Through the Ages: A New Story of Civilization» Forums » General

Subject: Wealthy Territory I now gives 6r rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Japhet
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Wealthy Territory I gives 6r in the app rather than 5r as in the board game. I wonder, is this intentional? For balance reasons? Will this change show up in the expansion?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jack Liu
United States
Irvine
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Probably a bug but I kind of hope it's a change since wealthy 1 sucks

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Shawn Fox
United States
Richardson
Texas
flag msg tools
Question everything
mbmbmbmbmb
frotes wrote:

It is a great card to help move the event deck along and hopefully sucker someone else into bidding on it when it comes up.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jack Liu
United States
Irvine
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
sfox wrote:
frotes wrote:

hopefully sucker someone else into bidding on it when it comes up.

Yep. It's basically a null event. There are cases where bidding a warrior or T1 unit for it is worth, especially if transitioning troops

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Riku Koskinen
Finland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
frotes wrote:

Certainly not. It's a low impact card you can always seed when you want to trigger the current event. Much like Cultural Influence or Popularization of Science. The resources and blue tokens can anyway be worth colonizing when you sacrifice a warrior or age I unit, and you have proper food production. I prefer it as a 5 resources colony.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jack Liu
United States
Irvine
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
It definitely sucks, but it still has moments of use.

Min you are sacrificing for it is 2 rocks and 2 food, for the warrior and pop. More likely you are sacrificing 3 rocks and 3 food for that pop. Also the MA to replace unit

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kester J
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
frotes wrote:

Min you are sacrificing for it is 2 rocks and 2 food, for the warrior and pop. More likely you are sacrificing 3 rocks and 3 food for that pop. Also the MA to replace unit

If you need the warrior, then yes, this is the right way to look at it because you'll have to replace it. If you're transitioning to a cavalry-heavy army (or even artillery-heavy, if you're well into age II when wealthy I pops) then you don't mind losing the warrior, so it's a form of sunk cost that you can ignore (and the colonisation might even be a nice way to free up a yellow token). I guess this is one of the moments of use you refer to.

I'm not going to argue it's an amazing colony either - but at least it's better than Historic I
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jack Liu
United States
Irvine
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Kester wrote:
frotes wrote:

If you need the warrior, then yes, this is the right way to look at it because you'll have to replace it. If you're transitioning to a cavalry-heavy army (or even artillery-heavy, if you're well into age II when wealthy I pops) then you don't mind losing the warrior, so it's a form of sunk cost that you can ignore (and the colonisation might even be a nice way to free up a yellow token). I guess this is one of the moments of use you refer to.

I'm not going to argue it's an amazing colony either - but at least it's better than Historic I

Yep exactly. Although personality I give Historic 1 a bump over this, the happiness can be an extra pop early and can double with St. Peter

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark C
United States
Ypsilanti
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmb
I love the blue tokens. Not only do you get 5, now 6 resources, you're guaranteed to be able to store at least 3 with the additional tokens. It often comes out early enough that you can afford to rebuild it without the risk that comes in mid-late age II. It can be wonderful for transitioning tactics, especially if you have wave of nationalism. It can also allow you to take and play an Age I wonder all at once. There's also Cook and Impact of colonies as well. It may be weaker than most, but I can't remember the last time I saw it go around with no one bidding on it.

On the downside, you're typically looking at the food and resources to replace a unit, as well as a civil and military action.

There are other reasons I think the card is good for the game, but YMMV.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Riku Koskinen
Finland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Gamer_Dog wrote:
I love the blue tokens. Not only do you get 5, now 6 resources

Has it been officially confirmed that it's 6 resources? I always thought it was a mistake in the app. I understand that unless the latest patch in the app changed this, you still get 6 in it, but as this is the cardboard forum I wouldn't say "you now get 6 from Wealthy I". Well unless there is errata from the publisher or someone who represents them.

Anyway, blue tokens are more useful than people tend to give credit for. Their effect is just so invisible that it is hard to appreciate them. There are many times in the game, also after age A events have resolved, when you have the decision to corrupt or make a suboptimal play. This could be leaving a card you'd like to have on the row, or increasing population instead of upgrading something for more immediate gain.

While there is a limit to how many extra blue tokens are actually useful, the first 3 extras are going to make playing much smoother. This is something to keep in mind when bidding for Wealthy I.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kester J
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Padish wrote:
Gamer_Dog wrote:
I love the blue tokens. Not only do you get 5, now 6 resources

Has it been officially confirmed that it's 6 resources? I always thought it was a mistake in the app. I understand that unless the latest patch in the app changed this, you still get 6 in it, but as this is the cardboard forum I wouldn't say "you now get 6 from Wealthy I". Well unless there is errata from the publisher or someone who represents them.

Anyway, blue tokens are more useful than people tend to give credit for. Their effect is just so invisible that it is hard to appreciate them. There are many times in the game, also after age A events have resolved, when you have the decision to corrupt or make a suboptimal play. This could be leaving a card you'd like to have on the row, or increasing population instead of upgrading something for more immediate gain.

While there is a limit to how many extra blue tokens are actually useful, the first 3 extras are going to make playing much smoother. This is something to keep in mind when bidding for Wealthy I.

Blue tokens are definitely something I appreciate more the more I play. In a vacuum, just getting one extra is usually enough to avoid corruption without having to make otherwise suboptimal moves. Developed Territory I is ideal, but of course that option isn't always available; in those cases, the 3 from Wealthy I can definitely help out, and especially if you've already taken a Vast Territory.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Grant
United States
Cuyahoga Falls
Ohio
flag msg tools
One of the best gaming weekends in Ohio since 2010. Search facebook for "BOGA Weekend Retreat" for more info!
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Padish wrote:

Latest word in the other thread discussing this is that Paul Grogan is asking for an official answer, but none has been posted yet.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Canada
Edmonton
Alberta
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I actually really like Wealthy Territory 1. Makes it much easier to go from Bronze to Coal. I only play 4 player games, not nearly enough yellow cards to go around.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jack Liu
United States
Irvine
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Answer for those who haven't seen it
https://boardgamegeek.com/article/27575736#27575736

I like wealthy at 6, it's more reasonable to pickup now (assuming the timing works out)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.