16 Posts

Dominion» Forums » Variants

Subject: Dominion Solo Variant - "Rapid Expansion" 1.0 rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
United States
California
flag msg tools
A plain and simple rule set for a pretty tense solo experience.

Setup:
10 stacks of Kingdom cards with 5 in each.
24 Estate
12 Duchy
12 Province

Player Starting Deck: 7 Copper, 3 Estate

Gameplay: Standard rules, but at the end of each of the player's turns add 1 Duchy to a separate "Dominion Deck". Once all Duchy cards are depleted, start adding 1 Estate card to the Dominion Deck at the end of the turn. Once all Estate cards are depleted, start adding 1 Province card to the Dominion Deck at the end of the turn.

End Game Conditions: Standard
1. Any 3 piles are depleted.
2. All Province cards are depleted.

Scoring: Standard. Total the player's victory points and compare it to the total of victory points in the Dominion Deck.

Note: I have playtested this only 5 times at the time of posting, with Dominion beating me 3-2. I have not gone through many of the other variants here, (and really, who could blame me for not looking through all 893 threads at the time of posting?) so if any of this looks just a little "too familiar" please let me know where I can look to verify that they are the same. Once verified, I will go ahead and "kill off" this thread

Edit: included how many of each (regular) victory point cards are used. (Shout outs to Scion13)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
  • [+]
  • 1155279. Yutsud
  • 1d12 =
  • (3) =
  • Don't know what this is for, but let's try :)
  • Sun Sep 17, 2017 6:53 pm
Jonathan Demers
United States
Providence
Rhode Island
flag msg tools
“So most men teach, and few men learn.” ~Sador, The Children of Hurin
badge
“Let the unseen days be. Today is more than enough.” ~Sador, The Children of Hurin
mbmbmbmbmb
Sounds like fun! I'll have to try it out soon

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
mortego
United States
New Kensington
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Okay, I tried this a few times tonight, it's tough. The AI gets a 3 pt Duchy point card at the my turn (during the AI's turn, that is) then when that pile is gone the AI starts to get the 1 point Estate cards then that pile is gone they start on the 6 point Province cards.
very tough.

I tried it with the AI starting with the Estate cards then Duchy cards then Province cards, a bit better but still tough.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
California
flag msg tools
I appreciate any and all feedback on this 1.0 version. Perhaps we should also be tracking scores as we all try this out? I'll have my last 4 scores at the bottom of this post (I really wish I was recording final scores from the start instead of just win/lose...) I've never had a game go on long enough for the AI to start taking the 6 pt cards. I typically start pretty early on depleting one of the Kingdom stacks, if not leaving just 1 card in 1 or 2 stacks. This way, I have a way to end the game very quickly when I realize that the 1 pt cards are just about depleted. I feel that it is fare; but don't get me wrong, it's still tough! I guess it should be noted that I am using the "First Game" loadout (for testing purposes). I'll start customizing (or maybe even randomizing) to see how the games progress from there.

Game 1: Player - 55 / AI - 51
Game 2: Player - 40 / AI - 54
Game 3: Player - 51 / AI - 45
Game 4: Player - 41 / AI - 42
I found game 4 particularly interesting. I changed my strategy to try to get as many 3pt Duchy as quickly as possible. Whenever I had exactly 2 Treasure I would also get 1pt Estates. Interesting how the AI only beat me by 1 that game.

edit: formating

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve H
msg tools
Yutsud wrote:

How many Duchies/Estates are you using? I'm not sure how the AI is getting so many points if there are only 8/12 of each.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
California
flag msg tools
Scion13 wrote:
Yutsud wrote:

How many Duchies/Estates are you using? I'm not sure how the AI is getting so many points if there are only 8/12 of each.

In my box (granted, it's second hand) there are 24 Estate and 12 Duchy. In general (that last game being the exception)I buy very few if any Duchy/Estate. So if I were to buy literally no Estate/Duchy that would leave 12 Duchy (36pts) and 21 Estate (as the player starts with 3) for the AI to accumulate up to 57pts just from Estate & Duchy.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
mortego
United States
New Kensington
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I totally forgot to ask this question, "Which 10 Kingdom cards are you using?"

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
mortego
United States
New Kensington
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
18.42.9.19.2017 - G1

Kingdom Cards Used:
"First Game" suggested set-up
Cellar, Market, Militia, Mine, Remote, Remodel, Smithy, Village, Woodcutter & Workshop

AI - 50
Me - 30

I'm going to try this same set of Kingdom cards one more time.

[edit to add game results]

19.00.9.19.2017 - G2
AI - 56
Me - 26

Used same Kingdom cards as above.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
California
flag msg tools
I use the first time setup as well, though in my book it says to use Merchant instead of woodcutter (I don't even have woodcutter in the box to begin with )

Edit: Forgot to say that the way I typically play is spam the heck out of Smithy/Village/Market.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Vic R
Spain
Tomares (Seville)
flag msg tools
badge
Pure mathematics is the world's best game. It is more absorbing than chess, more of a gamble than poker, and lasts longer than Monopoly. It's free. It can be played anywhere - Archimedes did it in a bathtub
mbmbmbmbmb
Yutsud wrote:
Scion13 wrote:
Yutsud wrote:

In my box (granted, it's second hand) there are 24 Estate and 12 Duchy. In general (that last game being the exception)I buy very few if any Duchy/Estate. So if I were to buy literally no Estate/Duchy that would leave 12 Duchy (36pts) and 21 Estate (as the player starts with 3) for the AI to accumulate up to 57pts just from Estate & Duchy.

