10 Posts

Bottom of the 9th» Forums » Rules

Subject: Modifying a 6 rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Ed Ray
msg tools
mbmbmbmb
If pitcher 'modifies' a 6 by adding one ( in which case the value remains 6), is that still considered a nstural 6?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rick Thompson
United States
Taylor
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
Old Ironsides being overflown by the Blue Angels
mbmbmbmbmb
26halo26 wrote:
If pitcher 'modifies' a 6 by adding one ( in which case the value remains 6), is that still considered a nstural 6?

Nope. This - 6 - is a "Natural" 6. Using a DRM to get to 6 is not a natural, it's modified.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
s dog
msg tools
Anytime you +1 or -1, you are modifying the die and hence it is no longer natural. However if you use the re-roll ability and get a 6, then it's a natural roll.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ed Ray
msg tools
mbmbmbmb
26halo26 wrote:

I just realized that I misworded my original question. The question is if the pitcher rolls a six and then 'modifies' it by adding one which keeps its value at 6, does it count as a modified 6 because the ability or trait of plus one was utilized. Again the role was 6 not 5.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Martin Gallo
United States
O'Fallon
Missouri
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The answer is probably yes it is still a natural six.

In my opinion, if you modify a roll it is no longer a natural roll so even though it was a six to begin with it is no longer natural. If a six is ruled and then modified down to a 5 then back to a six it is no longer natural (note that since the pitcher modifies first this is an unlikely situation unless the pitcher is reacting to a batter roll and wanted that 5).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
s dog
msg tools
Are you referring to a specific pitcher card? If you are referring instead to the red pitch token which allows you to modify +/-1, that ability is optional not mandatory.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ed Ray
msg tools
mbmbmbmb
svgarcia wrote:
Are you referring to a specific pitcher card? If you are referring instead to the red pitch token which allows you to modify +/-1, that ability is optional not mandatory.

I think (and I may be wrong) that there are some hitters cards which apply to natural 1s and natural 6s rolled by the pitcher. So I was wonderig if the pitcher can apply a useless modification (+1 which has no impact on a natural 6) to prevent the hitter from treating it like a natural 6.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rick Thompson
United States
Taylor
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
Old Ironsides being overflown by the Blue Angels
mbmbmbmbmb
26halo26 wrote:
svgarcia wrote:

I think (and I may be wrong) that there are some hitters cards which apply to natural 1s and natural 6s rolled by the pitcher. So I was wonderig if the pitcher can apply a useless modification (+1 which has no impact on a natural 6) to prevent the hitter from treating it like a natural 6.

I'd say no. The rules expressly state that you can not modify a die to be greater than 6, nor less than 1. Therefore, a natural 6 with a +1 modifier would be a 7, not a modified 6 and not allowed by the rules.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Darrell Louder
United States
Dover
Delaware
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
DownriverRick wrote:
26halo26 wrote:
svgarcia wrote:

I'd say no. The rules expressly state that you can not modify a die to be greater than 6, nor less than 1. Therefore, a natural 6 with a +1 modifier would be a 7, not a modified 6 and not allowed by the rules.

After reading through this thread let me clarify a few hinge:

1) Unless stated by a player ability, you can never modify a 1 to a 0 or a 6 to a 7.

2) A pitcher can never batter's rolled number, and visa versa. Mike and I did this on purpose so you never lost control of your turn. Your choices and modifiers still have weight in the game and not cancelled out by a "cheap" ability. It makes players feel cheated- and we aren't into that sort of design.

3) If you roll a Nat 6 that means you rolled the Die and that was the side that ended face-up at the conclusion of that roll. This also includes rerolls. If you Modify a 6 to a 5 and then back to a 6 (for some strange reason) you turned your Nat6 to a Mod6.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ed Ray
msg tools
mbmbmbmb
I think you may have partly misunderstood my question --- which is my fault for not wording it clearly. SO let me rephrase what I was really getting at. Say you have a player whose trait activates with a natural 6 (not looking at the cards now, but I know there is 1). Can a player who rolls a natural 6 and has a +1 power, use the +1 to make the roll considered modified? (In case he does not want to use the trait). I see that in an earlier answer about Burgerhead, one of the game's creators said that Burgerhead can modify a 6 roll by using a plus 1, and although it stays at 6 (because the dice doesn't go to 7), that counts as modified. (I know that this no longer applies to the rewritten Burgerhead card). But in other answers, it appears that the game creators state that as long as the number on the die is the same as it was before, it is considered natural, implying that a meaningless +1 (or a meaningless -1 for a roll of 1) does NOT change the status of natural. Please clarify.

IN a similar vein, does a reroll count as non-natural? (If so, all you have to do to avoid applying a possibly negative trait is reroll (assuming that you have the right to do so).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.