Popular Tags: [View All]
David Fenton
United States
Houston
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Con Artist allows you to steal all Favor if you've helped solve a problem. What counts as helping? Obviously if you donated resources, but what about if you threatened in exchange for favor (or even something else) and let the deal go through?

For example, I threaten to increase the cost of the deal unless they pay me some resource (no Favor needed). They pay the resource, and I do NOT increase the cost. Have I now "helped", which would let me steal all the Favor (even though I wasn't supposed to get any in the first place)? Do they have to have paid me anything? If I offered a resource for "free", can I steal?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
G. A.
United States
Maryland
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
We interpreted "help" as having contributed to the lowering of the cost, whether that be by pitching in resources or playing a card with the same effect. Threatening in exchange for something would be the opposite of helping.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Fenton
United States
Houston
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Zmogyls39 wrote:
We interpreted "help" as having contributed to the lowering of the cost, whether that be by pitching in resources or playing a card with the same effect. Threatening in exchange for something would be the opposite of helping.

But there is the concept of "helping" by NOT making things worse (which in this game can gain you favor).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bowen Jacobs
United States
Salt Lake City
Utah
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Zmogyls39 wrote:

This.

dsdhornet wrote:

But there is the concept of "helping" by NOT making things worse (which in this game can gain you favor).

"Not screwing you over" is not the same as "helping you fix the problem." If your dad wants you to help rake the leaves in his yard and you don't do it, then you haven't helped him rake the yard, even if you previously threatened to run around and kick the leaf piles over.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Fenton
United States
Houston
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Herowannabe wrote:
"Not screwing you over" is not the same as "helping you fix the problem." If your dad wants you to help rake the leaves in his yard and you don't do it, then you haven't helped him rake the yard, even if you previously threatened to run around and kick the leaf piles over.

That may be so, but if they're offering favor... Does this mean that only those that spend resources are considered to be helping? What if someone previously Soothed it (preventing it from erupting)? I guess I'm curious what counts, since I'd view "looking the other way" as helping (if a cop lets you off with a warning, I'd consider him to be helping you avoid jail time).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bowen Jacobs
United States
Salt Lake City
Utah
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
You'll have to work out with your own play group exactly what you consider to be "helping," but as a rule of thumb, ask yourself this: If a player was completely removed from the game (i.e.: not even playing, for all intents or purposes), would it have been easier or harder to solve the problem or no different? I would only consider a player to have "helped" solve the problem if he made it easier for the group to solve it.

Again, withholding cards that screw the group over is not the same as making it easier to solve a problem.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Fenton
United States
Houston
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Herowannabe wrote:
You'll have to work out with your own play group exactly what you consider to be "helping," but as a rule of thumb, ask yourself this: If a player was completely removed from the game (i.e.: not even playing, for all intents or purposes), would it have been easier or harder to solve the problem or no different? I would only consider a player to have "helped" solve the problem if he made it easier for the group to solve it.

Again, withholding cards that screw the group over is not the same as making it easier to solve a problem.

So you would consider someone who Soothed the problem on a previous term to be helping? If they weren't in the game, it would have erupted and couldn't now be solved, so did they help?

I wish we could hear from the developer (unless you're one of them, in which case my apologies).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bowen Jacobs
United States
Salt Lake City
Utah
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
dsdhornet wrote:

So you would consider someone who Soothed the problem on a previous term to be helping? If they weren't in the game, it would have erupted and couldn't now be solved, so did they help?

I probably wouldn't consider that helping, unless it was specifically part of a deal made between players. "I'll play this soother so that you can solve this problem in exchange for..."

Quote:
I wish we could hear from the developer (unless you're one of them, in which case my apologies).

No, I'm not a developer, though I was lucky enough to be one of the playtesters so I've had a bit more time to get in games than the average player.

Crafty is pretty good about responding on their Kickstarter page, you could try asking there. You could also try asking on their forum on their site- they usually respond there though sometimes it takes them a couple days. I'd be interested to hear what they have to say, too.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.