J J
Australia
flag msg tools
Exactly as it says on the tin.

I'm sure this used to be how it worked - I recall that some of the first people I ever bothered blocking were lunatics whose posts I didn't want to see but who kept triggering my subscriptions, and I'm sure they started threads and posted to threads without my subscriptions being triggered, because I really did cease to notice them, even their hidden posts.

Currently it doesn't work that way (as I just today had a thread by someone I've blocked for good reason trigger my subscription to a forum). If I'm wrong in my recollection, then it'd be nice for it to start working that way
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
col_w
United Kingdom
Poole
Dorset
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Are you getting mixed up between hiding a users posts and actually blocking a user?

Hide User's Posts
How to set: Click the drop-down under the username, click "Hide User's Posts"
Effect: When reading threads, posts by that user are hidden for you. No effect on whether a subscription is triggered or not.
How to manage hidden users list: My Geek > Account > Hidden Users
Direct URL: https://boardgamegeek.com/geekblock/list

Block user
How to set: Click the drop-down under the username, click the drop-down by "Subscribe" and click "Block"
Effect: Subscriptions caused by that user's posts are blocked
How to manage blocked users list: My Geek > Subscriptions > Manage Blocks > Users (this last link won't exist if you haven't blocked anyone). Does not hide that users posts when browsing threads.
Direct URL: https://boardgamegeek.com/subscriptions/manage/blocks/

So, to avoid a user as much as possible, you need to do both. If you've done the second and are still getting subscriptions triggered by that user, it needs to be posted as a bug.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jim F
United Kingdom
Birmingham
West Midlands
flag msg tools
Who knew trench warfare could be such fun?
badge
Ashwin in front of Tiger 131
mbmbmbmbmb

It would be great if their posts didn't appear at all, rather than being "hidden".
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J J
Australia
flag msg tools
col_w wrote:
Are you getting mixed up between hiding a users posts and actually blocking a user?

Hide User's Posts
How to set: Click the drop-down under the username, click "Hide User's Posts"
Effect: When reading threads, posts by that user are hidden for you. No effect on whether a subscription is triggered or not.
How to manage hidden users list: My Geek > Account > Hidden Users
Direct URL: https://boardgamegeek.com/geekblock/list

Block user
How to set: Click the drop-down under the username, click the drop-down by "Subscribe" and click "Block"
Effect: Subscriptions caused by that user's posts are blocked
How to manage blocked users list: My Geek > Subscriptions > Manage Blocks > Users (this last link won't exist if you haven't blocked anyone). Does not hide that users posts when browsing threads.
Direct URL: https://boardgamegeek.com/subscriptions/manage/blocks/

So, to avoid a user as much as possible, you need to do both. If you've done the second and are still getting subscriptions triggered by that user, it needs to be posted as a bug.

Thank's Col, I actually did not think of that (but no, not getting confused, as I've never done that in the past, but I am certain that I had that functionality through just one option 5 or 6 years ago). It is a good start for now - but still, hiding a user's posts should have the same functional effect.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
col_w
United Kingdom
Poole
Dorset
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I think both options have only ever worked the way I described.

It doesn't help that BGG is inconsistent in its terminology. When you hide a user, the confirmation says "Username blocked" instead of "Username hidden", and has a link to "Your blocked users" instead of "Your hidden users". The URL for your hidden users contains geekblock, and the page title displayed in the browser tab is "Blocked Users". The button to unhide a user is called "Unblock".

I guess this is because subscriptions didn't exist until later (2011?) and redefined what 'block' meant. Before that it didn't really matter.

But since then, calling 2 different bits of functionality 'block' is confusing. If the functionality can't be merged (so that hiding a user blocks subscriptions and blocking them hides their posts) - then at least the terminology should be tidied up.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.