In other words you have 34 turns to buy 11 provinces (66 points) to beat AI with 63 points (57+6) and you cant buy more than 4 cards of any kind (to avoid depleting the pile). It is an interesting puzzle but quite dependent on the available kingdom cards (i.e can be quite easy or quite hard depending on the mix, for example attack cards dont help you a bit but prosperity cards will help you a lot)

The more interesting aspect for me is the buy a lot of provinces (11) as the goal in the original game is to buy 5 provinces, thats usually give you the edge to win, so you need an engine which is able to support lots of "dead" cards and thats not so easy, although 34 turns are a lot
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve H
msg tools
Yutsud wrote:
Scion13 wrote:
Yutsud wrote:

Oh, that makes much more sense.

You should probably specify in your OP that you're using 21 Estates and 12 Duchies/Provinces. Saying "standard rules" is likely to confuse people about how many victory point cards you're putting out (which is very important to the timing of your variant).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Confusing Manifestation
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Here are the instructions for setup. Basically:

* All Victory piles (basic and kingdom) should have 8 cards for a 2 player game, and 12 for 3-4 players.
* There should be as many Curses as (number of players minus 1) times 10. So 10 for 2 players, 20 for 3, 30 for 4.
* Basic treasures you can pretty much put them all out, even though it sounds like you may have a double set of them.
* Pretty much everything else you use the whole pile, which should be 10 for most purposes.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
California
flag msg tools
Player - 48 / AI - 44

Kingdom Cards Used(Randomized):
- Bureaucrat
- Chapel
- Council Room
- Festival
- Merchant
- Militia
- Moneylender
- Sentry
- Vassal
- Witch

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ethan Yanyo
United States
Evansville
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I tried this out last night and had fun with it! I was able to buy up all the Provinces before the AI had finished with the Estates, so won pretty easily, 75-52.

Kingdom cards used (randomized):
Cellar
Moat
Workshop
Bureaucrat
Militia
Festival
Laboratory
Library
Mine
Witch

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike B.
United States
Arizona
flag msg tools
mb
I've played this variant 10 times over the past few weeks, really enjoy it, though I think once I added in more expansions, it might have made it too easy (not really a big enough sample size to judge that, so maybe I just drew lucky kingdoms).

In the below games, in #1-5, I only used base + Intrigue. In games #6-10, I used base + Intrigue + Dark Ages + Prosperity + Seaside + Hinterlands.

Game 1:
Baron, Ironworks, Moat, Harem, Torturer, Shanty Town, Bureaucrat, Sentry, Throne Room, Secret Passage

Me 58 - AI 50

Game 2:
Swindler, Merchant, Mining Village, Moneylender, Remodel, Diplomat, Mine, Courtier, Upgrade, Replace

AI 57 - Me 48

Game 3:
Ironworks, Mining Village, Secret Passage, Replace, Upgrade, Patrol, Council Room, Library, Witch, Mine

AI 48 - Me 41

Game 4:
Moat, Pawn, Vassal, Wishing Well, Remodel, Mining Village, Courtier, Bandit, Upgrade, Artisan

AI 57 - Me 51

Game 5:
Lurker, Courtyard, Pawn, Conspirator, Ironworks, Poacher, Mill, Torturer, Laboratory, Courtier

Me 77 - AI 53

Game 6:
Vagrant, Crossroads, Sage, Oracle, Swindler, Bridge, Militia, Gardens, Pillage, Grand Market (plus Shelters)

Me 57 - AI 46

Game 7:
Poor House, Steward, Mill, Bridge, Sentry, Mine, Duke, Pillage, Border Village, Harem (plus Shelters)

Me 64 - AI 44

Game 8:
Beggar, Chapel, Warehouse, Fishing Village, Market Square, Ambassador, Moneylender, Militia, Contraband, Stables (plus Shelters)

Me 56 - AI 46

Game 9:
Embargo, Ambassador, Scavenger, Ironmonger, Cache, Haggler, Highway, Trading Post, Altar, King's Court

Me 74 - AI 52

Game 10:
Storeroom, Ironworks, Cultist, Graverobber, Mint, Stables, Inn, Haggler, Mountebank, Mystic

AI 44 - Me 37

A few stats:

Total Wins: Me 6 - AI 4
Average Score: Me 56.3 - AI 49.7

Dominion + Intrigue Games:
Total Wins: Me 2 - AI 3
Average Score: Me 55 - AI 53

Dominion + Intrigue + Dark Ages + Prosperity + Seaside + Hinterlands Games:
Total Wins: Me 4 - AI 1
Average Score: Me 57.6 - AI 46.4

Pretty fun variant. It unfortunately renders some cards, more in the expansions, completely worthless or way overpowered. I had zero reason, for example, to use Embargo, since no one buys cards but me and I have no reason to curse myself. Mountebank is pointless because it makes more sense to buy a cheaper silver since the action is meaningless. Contraband ends up being a super overpowered Gold since no one can prevent you from buying.

I don't necessarily think this needs to be fixed, since I think you take it into account when you are deciding which cards to buy/play/etc., but it is interesting how that works out.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
California
flag msg tools
I'm glad to hear that someone is still finding my variant and is enjoying it :)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.