Recommend
 
 Thumb up
 Hide
14 Posts

Cthulhu Wars» Forums » Variants

Subject: My variant of the Tcho-Tcho rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Morten Brøsted
Denmark
flag msg tools
As I think the Tcho-Tcho's are boring, to the point that I never play with them in my group (even with Sandys nerfs, which also is not part of this variant), I have been trying out a slightly different version.
I still feel they are higly competetive, but just a little more fun.
1. Sycophancy: When a player performs a Ritual of Annihilation, you get one POWER.
2. Tablets of the Gods: Eliminating HP's only yields 1 DP, not an Elder sign.
3. Hell's banquet also yields an Elder Sign whenever a GOO dies (not including Ubbo Sathla).

I feel that this version opens up for more interaction (and less turtling).
Feedback is greatly appreciated.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Aaron K
United States
Phoenix
Arizona
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Does Tablets still have the change of one per HP per gate?

I ask because #3 seems to be the only thing encouraging moving around...but could be ignored and let other factions bear each other up.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Morten Brøsted
Denmark
flag msg tools
I don't think they should be required to control gates as 1 Doom pr HP is much worse than an Elder Sign (BG gets an ES for 1 cultist (1 pp), TT a doom for a HP (3 pp)).
Sure. You can still turtle, if that's what you want. But the pay-off is just not as great as the official version.
I think this version opens up for a different way of playing the faction, which the official doesn't.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Morten Brøsted
Denmark
flag msg tools

I have been testing the variant. New version below:
3 changes to the original Tcho-Tcho.

1. Sycophancy: gain 1 Elder Sign each time an y enemy faction GOO dies.
2. Idolatry: (action: Cost 1) Select an area with a faction glyph or an enemy faction GOO. Move all units from any or all adjacent areas to the selected area.
3. Tablets: When you perform a ritual of annihilation you also receive 1 Elder Sign for each area with both your High Priest and an enemy GOO. Eliminate any High Priest in an area with an enemy GOO.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Aaron K
United States
Phoenix
Arizona
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
kombofink wrote:

I have been testing the variant. New version below:
3 changes to the original Tcho-Tcho.

1. Sycophancy: gain 1 Elder Sign each time an y enemy faction GOO dies.
2. Idolatry: (action: Cost 1) Select an area with a faction glyph or an enemy faction GOO. Move all units from any or all adjacent areas to the selected area.
3. Tablets: When you perform a ritual of annihilation you also receive 1 Elder Sign for each area with both your High Priest and an enemy GOO. Eliminate any High Priest in an area with an enemy GOO.
Those changes sound fun! How are they in play?
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Morten Brøsted
Denmark
flag msg tools
I tried them two times. The changes make them fun to play, and fun to have in the game. I think there's more incentive to not turtle (although they can do that as well, just not for as many points as the official).
I also find that the other spellbooks actually fit quite well and help with the two other ways of playing them: They can be played either for killing opponen GOO's or for getting the HP's to be with other GOO's.
They did not win any of the two games, but feels competitive.

 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Morten Brøsted
Denmark
flag msg tools
Two games extra, these with all beginners, except me. The Tcho-Tcho won both, but had to fight for their win. They are fun to play and play against.
Please try them out.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Diversion Architect
msg tools
mbmb
This looks good. Has their win ration evened out?
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Melle de Jong
Netherlands
Amsterdam
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
So there have been a lot of threads about redesigning the Tcho-Tcho's over the last years, even with the new errata that's upcoming.

I wonder that if you guys would redesign the Tcho-Tcho's, what would you change to make them more enjoyable to play for new and experienced players?

This is the layout I currently use:



I can work out some suggestions and create a new sheet/speelbooks to try out.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Diversion Architect
msg tools
mbmb
This was my attempt- which we found much more fun, though I would probably keep tweaking it. Mostly I want an ability that is more interesting to Sleeper to steal.

The biggest change was to spell book requirements to make the faction more active. I found the passive requirements unexciting for the player, and irritating for the opponents.

 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Aaron K
United States
Phoenix
Arizona
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
diversionArchitect wrote:
This was my attempt- which we found much more fun, though I would probably keep tweaking it. Mostly I want an ability that is more interesting to Sleeper to steal.

The biggest change was to spell book requirements to make the faction more active. I found the passive requirements unexciting for the player, and irritating for the opponents.

Should the bottom left requirement say Elimated or Killed? Eliminating a GOO is not a common thing...
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Diversion Architect
msg tools
mbmb
Ah yes- I haven't treated them as different things in the past
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Aaron K
United States
Phoenix
Arizona
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
diversionArchitect wrote:
Ah yes- I haven't treated them as different things in the past
It can matter for a number of things (Regenerating Starspawn and Nyarly with Emmisary come to mind).
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
High Fire Warden Sushon Azh
Australia
Melbourne
Victoria
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
RedMelluM wrote:
So there have been a lot of threads about redesigning the Tcho-Tcho's over the last years, even with the new errata that's upcoming.

I wonder that if you guys would redesign the Tcho-Tcho's, what would you change to make them more enjoyable to play for new and experienced players?

This is the layout I currently use:



I can work out some suggestions and create a new sheet/speelbooks to try out.

I’ll have to try these out. They sound like a fun challenge for the “sedentary” Tcho-Tcho.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.