Table Battles» Forums » Rules

Subject: White Mountain Conclusions rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Mark Kwasny
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
I think I did this right, but just wanted to make sure. In the Battle of White Mountain, Liechtenstein was eliminated, which meant the Bohemian Revolt was now leading 5-1 in morale. Later, Thurn of the Bohemian Revolt and Tiefenbach of the Imperial Army both took each other out at the same time, so no morale shift. Then the Catholic League Infantry took out Hohenloe, and that shifted the score to 3-3. Next the Catholic League Infantry took out Schlick, shifting it to a 4-2 Imperial lead. Lastly, the Imperial Cavalry eliminated the Protestant Cavalry, reducing Bohemian morale to 1 (Imperial morale was 5). At that point, there were no remaining Bohemian Revolt units, so when they took the next turn, they had no formations left. I assume that means the Bohemian Revolt army loses at that point? The rule actually says “impossible for any of his remaining Formations to ever Attack….” There were no remaining formations, but that seemed the right interpretation.

Assuming that was correct, let me pose a different ending. Say only Thurn (with 1 Unit left) remained for the Bohemian Revolt, and there were 3 Imperial formations left, and the Imperials led 4-2. The Bohemian takes his turn and attacks with Thurn, self-eliminating itself. Morale shifts to 5-1 Imperial lead, but there are no Bohemian formations left. The Imperial Army takes the next turn, and its remaining formations cannot attack any remaining Bohemian formations (since there are none), so does the Imperial Army lose? The Bohemian Army has eliminated 3 Imperial Formations, and the remaining Imperial formations can no longer attack at the start of their turn, so technically, it sounds like the Imperials lose, despite the fact that the Bohemian Army is gone! Is that correct, or am I missing a rule?

Thanks!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tom Russell
United States
Dearborn
Michigan
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
That would result in the Imperials losing the game, though not, obviously, the battle. The onus is on the Imperial Player to replicate something like the decisive victory that they enjoyed historically - they certainly have the advantage in command-control, flexibility, and heavy duty artillery - that Bombard action is your friend! If the Imperials do that on their first turn, the morale would be 3-2. They may or may not get the opportunity to do it again - it's more likely to be reserved for a screen at that point if the straight is rolled again - but think about how that would change how the battle played out: Liechtenstein's elimination makes it 4-1, Hohenlohe makes it 2-3, Schlick 1-4, and the Protestant Cavalry makes it 0-5, and the Imperials win. (Of course, I don't know the situation with Liechtenstein and if his removal could have been avoided, but if he had Retired before he could be Routed, that would save the loss of the morale cube.)

Keeping 6 morale cubes in play gives the Bohemians a lot of leeway; the Imperial Player shouldn't be so sporting. :-)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Kwasny
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Thanks for the quick reply! It's good to know I was playing the rules correctly! And it's good to know that I have no real clue how to play the game well! That means a lot more games trying to learn how best to fight these battles!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.