5 Posts

The U.S. Civil War» Forums » General

Subject: Robert Patterson - Inaccurate Removal Turn? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
According to Wikipedia Major-General Robert Patterson was mustered out of the Union army in late July 1861 after failing to prevent J. Johnston from reinforcing Beauregard at the First Battle of Bull Run but the game allows him to stick around until turn 4 (December 1861) when he is replaced by Banks. I suppose with him being only a 0-0-4 general it doesn't make much difference but I was wondering if this is a historical inaccuracy or if Wikipedia has got it wrong.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eddy del Rio
United States
San Antonio
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
From http://www.historycentral.com/Bio/UGENS/USAPatterson.html

Quote:
When the Civil War began, General Scott mustered him into the Union volunteer service. Commissioned major general of Pennsylvania volunteers, he was placed in command of the Department of Pennsylvania. In May of 1861, Patterson responded timidly and poorly to instructions from Scott to retake the US arsenal at Harpers Ferry. His failure to act effectively gave Confederates the opportunity to evacuate the arsenal, destroy the buildings and join the main Confederate army at Manassas. Scott ordered Patterson to be relieved of command. Patterson received an honorable discharge on July 27, 1861, only three months after he was commissioned.

So [if internet can be believed] it looks like Mr. Simonitch graciously gave Patterson a little longer to do something.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jim Dauphinais
United States
Chesterfield
Missouri
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Baldrick0712 wrote:
According to Wikipedia Major-General Robert Patterson was mustered out of the Union army in late July 1861 after failing to prevent J. Johnston from reinforcing Beauregard at the First Battle of Bull Run but the game allows him to stick around until turn 4 (December 1861) when he is replaced by Banks. I suppose with him being only a 0-0-4 general it doesn't make much difference but I was wondering if this is a historical inaccuracy or if Wikipedia has got it wrong.

"Casualties among Generals from severe or mortal injury generally occur at the historical times per the Turn Record Track."

Patterson and Morgan are among the exceptions (and why the word "generally" is in the rule). In both cases they effectively represent other unnamed leaders. In the case of Patterson it provides the Union a transition to Banks. In the case of Morgan it prevents shorting the Confederacy a cavalry unit.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
ER Bickford
United States
Auburn
flag msg tools
badge
mb
Abstractions are part of the nature of wargames.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for all your replies. I am happy to accept this "abstraction" in the name of superior gameplay/balance. Any game of TUSCW is pretty much alternate history after the first couple of turns anyway. Patterson was effectively sacked for his part in the disaster of First Bull Run, which might not even happen in your game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.