Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Mladen Šimić
Croatia
Zagreb
flag msg tools
mbmb
Hi,

I haven’t play this game for cca two years and yesterday friend wanted to play, so we pulled out game from dust and had fun
But since I forgot many rules I tried to bring all situations back to memory and was reading through rules forum , so I noticed I have asked one question several years ago, and didn’t get answer, and this questions also occurred yesterday when we played.
So please help me, here is this question zombie:

What if roll three flags and attacked target unit has to retreat in adjacent hex with swarm token on it? It moves into hex with swarm token (for first retreat) and then:
a) swarm token is discarded, i roll dices for damage caused by swarm, and unit retreats two more hexes?............or
b) swarm token is discarded i roll dices for damage caused by swarm, and unit suffers two more damage, since it has to stop movement when comes into hex with swarm token

Also another question:
Crystal hex - if you start your turn on it and move for example few hexes in order to attack - and you will get extra die to roll? So you don’t have to be in crystal hex when you are attacking, it is enough to start your turn on crystal?
If this is correct I think crystal is way more powerful then blood field...and easier to use

EDITS: added second question and typing errors

Many thx in advance
Mladen
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Giulio
Italy
Scandiano
RE
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Simicic wrote:

Crystal hex - if you start your turn on it and move for example few hexes in order to attack - and you will get extra die to roll?

Yes.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mladen Šimić
Croatia
Zagreb
flag msg tools
mbmb
Hi Giulio,

many thx for crystal, but what with swarm lore card, can you help?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Garrett
United States
Laredo
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
My interpretation is that when your movement ends in the swarm tokenyou suffer damage from unresolved retreats. You don't continue moving after removing the token because your movement has already been stopped.

EDIT: I've reread the card, so let me clarify the order of operations.

"When a unit moves into a hex containing a swarm token, it must end its movement and you roll 2 dice. For each strike and cleave result produced by this roll, that unit suffers 1 damage. Then remove the swarm token from the game board."

First, it is important to understand that retreat movement is movement, so when it says the unit must end its movement, then that includes retreats. So the first thing you do is end movement and suffer damage for any movement not resolved. As it says under retreats:

" If a retreating unit is forced to end its movement because of
terrain, such as a forest hex, the unit cannot retreat farther and
suffers one damage for each retreat it cannot resolve (unless it is
supported)."

Next, it says to roll the two dice and suffer damage for strikes and cleaves, so you do that.

Finally, you remove the token. At this pointed, movement has already ended and all retreats resolved, so the unit will not move anymore.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mladen Šimić
Croatia
Zagreb
flag msg tools
mbmb
Dear Garret,

many thx for your time and detailed explantion, everything you said sounds logical

Sincerely,
Mladen
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nicolas Zhang
United States
California
flag msg tools
One question I have as well about crystal spire hexes: The hex says "If this unit begins its move step on a crystal spire hex, then it adds 1 die to all its combat rolls this turn." One thing that doesn't make sense to me is that when a friendly unit begins the turn on a crystal spire but it's the opponent's turn, it doesn't get one 1 die to its combat rolls (say, for counters), or at least I don't think it does because the text clearly says "its move step". Can anyone confirm that? If that is the case, I find that slightly confusing.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Niko J
Finland
Turku
flag msg tools
mb
"its move step" seems very unambiguous to me. If your model is in a crystal hex at the beginning of your movestep you get the buff.
If your model is in a crystal hex at the beginning of your opponent's movestep you don't get the buff.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nicolas Zhang
United States
California
flag msg tools
Yeah I meant confusing not in the wording of the ruling but in the actual context of the gameplay. Why would your unit be empowered by the crystal only on your turn? Does the crystal shut off at intervals or something. I found it confusing in that way.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Niko J
Finland
Turku
flag msg tools
mb
Can't really help there. I'm quick to accept abstractions in games. It buffs me in my own turn only because it would be OP otherwise, or something.

Or yeah, it's magic. Magic's weird. Weird and cyclical.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mladen Šimić
Croatia
Zagreb
flag msg tools
mbmb
Nicholas very good question.........I have just played with my wife and we played that crystal gives bonus die only on her turn and not for counters (she always plays with guardians)...but i am also not sure was this correct...
If some experienced player can clarify this it would be great?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Niko J
Finland
Turku
flag msg tools
mb
Rulebook makes it quite clear:

Quote:
If a player’s unit begins his Move Step on a
friendly crystal spire hex, he rolls one additional
die for each combat roll performed for that unit
during the turn.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mladen Šimić
Croatia
Zagreb
flag msg tools
mbmb
Ok it is easy to convince me

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nicolas Zhang
United States
California
flag msg tools
Nekku wrote:
Rulebook makes it quite clear:

Quote:
If a player’s unit begins his Move Step on a
friendly crystal spire hex, he rolls one additional
die for each combat roll performed for that unit
during the turn.

Yep, the rulebook does make it quite clear. Just confused from a flavor standpoint, but I agree that it would be too strong otherwise. As you say, I should just accept abstraction sometimes rather than drill down to the bone of the rules vs flavor argument

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Garrett
United States
Laredo
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
My flavor interpretation for the crystal spire hex is that it takes preparation to access the magic of the spire. When the units receive their orders, they know to start accessing the power of the crystal, but when they are attacked, they may be caught off guard and may be unable to draw on the power of the crystal.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.