Subject: Helper timing - location of Helper while resolving rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Jacob Berggreen
Denmark
flag msg tools
Hi

Let me first state a couple of quotes from the rules:

Qoute 1: Page 5, explanation of the Helper action: "As soon as a Helper is used, place it on the Discard pile."

Quote 2: Page 11, explanation of the Squire Helper: "If you take the Foreman card, you can immediately swap it for the Squire"

The question

When using a Helper, where is it while I'm resolving it? I see 3 possibilities:

1) In my Helper area.
2) Discarded to courtyard.
3) In an imaginary location which is none of the above

How do you play?

Location (2) contradicts "Quote 2". I should then be able to pick it up again without using the Foreman.

Location (1) and (3) both seems ok and location (1) seems the simplest. However, I'm afraid there could be unintentional side-effects or combos resuling from this, although I can't find any.

I'm going with (1) until I find a reason not to.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Redford
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
It is (1) in your helper area. If you have the Squire in your helper area, it allows you to pick up four cards instead of two during the card phase. Those cards go immediately into your helper area, while the Squire goes immediately to the discard pile. The Foreman lets you take s card immediately played and discarded and can be used at any time. So if one of the four cards is the Foreman, you can immediately play it from your helper area to get the Squire back.

As the Foreman needs to be used immediately after another is helper is used, if another player used the Squire during the card phase and you didn't already have the Foreman in your area, you couldn't get the Squire. Even if you got the Foreman as one of your two cards after the other player got his four, it would be too late.

Does that all make sense? The Foreman is really the only card with timing issues like this.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jacob Berggreen
Denmark
flag msg tools
Yup, it makes sense. This is in line with the way we play. Thanks.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.