Thumb up
 Hide
56 Posts
1 , 2 , 3  Next »   | 

BoardGameGeek» Forums » Gaming Related » General Gaming

Subject: Heavy metals in boardgames rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
What are the chances of board games/card games containing heavy metals; especially nowadays? Any games you ever heard of test positive?

Some worry a little bit about manufactures using them, but worry more about the knockoffs using them. Especially since knock offs of board games is getting more and more popular now. Doubt they will last as long either as the non-fakes.

I know ingesting them can cause havoc, but also read that certain ones (such as lead) can cause havoc just by breathing it in due to close proximity.

More people are being alarmed now, considering China didnt learn the lesson in 2009. Your thoughts on this topic please! It generally has my interest following, since we play a lot of board games.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan Ridge
United States
Martinez
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Barring papercuts, punchout dust, and too heavy shipping boxes I'm pretty confident that I have nothing to fear at all concerning the health and safety of any board game I've played for now and in the future.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Trond Åge Låstad
Norway
Bergen
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Considering the ancient romans used lead as a sweetener, I think we will survive "fumes" from lead based paints etc. I am not saying it is good for you, but the amounts are so tiny it makes no real difference.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Traitor76 wrote:
Considering the ancient romans used lead as a sweetener, I think we will survive "fumes" from lead based paints etc. I am not saying it is good for you, but the amounts are so tiny it makes no real difference.

The Romans also didnt live as long on average from dying of old age, and had way higher nutrients in their soil. The minerals in soils today are way less compared to back than, not to mention they actually rotated crops. Something a lot of farmers dont do nowadays, since it would be cost effective.

Thank you for answering that interesting note on Romans though.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J J
Australia
flag msg tools
givemeInfoplease wrote:
What are the chances of board games/card games containing heavy metals; especially nowadays? Any games you ever heard of test positive?

None, and no. How do you imagine they might get into printed matter, painted sandalwood, and assorted moulded plastics?

Even the lead in miniatures wasn't actually dangerous in that form.

And what on earth do you mean by knock-offs?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Boaty McBoatface
England
County of Essex
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
JasonJ0 wrote:
givemeInfoplease wrote:

None, and no. How do you imagine they might get into printed matter, painted sandalwood, and assorted moulded plastics?

Even if they still used lead.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ratimir Ismailobrat
Australia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm pretty sure there's heavy metal in GWAR Rumble In Antarctica Miniatures Rules
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John McD
Scotland
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I wouldn't give a teething toddler a piece of lead or cadmium to chew on, but other than that...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
JasonJ0 wrote:
givemeInfoplease wrote:

Gonna have to log off, but:

There was a large scare/freeze on Chinese products (a lot of toys mostly), back in 2009ish. The government than had a idea, forget if law passed, to make business's that sell products to test for lead; rather than maker. Goodwill, was in the spotlight for pulling a lot of their book, toys, and games due to health concern.The government stated that books pre-1985 could have lead in them. As for boardgames, all were pulled due to concern. Lead is cheap, and is used because it fills a lot of roles.

Ink in products can contain lead, same with tattoo's, anything that is printed. Am not a chemist, but do know that it is prized for its consistency, look, etc, when mixed in.......and once again cheap.

Paint is notorious for lead, enough said, same with varnish. Companies making products in China dont care, if they did than we wouldnt have to worry about heavy metals. I've also had quite a few games, where I feel a coating on my fingers when handling painted game pieces at time, and of course chipping. I, and others have also experienced at times ink (enough to notice) rubbing off gradually on hands from certain games due to poor QA once in a while.

Not trying to say the above two happen all the time, but they happen more than they should.

As for knock offs, popular games are notorious for it. Its even appearing more now in less popular ones. Search bgg forums, reddit, other places. It is not a new occurrence.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
BlackSpy wrote:
I wouldn't give a teething toddler a piece of lead or cadmium to chew on, but other than that...

Agree, but if you touch a product with poor paint/ink job and rubs off (even a tiny bit) on your hands you than touch your face while waiting in a game, and voila. I believe a lot of gamers are like ones I have played with when they are bored/thinking they touch their mouth/nose/eyes.

