Subject: Poisoned Land effect order rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Neilan Naicker
United States
Santa Monica
flag msg tools
mbmb
Not sure if I missed something in the rules that clarifies this, but if I play "Poisoned Land" with its elemental threshold kicker, do I get additional damage/fear for blight in the target land BEFORE adding a blight?

Or are elemental threshold effects resolved after all of the base effects?

Edit: Just found the answer on the FAQ: https://querki.net/u/darker/spirit-island-faq/#!Poisoned+Lan...

This feels a tiny bit iffy to me, as some Threshold effects alter the original power (for instance, changing range in Sap the Strength of Multitudes) and clearly don't take effect AFTER the base effect.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
R. Eric Reuss
United States
Arlington
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Quote:
This feels a tiny bit iffy to me, as some Threshold effects alter the original power (for instance, changing range in Sap the Strength of Multitudes) and clearly don't take effect AFTER the base effect.

The general rule is "in order".

The only exceptions to this are things which are explicitly called out (eg, Twisted Flowers Murmur Ultimatums) or implicitly nonsensical to wait on doing (eg, Range / Speed / things that are clearly modifiers to earlier statements).

(Originally, Power Cards with such thresholds had an asterisk on the Range/Speed/earlier effect to call out "there's something you need to check below", but players didn't seem to need it in practice, so it got dropped for visual complexity.)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Neilan Naicker
United States
Santa Monica
flag msg tools
mbmb
Makes sense. Thanks!

Quick unrelated question: My girlfriend and I are really enjoying the game after two plays, but in our first beginner game we got utterly trounced (playing Shadow Flicker like Flame and River Surges in Sunlight) - I'm willing to write it off to just learning curve, but we were also curious how important stat compatibility is (in the beginner game, and beyond): these two Spirits have next to no defensive capabilities. Would it be worth trying them again now that we feel like we know what we're doing?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
R. Eric Reuss
United States
Arlington
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Darric wrote:
Makes sense. Thanks!

Quick unrelated question: My girlfriend and I are really enjoying the game after two plays, but in our first beginner game we got utterly trounced (playing Shadow Flicker like Flame and River Surges in Sunlight) - I'm willing to write it off to just learning curve, but we were also curious how important stat compatibility is (in the beginner game, and beyond): these two Spirits have next to no defensive capabilities. Would it be worth trying them again now that we feel like we know what we're doing?

Hmm, a few thoughts:

1. Both River Surges in Sunlight and Shadows Flicker Like Flame are heavy users of what I call "soft defense" - preventing Invader actions by clearing an about-to-Build land of Invaders. So how a game with both of them goes is going to depend very heavily on how well the players use soft defense.

2. River and Shadows are for the most part a fine team. They don't synergize quite as strongly as River + Lightning do, but Shadows can benefit a great deal from bonus Energy if it goes Plays-heavy, and Shadow compensates for River's one major lack (low Fear generation). They don't have a lot of big offensive powers, though, save the top level of each's Innate Power, so one of you might want to start diving for good Major Powers a little earlier than if you had a more offensively oriented teammate?

3. The stats given in Style of Play are more about players finding types of playstyles they like - you can infer a few things about spirit combos from them (eg, a team that's very light on Offense and Fear will downright have to take some new powers that fill that void, as "destroy Invaders" and "do Fear" are the only ways to win the game, barring Scenarios), but "how well these spirits will work together" isn't something you can tell - that depends on how well the details of their Powers and rules synergize, which is a much more complex consideration.

There are combos of Spirits that don't do as well together, but startlingly few of them - generally, where there's anti-synergy in one area, there's synergy in some different area. Christopher of >G and I once tried to come up with an "anti-dream-team" of 3 spirits that work terribly together, and couldn't figure any general-case ones. (If we assumed a specific Adversary, there are teams of 3 spirits bad vs. that Adversary, though.)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Neilan Naicker
United States
Santa Monica
flag msg tools
mbmb
Great reply, thanks so much. I'm encouraged to give it another go.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Yost
United States
Bothell
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
River also has a big Defend card for their second gain, and is decent at moving/creating Dahan. That card can wipe a city out by itself once you get it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.