Recommend

Thumb up
 Hide
6 Posts

Sentient» Forums » General

Subject: Why is the first person to pass last in the turn order for the next round? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Ryan Morency
United States
Waterford
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmb
I understand how it works, I just can't figure out the reasoning behind it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gustavo Belotta
United States
Billings
Montana
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
It seems like a good price to pay for wiping the board, especially if it's clearing cards your opponents would have been able to use to better advantage than you could have.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J. Alex Kevern
United States
Mahopac
New York
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Odinsfury wrote:
I understand how it works, I just can't figure out the reasoning behind it.

It creates more fluctuation in turn order from round to round (the players earlier in the turn order who have the first chance to pass would thereby go later in the next round), and it also works well ergonomically (you don't have to keep messing with the stack each time - you just place it on top).

Hope that helps!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Martin Larouche
Canada
Longueuil
Quebec
flag msg tools
Melting souls with cuteness since 2007
badge
Lovin' N-16
mbmbmbmbmb
Taking into account that i'm not so sure going first is necessarilly an advantage. In fact, i think you WANT to go last.

If you go last, you get to know if you'll get majority for the tiles before you play, which is a definite advantage which is definitely better than just breaking ties. While going first... well you get 1st pick, but at the start of a turn, you can't really block anyone out of a card as there is just too many options. There's no real benefit there. 1st players break the ties for tiles, but usually, players will play after them so they'll see and take ties into account before playing, making the tie-breaking a bit pointless.

So you WANT to pass early to go last next turn. But if you pass too early to go last, you might not get the chance to clear the board later on. That 4th card to take is always the trickiest as you don't have a lot of options on where to put it. Resetting the board for that last card can be critical at that moment.

My *only* problem with that mechanic that i can't understand is that on the last turn, this mechanic's balance goes up the wazzoo... as the incentive to pass early for next turn dissappears. I wish there was "something" to that effect.

I wonder: If the tie-breakers for tile gains were for those of the next turn instead of the current turn, but in reverse order. Last player on the next turn breaks the ties on the current round's tile gathering...
Players might want to pass early too much then...
I dunno...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin Garnica
United States
West Covina
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
You're overthinking it, dude. It's just a game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
olanmills
msg tools
mbmbmbmb
In most of the games I have played, tie breaking, or the knowledge that a player would have the tie breaker over another player has had a big influence on which card a certain player picks and whether or not they use Assistants in certain situations.

I think the tie breaking is more significant than the turn order, but either way, the stack is important.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.