Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Christiaan Meijer
Netherlands
Holland
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I never knew about the KS for this game. I was researching DOTR when I stumbled uppon this game. Long story short I bought this game and I love it! Though I am sad I missed the KS for this and are unable to find the KS exclusive characters anywhere.

Does someone know if they will become available some how or somewhere?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Winvayren
United States
Victorville
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
They have the game with the kickstarter stuff direct through 8th summit but you would have to buy the game again

They have 6 left when I looked. Don't think the game is going to get much support/expansions so probably your only chance to get it.

https://8thsummit.net/product/defenders-of-the-last-stand-ks...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christiaan Meijer
Netherlands
Holland
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
winvayren wrote:
They have the game with the kickstarter stuff direct through 8th summit but you would have to buy the game again

eeuuhh,... no soblue

Maybe I will send an email to there awesome customer service. whistleshake
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Neil Edmonds
United States
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
Do you need more card ideas for the D&D Adventure System games?
mbmbmbmbmb
Richard Launius has more hero packs planned for Defenders of the Last Stand. One of the hero packs will be the missing Kickstarter heroes, so retail customers won't miss out. The question at this point is whether 8th Summit considers creating expansions a viable option.

I planned on inquiring about releasing scans of the missing hero cards if nothing happens in the next year or two; you never know, sometimes games find new life at a different publisher. I would certainly buy a new edition of Last Stand if it meant another chance at life for the game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christopher
United States
Unspecified
Connecticut
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'd buy anything released for Last Stand!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew Turpin
Canada
Falmouth
Nova Scotia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I couldn't wait and created some custom heroes. +1 to buying anything that is released for this. I would love to have more official heroes... sigh
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Condon
United States
Richmond
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
This is really, really lame.
I got this as a early (and incredibly thoughtful) Christmas present, only to find out characters on the front of the box, front of the manual, and back of the cards not only aren't available to me, they may never be.

Is there any print and play options or anything else for us poor suckers who don't have the two characters they and their wife would most likely to play? (They ones on the front of the manual, if it matters.)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marco Boschini
Italy
Iowa
flag msg tools
I quote Michael Condon.
I would really like to see both the heroes' scans and maybe the empty template, so people can make their own

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christiaan Meijer
Netherlands
Holland
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
boskoz wrote:
I quote Michael Condon.
I would really like to see both the heroes' scans and maybe the empty template, so people can make their own

That would be great if everyone had a 3D printer at home like most of us have regular printers. Otherwise it is no use.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Condon
United States
Richmond
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'll gladly proxy the figure. I just need the character sheet.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Neil Edmonds
United States
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
Do you need more card ideas for the D&D Adventure System games?
mbmbmbmbmb
Unfortunately, the answer lies at the back of the rule book. 8th Summit requires permission before using their assets. I took at a crack at re-writing the rulebook (something which was already made publicly available), but haven't heard any responses from

JASON MAXWELL
United States
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb

via BGG Geekmail or 8thSummit.net's contact link. I saw speculation in another thread that Jason has been busy with family issues in 2017.

I backed the Kickstarter, but I would definitely add my vote to a PDF release of the Kickstarter heroes if the game is end-of-life. There are some reasonable stand-ins that could be substituted for the miniatures. For example, Rok-n-Roll could be replaced by an Elvis impersonator if an exact-fit stand-in couldn't be found:

If you wanted to add more value to your UK order, perhaps Levon would make a good stand-in for Hat if you clayed in a baseball cap:

Meanwhile Jess could be a stand-in for Chant.

And Dakota could work for Calendar. You could even clay in a fur stole if you wanted.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Condon
United States
Richmond
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
It's not that I'm a completionist upset that I don't get everything, but with the characters in question prominently in the in-game assets themselves, you can tell that they were always intended to be a part of the cast and were held back arbitrarily as a portion of the stretch goals. They aren't organically stretch goal material.

And it's not as if I went into this without doing research on it. I found a LONG thread about lacking women representation in the game, and they said that they wanted to get stretchgoals content so they could include more of it. Fair enough. But then despite that and hitting the goal, they made it so I as a retail buyer can't have even the full basic cast.

I'm guessing that the game didn't do as well as planned so the other material was scrapped. Which sucks in it's own right, but really does rob retail buyers from characters that the main game itself was planned on always having available, leaving us with an incomplete game with characters pictured that don't exist for us.

Lame. Lame. Lame. Lame. Lame.
I'm hoping I can find a scan of them from someone who bought it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Who Am I?
Canada
New Brunswick
flag msg tools
I'm also disappointed that the game seems to have failed to gain any meaningful traction. It's a good system, and I like the setting they are using.

Missing characters in particular are a real bummer - and their exclusion and general unavailability really hurts my interest continuing to play or advocate for the game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christopher
United States
Unspecified
Connecticut
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
They should kickstart expansions...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
reaching out from the in-between spaces...
United States
Baldwin
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Yes, the KS didn't do well. It almost didn't even fund. They did the KS around the release of Mad Max Fury Road hoping to tie into the hype.

Unfortunately, a KS for it's sister game, Defenders of the Realm was also launching. Many were already invested in that system and saw this as a retheme.

So yes, those characters were probably meant to be in the core game or at least released alongside the retail version, but it didn't do well enough on KS. 8th Summitt is a small company with little funds. There's not much they can do if the public doesn't like a game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christopher
United States
Unspecified
Connecticut
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Everyone I've ever met that's played the game loves it. I think the issue was that people didn't notice the kickstarter.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Who Am I?
Canada
New Brunswick
flag msg tools
From a business standpoint, I understand the lack of support. A small company can't risk money on a game that isn't selling well enough to be confident they will get a good return on the time/effort/expense to develop further.

The poor showing on KickStarter could be due to several factors - some entirely outside of the control of 8th Summit. But as someone who missed the KickStarter and bought in later, that is immaterial to me.

What does matter is the state of the game (and how it's being supported) right now. Even though I think Last Stand is an upgrade in many ways over Realm, it's hard to recommend this game over that one because of the support they get.

That's where the story (currently) ends... and personally I think that's very unfortunate.

Knowing there is developed material available that won't be released is frustrating and disappointing. I wish that 8th Summit should release PDF versions of character cards, scenarios, etc. Best case, it revives enough interest in the game to spur sales or make an expansion viable. Worst case, it earn them some goodwill among fans. Either way, if there is developed content they already own it's not doing any good to hold it back until the game is truly dead.

That said, releasing games is a business for 8th Summit, and they have to make choices that protect their own best interests.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christopher
United States
Unspecified
Connecticut
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
If they're not going to support this amazing game with a small but growing and rabid fanbase, they should let other people support it. This game is way too great to go unsupported.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.