Recommend
1 
 Thumb up
 Hide
13 Posts

This War of Mine: The Board Game» Forums » Rules

Subject: Must you drink before you eat? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Karen Knoblaugh
United States
San Jose
California
flag msg tools
designer
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Water is listed before Hunger in the journal so it looks like one happens before the other, but I didn't find it explicitly stated that it must happen in that order. It's the difference between life and death for Emilia!
Thanks.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Cantor
United States
Columbus
Ohio
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Karenv731 wrote:
Water is listed before Hunger in the journal so it looks like one happens before the other, but I didn't find it explicitly stated that it must happen in that order. It's the difference between life and death for Emilia!
Thanks.


You can always eat additional food at any time, via one of the advanced rules, but if you do, you still have to eat again or gain hunger at the designated time in the journal.

But that might be enough to keep her alive.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Karen Knoblaugh
United States
San Jose
California
flag msg tools
designer
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Yes, I was aware of that part, but I didn't have enough. If she had to drink first, she didn't have water, so her hunger increased and caused her to leave town. When she left, so did one bit of food that I could have fed her had she eaten before she drank (or not drank in this case!), so she wouldn't have left town (died).
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Lheureux
United States
Grand Rapids
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
This game depends on interpretations of the cards and rules and I always go by the literal approach. The rule says to drink water and then suffer the consequences and THEN to eat and suffer the consequences (if I'm reading the journal correctly) so in the case you give if you had fed the character (can use food anytime other than in combat) and then done your drink action increasing hunger and then done your food action also increasing hunger, the character might have bailed either way.

So for what it's worth if I was playing I would say you need to resolve the water bit before you resolve the food bit during that phase of the turn.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Angelus Seniores
Belgium
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
i agree you need to follow the order in which its written in the journal.

as you can see the many "=>next player" indications, its important to follow the order correctly.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brad103
United States
Skaneateles
New York
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Karenv731 wrote:
Yes, I was aware of that part, but I didn't have enough. If she had to drink first, she didn't have water, so her hunger increased and caused her to leave town. When she left, so did one bit of food that I could have fed her had she eaten before she drank (or not drank in this case!), so she wouldn't have left town (died).


How did you not have enough to feed her. But then she left and took food with her?
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Karen Knoblaugh
United States
San Jose
California
flag msg tools
designer
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Braffe wrote:
Karenv731 wrote:
Yes, I was aware of that part, but I didn't have enough. If she had to drink first, she didn't have water, so her hunger increased and caused her to leave town. When she left, so did one bit of food that I could have fed her had she eaten before she drank (or not drank in this case!), so she wouldn't have left town (died).


How did you not have enough to feed her. But then she left and took food with her?

I had one food in storage, but no water. If she had to drink first, she couldn't, and since she was already on hunger-3, she got hunger-4, which caused her to leave town, and it said to discard one food from storage when she left.

If I was able to feed her first, she could have consumed the food, decreased her hunger to hunger-2, then when she had to drink but couldn't, she would have become hunger-3 again and remained alive.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tim Kelly
United States
Richardson
Texas
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Karenv731 wrote:

I had one food in storage, but no water. If she had to drink first, she couldn't, and since she was already on hunger-3, she got hunger-4, which caused her to leave town, and it said to discard one food from storage when she left.

If I was able to feed her first, she could have consumed the food, decreased her hunger to hunger-2, then when she had to drink but couldn't, she would have become hunger-3 again and remained alive.

Did you know lack of water is not automatically a +1 hunger? You might have rolled the die and merely increased her misery.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Karen Knoblaugh
United States
San Jose
California
flag msg tools
designer
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
tkelly wrote:
Karenv731 wrote:

I had one food in storage, but no water. If she had to drink first, she couldn't, and since she was already on hunger-3, she got hunger-4, which caused her to leave town, and it said to discard one food from storage when she left.

If I was able to feed her first, she could have consumed the food, decreased her hunger to hunger-2, then when she had to drink but couldn't, she would have become hunger-3 again and remained alive.

Did you know lack of water is not automatically a +1 hunger? You might have rolled the die and merely increased her misery.
Yes, but in my instance, because she did roll hunger, I continued that in my example, however, even rolling misery wouldn't have been good for her. Life is tough for this poor girl!
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brad103
United States
Skaneateles
New York
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Karenv731 wrote:
Karenv731 wrote:
Yes, I was aware of that part, but I didn't have enough. If she had to drink first, she didn't have water, so her hunger increased and caused her to leave town. When she left, so did one bit of food that I could have fed her had she eaten before she drank (or not drank in this case!), so she wouldn't have left town (died).

I had one food in storage, but no water. If she had to drink first, she couldn't, and since she was already on hunger-3, she got hunger-4, which caused her to leave town, and it said to discard one food from storage when she left.

If I was able to feed her first, she could have consumed the food, decreased her hunger to hunger-2, then when she had to drink but couldn't, she would have become hunger-3 again and remained alive.


Ok, now my question is. If you were aware you could feed her before hand to save her, why didn't you?

Just trying to wrap my head around this.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Cantor
United States
Columbus
Ohio
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Braffe wrote:

Ok, now my question is. If you were aware you could feed her before hand to save her, why didn't you?

Just trying to wrap my head around this.


The "before" feed wouldn't have replaced the dusk feed, so that one would have raised hunger back to 4 and either way she leaves and the food's gone. Same outcome either way.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brad103
United States
Skaneateles
New York
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Would depend on the food. But as seen with the number, it was just raw food.

Seems like you tried to sacrifice her to save your food. Emilia didn't like that. So she stole the food you kept from her and ran off

 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Karen Knoblaugh
United States
San Jose
California
flag msg tools
designer
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Braffe wrote:
Would depend on the food. But as seen with the number, it was just raw food.

Seems like you tried to sacrifice her to save your food. Emilia didn't like that. So she stole the food you kept from her and ran off


Ha ha! I really was trying to save her, but my whole team was just under brutal conditions and getting no love from scavenging. Oh well, she will be reincarnated another day. zombie
4 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.