BoardGameGeek» Forums » Introduction » New User Questions

Subject: Search within geeklist rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Matthias Baer
Germany
flag msg tools
Hello all,

I am looking for a simple way to search for specific games in long trade lists like this (20 different games to be found in 5000):
https://www.boardgamegeek.com/geeklist/228286

I found the option "titles only". But combined with Ctrl+F this still takes
20games x20 pages (each 250 items) = 400 search actions.
Adv. Search did not seem to do the trick...

What do I miss?

Thanks in advance

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dice bags!
United States
Wurtsboro
NY
flag msg tools
admin
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
You can go to the game's page, and look at the geeklists for that game. It may only give you the first instance, if something is on there more than once, but at least you would know if it's on there at all.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Walt
United States
Orange County
California
flag msg tools
Before terraforming Mars, Surviving Mars is required: Paradox Interactive; Steam.
badge
Please contact me about board gaming in Orange County.
mbmbmbmbmb
Try a Google search like:

Lungarno OR "Die Macher" "The Essen 2017 no-shipping auction list. Post your own items for sale!" site:boardgamegeek.com

That will get you the pages that have games you're interested in, but it won't find where the results are in the page. This kind of search may be easier to construct using Google's Advanced Search.

Google will say:

In order to show you the most relevant results, we have omitted some entries very similar to the 4 already displayed.
If you like, you can repeat the search with the omitted results included.

You'll need to ask for the omitted results to get all the pages.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matthias Baer
Germany
flag msg tools
It seems to be a common problem. So the author of the geeklist provided this external tool:

https://peyo61.neocities.org/BGG/index.html

which works fine.

Thanks for your replies.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave D
United Kingdom
Buckinghamshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
You could use the xml api to download the geeklist as an xml file, and then search locally within that.

I have some perl scripts that generates html from the xml in a way that's convenient for me (names of games in table, with popup text containing the desc. of each game) - wrote it for math-trade geeklists, but shouldn't be hard to tweak for other similar lists.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.