Hide
6 Posts

A Handful of Stars» Forums » Rules

Subject: first round combat rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Stephane Onyme
msg tools
is it allowed to expend matter to increase combat strength in the first round of combat?
The rule book states this possibility on page 18, but only after having placed the calculated the strenght difference and placed the combat marker.

thanks for any support on this issue.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Krzysiek
Poland
Chorzów
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
It is my understanding that when neither side decides to retreat, combat commences. Then players can play cards to add more fire power to their combat strenght. It is always the losing side, which plays cards first.

Hope that helps.

- K.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Renaud Verlaque
United States
Shelter Island Heights
New York
flag msg tools
designer
mbmb
Yes. The first round effectively starts with the player whose combat strength is lower (typically the defender unless attacking a surprisingly strong neutral system) being required to expend matter or lose.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stephane Onyme
msg tools
initiating combat
my question was not clear enough, sorry.

the rulebook states that cards may contribute to the calculation of combat strength before the decision to retreat or not.
However adding combat strength by expending matter is only stated to reinforce after this decision has been taken (see sequence in rulebook).

question is whether one is allowed to expend matter before the decision to retreat is made by players.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Laurent Gitton
France
Dardilly
- SELECT -
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Maybe the case where cards give some more strength before the first round is for cards in reserve that may give you some attack power

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Renaud Verlaque
United States
Shelter Island Heights
New York
flag msg tools
designer
mbmb
Tyronyme wrote:
my question was not clear enough, sorry.

the rulebook states that cards may contribute to the calculation of combat strength before the decision to retreat or not.
However adding combat strength by expending matter is only stated to reinforce after this decision has been taken (see sequence in rulebook).

question is whether one is allowed to expend matter before the decision to retreat is made by players.

I do not think so.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.