pflugerville
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Can a player use this card to add resources to another player's cards? I was out voted but I don't think it's correct to play it this way.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Though that decision might make sense thematically, there's nothing on the card that would suggest this.

Wow, so the card is just a bit of a mess. There's an unstated design principle linked by another user below which points out that all cards only affect the player playing them unless specifically noted otherwise. (I've only just added this explanation for the benefit of Googlers.)

See: https://www.boardgamegeek.com/article/26903254#26903254

(Incidentally, this would be a great occasion to have the complete card text available. If interested, ask Stronghold Games and Fryxgames politely.)
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jacob Casper
United States
Pflugerville
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
TheUbiquitous wrote:
Though that decision might make sense thematically, there's nothing on the card that would suggest this.

(Incidentally, this would be a great occasion to have the complete card text available. If interested, ask Stronghold Games and Fryxgames politely.)


"ADD 1 RESOURCE TO A CARD WITH AT LEAST 1 RESOURCE ON IT"
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rupert Cullum
United States
Houston
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Why would you want to do this ?
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Derry Salewski
United States
Augusta
Maine
flag msg tools
badge
I'm only happy when it rains...
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Rupertc wrote:
Why would you want to do this ?


I mean . . . probably someway to leader bash with it.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Perhaps you get net money for playing an event card but have no cards with resources on them.

Perhaps an opponent has exactly eight plants and you want to delay him for a generation.

Perhaps an opponent has exactly seven plants and you want him to get the last TR for raising the O2.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andreas Krüger
Germany
Krefeld
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Rupertc wrote:
Why would you want to do this ?


To steal a microbe with ants?
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andreas Krüger
Germany
Krefeld
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
TheUbiquitous wrote:

Perhaps an opponent has exactly eight plants and you want to delay him for a generation.


How does this delay anyone?
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Whoops, sorry ... brainfart for a bit.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
AJ Cooper
msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmb
Thamos von Nostria wrote:
Rupertc wrote:
Why would you want to do this ?


To steal a microbe with ants?

If the target card already has a resource, then Ants is already working. Furthermore you could simply put the resource on Ants to begin with. Same goes for Predators.


TheUbiquitous wrote:
Perhaps an opponent has exactly seven plants and you want him to get the last TR for raising the O2.

Plants are never stored on cards, so I don't think you can use this card to give anyone a plant.



How about this construction though: One opponent has a way to gain a TR. For the sake of arguments, let's say he has 8 plants. Another opponent has one microbe on the card that gives 2 microbes --> oxygen bump; and this player will play before the one with 8 plants. Furthermore both opponents are on 34 TR and the terraformer milestone is still open. The player with plants is close to you in score, but the microbe guy is behind. You want to grant the milestone to the microbe guy, thereby denying it to the plant lady. We will also have to assume that Mr. microbe has no other means of gaining a TR in one action, nor does any other player who acts before Ms. plant.

Wildy unlikely, yes, but possible!

But honestly, I don't think this is allowed. My nickel says the correct interpretation is to add a resource only to your own cards.
4 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael
United States
Hawaii
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Designer's comment in another post (https://www.boardgamegeek.com/thread/1847706/can-virons-acti...):

Lord_Aethan wrote:
As with all cards, they affect only you unless specified otherwise. Usually, a red border around an icon is used to signify that other players are or can be affected. But in every case, it says so in the text.
11 
 Thumb up
0.50
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard Young
Canada
Victoria
BC
flag msg tools
Old Ways Are Best!
badge
Check Six!
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
UnlivedPhalanx wrote:
TheUbiquitous wrote:
Though that decision might make sense thematically, there's nothing on the card that would suggest this.

(Incidentally, this would be a great occasion to have the complete card text available. If interested, ask Stronghold Games and Fryxgames politely.)


"ADD 1 RESOURCE TO A CARD WITH AT LEAST 1 RESOURCE ON IT"
If it was to be wider than just your own cards it would say "another card" (usually), or "any other card." Such a card with at least one resource already on it of course...
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
I stand corrected. Well, something for a future edition, I guess.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jacob Casper
United States
Pflugerville
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Bubslug wrote:
UnlivedPhalanx wrote:
TheUbiquitous wrote:
Though that decision might make sense thematically, there's nothing on the card that would suggest this.

(Incidentally, this would be a great occasion to have the complete card text available. If interested, ask Stronghold Games and Fryxgames politely.)


"ADD 1 RESOURCE TO A CARD WITH AT LEAST 1 RESOURCE ON IT"
If it was to be wider than just your own cards it would say "another card" (usually), or "any other card." Such a card with at least one resource already on it of course...


It made sense to me but I got shouted down
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jacob Casper
United States
Pflugerville
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Metal Rat wrote:
Designer's comment in another post (https://www.boardgamegeek.com/thread/1847706/can-virons-acti...):

Lord_Aethan wrote:
As with all cards, they affect only you unless specified otherwise. Usually, a red border around an icon is used to signify that other players are or can be affected. But in every case, it says so in the text.


Thank you for the link!
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.