Recommend
 
 Thumb up
 Hide
14 Posts

1754: Conquest – The French and Indian War» Forums » General

Subject: To what extent a team game? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
AndyJ Baddice
msg tools
designer
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Hello,
I haven't bought or played any of the games in this series but I'm very tempted, though deciding which one will be difficult.
However I have a couple of queries. The first is, can a player see the cards in the hand of his/her team mate?
If the answer is yes, does that lead to the alpha player on one team dictating (however tactfully) the moves by the other? In other words, to what extent is this really a team game, and not just a two-player game with one team's actions split into two halves, more or less controlled by the same person?
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian Berg Asklev Hansen
Denmark
Vejle
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Quote:
If the answer is yes, does that lead to the alpha player on one team dictating (however tactfully) the moves by the other? In other words, to what extent is this really a team game, and not just a two-player game with one team's actions split into two halves, more or less controlled by the same person?


Yes that can certainly be problem. Very close coorporation within the team is required and that kind of invites Alpha-player domination
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
uwe eickert
United States
Fremont
Ohio
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
You can see the other players cards but a player gets to make the decisions of when to play their own cards, where to move on their turn, and if they want to retreat from battle with their troops. If you are concerned about an alpha player in your group, I suggest getting 1812 - Invasion of the Canada. This is a 2 to 5 player game that is 2 vs. 3. You can put the alpha player on the 3 player team so that you have 2 voices giving ideas along with his.

Gunter
Academy Games
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
AndyJ Baddice
msg tools
designer
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Thank you, looking forward to playing.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeffrey Nolin
Japan
Nakamachi, Hiroshima
Hiroshima-ken
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
A simple fix is to not allow teammates to share information. Both teams are equally handicapped, plus guessing your teammates intentions can be interesting.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Boyd
United States
Abilene
Texas
flag msg tools
I Play With Toy Soldiers.
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
We never look at a teammates cards when we've played any of these games. We do talk openly and freely give advice.
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bill Buchanan
Canada
flag msg tools
mb
baddice wrote:
In other words, to what extent is this really a team game, and not just a two-player game with one team's actions split into two halves, more or less controlled by the same person?


I own 1812, 1775 and 1754 (and soon 878 too). I have always played it as a 2p game, each player controlling both factions of a side. The games play absolutely fantastic this way. So much, that I don't think I'd like playing any of these game any other way.

But then again, I'm not much of a co-op gamer at all.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
AndyJ Baddice
msg tools
designer
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
longagoigo wrote:
A simple fix is to not allow teammates to share information. Both teams are equally handicapped, plus guessing your teammates intentions can be interesting.


I like the sound of this, I wonder why it's not the official rules. Maybe there's some drawback I haven't yet spotted (haven't played yet). I'll try both ways to see what seems to work best.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bill Buchanan
Canada
flag msg tools
mb
baddice wrote:
longagoigo wrote:
A simple fix is to not allow teammates to share information. Both teams are equally handicapped, plus guessing your teammates intentions can be interesting.


I like the sound of this, I wonder why it's not the official rules. Maybe there's some drawback I haven't yet spotted (haven't played yet). I'll try both ways to see what seems to work best.



I certainly wouldn't cut off all communication with your teammate. The rounds, movement, reinforcements, etc., in this game are so limited that synergy between the factions are important to being able to do what you want on your turn.

Maybe have it where they can send paper messages to each other from across the table at the start of a round, or something similar.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeffrey Nolin
Japan
Nakamachi, Hiroshima
Hiroshima-ken
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
WBuchanan wrote:
baddice wrote:
longagoigo wrote:
A simple fix is to not allow teammates to share information. Both teams are equally handicapped, plus guessing your teammates intentions can be interesting.


I like the sound of this, I wonder why it's not the official rules. Maybe there's some drawback I haven't yet spotted (haven't played yet). I'll try both ways to see what seems to work best.



I certainly wouldn't cut off all communication with your teammate. The rounds, movement, reinforcements, etc., in this game are so limited that synergy between the factions are important to being able to do what you want on your turn.

Maybe have it where they can send paper messages to each other from across the table at the start of a round, or something similar.


My suggestion was in response to the OP fear of an 'alpha' player problem. For he rest of us, discussion would be fine.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bill Buchanan
Canada
flag msg tools
mb
longagoigo wrote:
WBuchanan wrote:
baddice wrote:
longagoigo wrote:
A simple fix is to not allow teammates to share information. Both teams are equally handicapped, plus guessing your teammates intentions can be interesting.


I like the sound of this, I wonder why it's not the official rules. Maybe there's some drawback I haven't yet spotted (haven't played yet). I'll try both ways to see what seems to work best.



I certainly wouldn't cut off all communication with your teammate. The rounds, movement, reinforcements, etc., in this game are so limited that synergy between the factions are important to being able to do what you want on your turn.

Maybe have it where they can send paper messages to each other from across the table at the start of a round, or something similar.


My suggestion was in response to the OP fear of an 'alpha' player problem. For he rest of us, discussion would be fine.


I understand that. I still wouldn't recommend he cut off all communication between teammates, for the reasons I mentioned.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeffrey Nolin
Japan
Nakamachi, Hiroshima
Hiroshima-ken
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
I guess it would depend on whether we're talking alpha, Alpha or ALPHA.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
uwe eickert
United States
Fremont
Ohio
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
We allow teammates to openly communicate and share card information because it produces the best play experience for the majority of players. Being able to talk about each others cards is one of the things that gives the game the feeling of a teamwork game rather than just playing a single player game on a team.

Gunter
Academy Games
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
AndyJ Baddice
msg tools
designer
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
As the OP I can now answer my own question, having bought 1754. Based admittedly on just one game I'd say that it works extremely well as a team game.

One player could try to take charge of a side, but it makes much more sense to share the work of looking at the many tactical options. More fun too, poring over the map and discussing with your comrade in arms where you most urgently need to stem an enemy advance or launch an attack of your own.

The shape of the board might also have something to do with this - it's thin but long, 950cm wide, so you're physically quite far from one end, which is best left to your team mate to deal with.

Having a team mate also means you have someone to share the joy/pain of the dice rolls with.

I'm interested in trying it as a two player game but I don't think it will beat the four player experience.
4 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.