More indirect ways, rather than direct.

I know the amount would be low from a game having toxic metals. But play that certain game a lot and it adds up. Not to mention, people's bodies already have enough crap in them, no need to add more; no matter the amount.

Also, some studies indicate that it can indeed be absorbed through the skin. Would rather play it safe.

But once again agree with your stance.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Olaf Slomp
Netherlands
Moerkapelle
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Well there is Monopoly: Metallica Collector's Edition whistle
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
France
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I think you would come into contact with more heavy metals travelling to play a board game than actually playing it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Saxton
United States
Affton (St. Louis)
Missouri
flag msg tools
After all, gas can is my middle name. Eh, not really.
mbmbmbmbmb
I want to know how the OP has a Level 2 poster microbadge, when they have only made 110 or so posts?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Middleton
United States
Laramie
Wyoming
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Breathing the air in any major city is more toxic than anything they could put in a boardgame.

I think you might be over reacting.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris
msg tools
mbmbmb
Lead or cadmium in cheap toys made in China was an issue a few years ago. It is pretty heavily regulated now but I can see some small independent KS being ignorant of these laws and going with a Chinese manufacturer who takes a shortcut. I think toys are supposed to be tested for this but board games might not be considered toys. Here is some more info:

https://www.cpsc.gov/Business--Manufacturing/Business-Educat...

It would be pretty rare and even harder to detect. But honestly, even if you had a product like that, it would be pretty unlikely that anything bad would happen to you unless you routinely eat or lick your components.

The biggest issue would be on the publisher because if something came out then they would be forced to recall all the products and possibly sued. Since most board game publishers sell in small quantities I could see where this would ruin them.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Middleton
United States
Laramie
Wyoming
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Board games are legally classed as toys.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Olaf Slomp
Netherlands
Moerkapelle
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
DegenerateElite wrote:

The point being... ?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
No One
United States
Burien
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb

What's a knock-off board game?

Don't lick your board games and you should be fine.

~V
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Larry L
United States
Stockton
California
flag msg tools
He who games with the most dice wins.
badge
I + I = 0
mbmbmbmbmb
DegenerateElite wrote:

I recently noticed a board game with this disclaimer: "This is not a toy."

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Russ Williams
Poland
Wrocław
Dolny Śląsk
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Veero wrote:
What's a knock-off board game?

Slang for an unauthorized / counterfeit edition, typically of lower quality.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Knock-off
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Philip Kitching
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Olafslomp wrote:
DegenerateElite wrote:

The point being... ?

To be sold in the EU, you'd need to obey the following http://eur-lex.europa.eu/legal-content/EN/TXT/HTML/?uri=CELE...

That puts limits on 19 specific elements, 55 compounds and requires that the manufacturer signs off on structural integrity, flammability and radioactivity amongst others.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jerry Martin
United States
Loveland
Colorado
flag msg tools
badge
1 Million Shogoths Killed and Counting.
mbmbmbmbmb
Not all game are considered toys. That is why you often see 13+ on games that obviously are intended for younger users. They aren't restricted to the same quality standards that toys are.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John McD
Scotland
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Postmark wrote:
Olafslomp wrote:
DegenerateElite wrote:

The point being... ?

To be sold in the EU, you'd need to obey the following http://eur-lex.europa.eu/legal-content/EN/TXT/HTML/?uri=CELE...

That puts limits on 19 specific elements, 55 compounds and requires that the manufacturer signs off on structural integrity, flammability and radioactivity amongst others.

That's quite often why you see things "not a toy" on stuff that plainly is a toy. It lets them dodge the regs.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Cameron Harris
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Traitor76 wrote:

Some scientists and historians attribute the use of lead to the downfall of Rome... So. I wouldn't really say that is an indication of lead being fine!

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/to-your-health/wp/2016/0...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Guest Starring...
Austria
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Veero wrote:
Don't lick your board games and you should be fine.

Oh, now you tell me.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2 , 3  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.