Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: handicap [+] [View All]
Ryan Morency
United States
Waterford
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmb
I've been playing the base game with my girlfriend and it seems I just have an easier time of building ships than she does. I'm looking for a way to make the game harder for me so that she might enjoy it more. I don't care if my ship gets blown up.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul Grogan
United Kingdom
Cullompton
Devon
flag msg tools
designer
Check out all my instructional How to Play videos at youtube.com/GamingRulesVideos
mbmbmbmbmb
Sure you can.
There are also the evens Stevens cards if you have them too
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve Wardell
United States
Indianapolis
Indiana
flag msg tools
May 25
badge
I think you ought to know I'm feeling very depressed.
mbmbmbmbmb
Odinsfury wrote:
I've been playing the base game with my girlfriend and it seems I just have an easier time of building ships than she does. I'm looking for a way to make the game harder for me so that she might enjoy it more. I don't care if my ship gets blown up.

Yes, I frequently do this when playing with new players. There are a few Rough Roads cards that don't make sense unless applied to the entire group, but you can just re-draw if you get one of them.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ryan Morency
United States
Waterford
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmb
Well I only have the base right now, but I have been thinking of getting the first big expansion to help with this. How often do you apply a rough road card to an experienced player? Is it just something you experiment with?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul Grogan
United Kingdom
Cullompton
Devon
flag msg tools
designer
Check out all my instructional How to Play videos at youtube.com/GamingRulesVideos
mbmbmbmbmb
Just experiment.

I'd also personally recommend Missions as the first expansion to get.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pete Martyn
United States
Guilford
VT
flag msg tools
EXCELSIOR!!!
badge
ZOMGALOMES!!!
mbmbmbmbmb
I've taken the Rough Road approach to handicapping before and it tends to work pretty well.

With just the base game, the easiest way to handicap would probably be to allow your girlfriend a set amount of time to build before you start jumping in. You could do it based off the timer, or start building when she has placed (x) number of components on her ship.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ben Kyo
Japan
Osaka
flag msg tools
Forward 1, Forward 2, Forward 3... siege attack 5?
badge
Why for this life there's no man smart enough, life's too short for learning every trick and bluff.
mbmbmbmbmb
I started adding rough road cards as a handicap, and found my enjoyment of the game with new players increased immeasurably. I think I have found my sweet spot to be 4 cards per run - sometimes I get a relatively easy run, sometimes I have to agonise over my build so much that everyone else has enough time to even build better ships than I do... every game is different, and losing is fun!

For instance, I played a game today and first run went flawlessly, people joked about me having played too much. Second run I forgot to make a perfect ring around my central cabin, and the first small meteorite landed a parasite that found its way to the centre of my ship, where the crew blew themselves up, and I dropped straight out of the race. Third run I had to contend with ensuring that nearly all my universal connectors were only connected to universal connectors, along with the fact that my ship would flip 180 degrees after every open space, which led to the most ramshackle hulk I have ever built. Psychotic crew blowing themselves up didn't help either (I can't remember the fourth card). I came last.

In short, the rough road cards are amazing, and even if you never each touch any other expansion content, they alone can totally revitalise the game if you find yourself winning too easily.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ryan Morency
United States
Waterford
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmb
the pete wrote:
I've taken the Rough Road approach to handicapping before and it tends to work pretty well.

With just the base game, the easiest way to handicap would probably be to allow your girlfriend a set amount of time to build before you start jumping in. You could do it based off the timer, or start building when she has placed (x) number of components on her ship.

In the last game I gave her one full timer of building before I even looked at the pieces. I think she spends too much time trying to make the perfect ship, which in turn lets me make a really good ship. Another thing I thought of trying is to let her look at all of the card piles while I can't look at any of them.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alison Mandible
United States
Cambridge
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Odinsfury wrote:
Another thing I thought of trying is to let her look at all of the card piles while I can't look at any of them.

That seems like it will sometimes ruin your flight and sometimes have zero effect. I would go with Rough Road cards or Even Steven-- something that's guaranteed to affect you but also designed to be copable with.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J White
United States
Cedar Rapids
Iowa
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Benkyo wrote:
I started adding rough road cards as a handicap, and found my enjoyment of the game with new players increased immeasurably. I think I have found my sweet spot to be 4 cards per run - sometimes I get a relatively easy run, sometimes I have to agonise over my build so much that everyone else has enough time to even build better ships than I do... every game is different, and losing is fun!

This really echoes my experience perfectly. I'd emphasize that how much of a handicap this amounts to will vary drastically from round to round, but in ways that really suit every other unpredictable and wacky element of this game.

JJW-T.C.H.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jabagi K
Netherlands
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I have separated the RR cards into two decks, those that apply to all the players and those that can be used as handicaps for a single player. For example the cards that say shoot players that land on planets or every time the race order changes are only meaningful if all the players apply that card. But cards such as piercing projectiles and paying of your dead astronauts' wives are applicable for handicaps because they don't slow the game down for other players.

We had games in the past where 2 players had no handicaps, 1 player had 1 RR cards apply to her and 1 player had that RR card + another RR card. Inexperienced players in that game had a lot of fun watching my ships blow up since I was the one with 2 RR cards.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dav Bud
United States
Marlton
New Jersey
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Odinsfury wrote:
In the last game I gave her one full timer of building before I even looked at the pieces. I think she spends too much time trying to make the perfect ship, which in turn lets me make a really good ship.

My Wife likes to build the perfect ship as well so what we do is I will time myself 2 full timers in round 1, 3 full timers in round 2, and 4 full timers in round 3. She gets as much time as she wants. This made the game so balanced that she beat me by 1 credit last time we played.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nicola Bocchetta
Italy
Milano
MI
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
A quick note: even-Steven cards are not a strong handicap/bonus, while some rough Rough Roads cards are rather impacting.

So if you think that the difference is small, you can use the former, but if the experience gap is larger, use one or more of the latter.

If you have access to both, you can give an even Steven card to the inexperienced player, and take a RR for you.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.