Popular Tags: [View All]
Dennis _
Germany
Halle
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
islan wrote:
Loig wrote:
I don't know how it is in the English game, but in the German edition we have there's a pre-made map that is recommended for the first couple of games.

We have that, but I heard people say it's not very good.

Haven't found a thread with these complaints, thus, I'm asking in a new one:

In a 3 player initial setup, doesn't Chaos benefit from an almost-instant first objective on system 4B? It only takes one Advance Token, and the only way to prevent this is for the Ork player to invent Ork Roks AND move to the planet in question.

Am I missing something?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Niall Smyth
Japan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
It looks terrible to me too. I've never used that setup, because the board creation is fun and strategic, even in my first game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J Kaemmer
United States
Iowa City
Iowa
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The problem isn't the easy early objective, it's the objectives that are deep in enemy territory. You literally can't even get this set-up using the normal rules.

Each race has an objective deep in their territory that's basically impossible to get. This causes the game to run very LONG and end unsatisfyingly. I have NEVER ran out of rounds playing by the normal rules, only when doing the learning set-up. The length and lack of progress at the end tends to make new players unexcited at best, upset/annoyed by the game at worst.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Samuel Bailey
United States
Minnesota
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
As the person who created this starter map, I am the first to say Dont play with the start map!

Its quite balanced, but as J Kaemmer says, it is very difficult to get that last objective and makes for a long and annoying game. The normal rules where you set up the map yourself if far more engaging and makes for a better game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dennis _
Germany
Halle
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for your answers, I promise to not try the initial setup again.

Samuel Bailey wrote:
Its quite balanced...

So you're saying it's quite balanced because the early advantage for Chaos is equated in the long run?

One almost-instant objective in the first round seems pretty strong to me.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Colin Sham
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
That's exactly what a Cylon would say!
badge
All is dust...
mbmbmbmbmb
Affensohn wrote:
Samuel Bailey wrote:
Its quite balanced...
So you're saying it's quite balanced because the early advantage for Chaos is equated in the long run?

One almost-instant objective in the first round seems pretty strong to me.

All early advantages are equated in the long run, because it takes 8 long rounds to slog for your game winning objective (if you're lucky).

If you build the map yourself as per the normal game rules, I find getting a 1st round objective to be fairly common.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.