Popular Tags: [View All]
Fabian Bohlmann
Germany
Hamburg
Deutschland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hello,

as proclaimed by Prodos you can play AVP with 1+ players. But there are no rules in the confusingly written rule book for this case.
The only option is to play with on faction per player or a not defined amount of models per player.

If you own all expansion miniatures you have enough models to support more than three players with a faction. One could play the Colonial Marines, one the Predators, one the Aliens, one Weyland Yutani, one Berserker Predators and if you have a second queen or enough aliens, one could play a second Alien hive that is in war with the other hive. You even have an big enough map to support such a big group (if you also own the Predator ship tiles it's sufficient).

But you still have one big problem here. It's the action cards. You only own the three sets for the three different species and that is all. If you have 6 players that want to hammer it out between each other or are playing a coop game of Human factions vs Alien factions vs Predator factions you only have a very limited amount of action cards per faction. Furthermore, if you have to share one card deck with another player (maybe even an opposing one) you only have one card of any type in the game which makes it possible that you don't get conditional or other good cards as often as the other player, which can be very bad.

The only thing that helps here would be a second set of cards for the appropriate factions that is identical. Because I am a backer of the Kickstarter campaign I bought the upgrade kit and got the reworked card sets for all factions a second time. Now I only have to compare the old cards with the new ones to be sure that they share the same contend. If there have been changes I have to rewrite the old cards then I have to mark the old ones with blue and red stickers as "active" and "conditional" (these very important information were missing in the original sets) and that's all.

Now I want to know if anybody here has experiences with game groups of more than three with AVP and if you run into other troubles concerning issues playing with 4+ players.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Konstantinos Lekkas
Greece
Karditsa
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Regarding Solo Play - if you are playing 1st ed, you should read the "Survival Arena". In 2nd ed, this has been replaced with "The Last Stand". Both are made for 1+, the Last Stand being co-op.

For more than 3 players, I have tried it as a 6 player free for all and a 9 player free for all. My group owns alot of the items, so we are not splitting miniatures, we are just making lists using the advanced section (personally I have 3 game boxes (2+1) plus an upgrade kit, and at least 2x every other item, and at least another 3 guys have their sets).

My belief is that 9 players is just too much. 6 players was much more fun. Replace all instances of oposing Faction references on the cards with something like "Enemy", so that you can also target enemy Marines as a Marine player. I recommend a maximum of 250 pts per side.

Some pics on fb:
9p
https://www.facebook.com/GenChron/posts/762034460607601
https://www.facebook.com/GenChron/posts/762079303936450
6p
https://www.facebook.com/GenChron/posts/885044584973254

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Fabian Bohlmann
Germany
Hamburg
Deutschland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi Konstantinos, thanks for your reply and the photos. 6 players is also what I think is a good number to play AVP. It shouldn't be more, because it would take too much time for one round to be solved. I think that I own enough models to support every player with his one faction.

What I don't like is this whole point system to determine the composition of a faction. This sounds too much like a war game to me. This was what Prodos had in their mind for the game in the first place, is what I guess.

The KS campaign was long over before they provided any rules or even a downloadable rule book. I don't like composing my troops via value points. I just want a good balanced board game in which I can use any model I like to use. I just want to put it on the board and see how it fares in the ensuing conflict. These point systems are too old school in my opinion.
Prodos should have thought about some other option to determine a balanced game.

I am also disappointed that they don't provide any scenarios for other models than the ones included in the base game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Konstantinos Lekkas
Greece
Karditsa
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Points are used to balance out the game. It is a measurement of "How many Infants are fair to play against a Predator", nothing more.

However, you should try out the Last Stand. It can be played with many people and it is co-op. Points don't matter there. Just get your boys on the table and blast away.

Cheers,
K.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.